2017 Uniform Thread

1 hour ago, Lead said:

Wait

Til

You

See

Madison...

:D

Add Cadets to that as well from what I am hearing from insiders.  I'm saving judgement on all uniforms until I see them on the field...but I know this thread is going to blow up when both those corps reveal.  

5 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

These costumes are absolutly horrible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lead said:

Wait

Til

You

See

Madison...

:D

I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it. Two of the greatest, iconic, masculine  uniforms in the history of this activity are gone. Sad. This is what happens when too many staff members take over a drum corps who they never marched with & don't have a connection to. BAC & former Crown staffers, & Madison & former BDB staffers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it. Two of the greatest, iconic, masculine  uniforms in the history of this activity are gone. Sad. This is what happens when too many staff members take over a drum corps who they never marched with & don't have a connection to. BAC & former Crown staffers, & Madison & former BDB staffers. 

POINT: is there a particular reason being "masculine" (in your eyes) is superior (and, by extension, "not-masculine" inferior)?

If not...well, even if it does, probably, this comes across as rather sexist to me

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

POINT: is there a particular reason being "masculine" (in your eyes) superior (and, by extension, "not-masculine" inferior)?

If not...well, even if it does, probably, this comes across as rather sexist to me

The debate over uniforms -VS- costumes has been had here for years & years. Dino's like me miss the classic traditional unis & prefer them over today's costumes which look like a dance team. Maybe its just me, but I would rather not see every male members member so vividly displayed.

4 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The debate over uniforms -VS- costumes has been had here for years & years. Dino's like me miss the classic traditional unis & prefer them over today's costumes which look like a dance team. Maybe its just me, but I would rather not see every male members member so vividly displayed.

You could always refrain from looking at that area! haha. But on the same token it's kinda weird for female members to be wearing some extremely "masculine" uniform too it's sort of a double standard. IMO the designers are making these uniforms more androgynous over either feminine or masculine. Either gender could wear the costume and it would work. MAYBE you're right a bit though, I kinda don't like the really tight leg look (BK), but that goes for both men and women. Just looks weird to me.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

POINT: is there a particular reason being "masculine" (in your eyes) is superior (and, by extension, "not-masculine" inferior)?

I think wanting a masculine uniform for an all male corps like the Scouts or Cavies is not sexist at all. It's logical. 

As for BAC, I think masculine is the wrong word, a more fitting description would be "hardy" or "aggressive" or simply "bad*ss"

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

Sounds like you need a break from the activity.  Your ship has sailed and the drum corps you long for are waiting for you on the web.  All the old shows are there for you to enjoy, let the kids who were born in 2001 march the shows of today.  Log Off Sir, It's only going to get worse for you.

• Like 5

Interesting crossroads for me with the state of Drum Corps. I was the young person in the 90's who welcomed the innovations and avant-garde. Loved Star of Indiana, etc. Moving forward to 13 years ago, I applauded electronics to the activity, body movement with corps, etc. Then Trombones and other brass instruments were allowed. At first, I was a little hesitant but soon embraced it.

So....here we are, I turned 40 this year. And now, I am confronted with what my drum corps fan predecessors faced 25 plus years ago with progress. (some may argue it's not). Corps stripping away the traditional uniforms for WGI style costumes. For whatever reason it didn't bother me that the Bluecoats did so last season, it was startling at first, but got used to it. Embraced it, perhaps because their show was so awesome (IMHO). Made sense.

Born and raised in SoCal, watching BD pushing the design envelope, I saw it coming. Especially with the scoring sheet revision led by Cesario. It was a matter of time. Hearing the Cadets and the Scouts going to costumes(maybe jumping the gun), away from their traditional uniforms really bummed me out. I always saw the Cadets, Scouts along with Vanguard as the corps that stand by their traditions and didn't think they progress this quickly in terms of their uniforms. I figured the Bluecoats, BD, Crown, Ore. Crusaders and others would lead the way, and yet it was ok with me. In my mind, I compartmentalize the whole uniform, costume progression with corps over here one way and others more traditional over there.

For me, it's not going to stop me from subscribing to FloMarching or from attending a few shows. Is it outside my paradigm of drum corps, yes! But at this point what the hell, let's see what it looks like.

We all have our lines For quite a few drum corps fans and alum, the progression line was crossed and that was it, no more drum corps. I can't be critical of those fans for feeling that way, I know my line in the sand is woodwinds.

I guess, truthfully, my other M.O. is I don't want to be that person who yells "get off my lawn" and raise my fist in indignation wishing for yesteryear. It is what it is. So onward we go and will be interesting to see how these next few seasons will go with the design aspect of DCI.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1