2017 Uniform Thread

Edited by MotoSurfBass

5 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

My only concern is that this trend becomes another haves-vs-have-nots situation that further financially burdens corps that can't afford to play catch up; another thing to drive smaller/less successful corps out of the activity. There's been a LOT of change that isn't just a fundamental shift in the activity, it also comes with a hefty price tag. In the 20 years since I marched, it's gone from owning and running your own busses to spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a summer for 4-5 motor coaches. Then there's not just electronics, but now multiple speakers and microphones all over the field (in some cases). Not to mention the elaborate props. Now we're replacing getting a good 5-7 years out of a set of unis, to having a new "costume" every years. It's already a cost-prohibitive activity for many, many young people. It won't be long until they have a problem recruiting members to fill the ranks of all the current corps. Not for lack of want-to, but lack of money. As it stands now, my 3 seasons would have cost me nearly $7,000, instead of the $1500 or so that I paid to participate.

The way I see it, the way things are going each corps will have its niche. If that niche involves a completely new outfit every year, so be it. If it's a common base with parts that can be changed out (say, Crossmen or Blue Stars), so be it. Corps will fit their budgets and show designs within that niche, and having a new outfit every year or a certain number of microphones won't be as important as how you use them. I had this argument today with my brother, also a Madison alum, who was iffy on the Bluecoats show. In my opinion, the biggest hurdle will be to have judges who simply judge the vocabulary used, and who will not bias certain elements over others.

5 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

The way I see it, the way things are going each corps will have its niche. If that niche involves a completely new outfit every year, so be it. If it's a common base with parts that can be changed out (say, Crossmen or Blue Stars), so be it. Corps will fit their budgets and show designs within that niche, and having a new outfit every year or a certain number of microphones won't be as important as how you use them. I had this argument today with my brother, also a Madison alum, who was iffy on the Bluecoats show. In my opinion, the biggest hurdle will be to have judges who simply judge the vocabulary used, and who will not bias certain elements over others.

I like your optimism, but we've already seen this with the switch to Bb horns. At some point, the pressure to "keep up with the Jones'" becomes too great...especially if they start to struggle competitively. Case in point, the Madison Scouts 2017.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcibrando said:

Fixed that for ya 

sadly

Nobody is making you watch it. You can leave any time you want.

2 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

I like your optimism, but we've already seen this with the switch to Bb horns. At some point, the pressure to "keep up with the Jones'" becomes too great.

The thing is, Bb horns are a one-time investment with sponsorship opportunities... not nearly a long term financial burden that needs to be changed every year, more akin to getting a new set of drums every few years. Additionally, the general consensus was that the Bb horns sounder "cleaner," and that a switch to those would help performance and effect. I wasn't following DCI at that time to tell you if that was true or not, just the consensus I've gotten from those who WERE there.

What I'm proposing is that whatever design elements are used would be judged within that chosen range of vocabulary, rather than against the entire book of design elements. This will happen because we are reaching a tipping point, where we will soon have too many elements to fit all of them into one 11 minute show. Corps will have to pick and choose what they want to use in their show design, and the judges would base their scores on the usage and execution of those specific elements. If that adaptation doesn't happen, the current judging system will collapse in on itself within a few years.

3 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Nobody is making you watch it. You can leave any time you want.

The thing is, Bb horns are a one-time investment with sponsorship opportunities... not nearly a long term financial burden that needs to be changed every year, more akin to getting a new set of drums every few years. Additionally, the general consensus was that the Bb horns sounder "cleaner," and that a switch to those would help performance and effect. I wasn't following DCI at that time to tell you if that was true or not, just the consensus I've gotten from those who WERE there.

What I'm proposing is that whatever design elements are used would be judged within that chosen range of vocabulary, rather than against the entire book of design elements. This will happen because we are reaching a tipping point, where we will soon have too many elements to fit all of them into one 11 minute show. Corps will have to pick and choose what they want to use in their show design, and the judges would base their scores on the usage and execution of those specific elements. If that adaptation doesn't happen, the current judging system will collapse in on itself within a few years.

That's still a gross oversimplification of the issue. When the corps start feeling pressured to change up their uniform yearly to better sell their show theme, it will happen. It already is. Do you think that the costuming of the color guard isn't reflected in their GE scores? Why would it be any different to have the whole corps costumed?

Glad Scouts gave us the photos just before their first show. No lame video rationalization. Just, here it is. Now watch us.

the anti-amp people from 10+ years ago must be apoplectic right now if they're still paying any attention whatsoever, lol

i'm fine with all of this stuff so far, which is a pleasant surprise. i wasn't really sure how i'd react. 

20 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

I like your optimism, but we've already seen this with the switch to Bb horns. At some point, the pressure to "keep up with the Jones'" becomes too great...especially if they start to struggle competitively. Case in point, the Madison Scouts 2017.

Bb horns can be sold at a profit every year and are a financial positive.  They're purchased at a discount and then sold off to bands or individuals almost each year.  With seeing the financial details at two successful corps, it's a significant profit center.

I would dare to say that the switch from G to Bb has helped keep some corps afloat. 

• Like 1