2017 Uniform Thread

Another important element of today's "uniforms" is that they would be cheaper than many of the more traditional uniforms of the past.  As such, it is easier to adapt the look to the show.   Something that would have been unheard of not so long ago.

To a smaller degree drum corps have been changing their uniforms to fit a show going back to the 80s. Maybe before.  The most obvious was Star of Indiana. In 1985 their Disney show was more of a pink top white pants. Then they did the Star Wars/space show. Then the circus show. Then Porgy & Bess. Then the British Show.  Then in 1990 they really changed things. Modified it for 1991 and 1992, and then went to the cream uni in 1993.  

Even the Velvet Knights would make small changes to their uniform to fit a show.  So would SCV and Phantom. 

The Sky Ryders completely ditched their uniforms in 1987 and did a wonderful rendition of West Side Story that perhaps remains the 2nd best version I've ever seen on field after Garfield 1984. Half the corps was in white, the other half in black. 

The difference today is that it's becoming more common place among many other corps and not just limited to a few. I also think the combination of all these uniform changes alongside other controversial changes in electronics, amps, mics, narration, singing, and perhaps some fans are experiencing an overload of red flags for their own personal taste.  

3 hours ago, Grandpa said:

I'm starting to not tell people I marched for fear they will go search the web and see some of the costumes this year.  It's an embarrassment. I'd rather pretend my 5 decades in and around the activity never happened. I've spent most of my life explaining how we are different from marching band but now I'd literally rather say I teach a marching band and not mention the words "drum corps" or DCI...

OK, see you later...

Edited by MotoSurfBass
  • Like 3

Put on SW's uniforms for the first time at this past camp! We move in July 5th. I'm on the far left!

https://i.imgur.com/YfagfHH.jpg

(the tags on the chest were to keep track of everybody's uniform and the pant legs were rolled up for hemming)

• Like 5

Devils Advocate:

How would you all feel if the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps came out in some sort of costume based on their show music?

:bluedevil: 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, hrnguy500 said:

Devils Advocate:

How would you all feel if the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps came out in some sort of costume based on their show music?

Their drummers already do that, to a degree.  For their "traditional" performances they move to historic drums with old-school patriotic marches, then they pick up the modern stuff and go DCI-ish. Totally different look between the two for them. 

Mike

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hrnguy500 said:

Devils Advocate:

Apples and oranges my friend... The Commandant's Own is a military band. Their mission is military first and foremost. They are mostly a ceremonial and recruitment tool.. as such, military tradition and bearing is at the center of everything they do.

• Like 1

Well, my question still stands. What IF the Marine corps decided to go against their tradition? Would people be ###### off or would they accept it? Pretty sure it would be the latter. 

• Like 1