2017 Uniform Thread

2 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I dont understand.  I absolutely hate the jumpsuits.  I thought you meant because I hate the uniforms I hate WGI and DCI which IS NOT the case.

My point was that you hate the uniforms of most groups in WGI and the Bluecoats, not the activities. This is a uniform thread.

Most WGI groups and the Bluecoats wear Jumpsuits, which means you hate the uniforms of most WGI groups and the Bluecoats, correct?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tesmusic said:

My point was that you hate the uniforms of most groups in WGI and the Bluecoats, not the activities. This is a uniform thread.

Most WGI groups and the Bluecoats wear Jumpsuits, which means you hate the uniforms of most WGI groups and the Bluecoats, correct?

Yes, sorry for the miscommunication.:laughing:

I know it's purely semantic, but does 60 marching members all wearing the same thing automatically make it a "uniform"?

In my opinion, the answer is no, it's not automatically a uniform. Bloo's corps proper wasn't wearing a uniform this past year, they were wearing a costume.

I'd argue that what most colorguards have worn for the past 20+ years are also costumes, even if they were identical for males and females. 

Maybe a more accurate phrase would be "performance wear". More and more, the term "uniform" just doesn't work for me with the majority of DCI. 

I realize the impulse of some kids on here will be to go for a dictionary, but I think adults understand that connotation is just as powerful as denotation when it comes to how we actually understand words and phrases. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lance said:

I know it's purely semantic, but does 60 marching members all wearing the same thing automatically make it a "uniform"?

In my opinion, the answer is no, it's not automatically a uniform. Bloo's corps proper wasn't wearing a uniform this past year, they were wearing a costume.

I'd argue that what most colorguards have worn for the past 20+ years are also costumes, even if they were identical for males and females. 

Maybe a more accurate phrase would be "performance wear". More and more, the term "uniform" just doesn't work for me with the majority of DCI. 

I realize the impulse of some kids on here will be to go for a dictionary, but I think adults understand that connotation is just as powerful as denotation when it comes to how we actually understand words and phrases. 

If we look at the accepted definition of something that is to be uniform, worn or otherwise, then yes, they are uniforms. Calling it performance wear does not take away its uniformity.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

If we look at the accepted definition of something that is to be uniform, worn or otherwise, then yes, they are uniforms. Calling it performance wear does not take away its uniformity.

Whose "accepted definition"?   Mine includes an element of uniformity across seasons, independent (mostly, if not 100%) of any specific season's theme.   As was pointed out - no one has called the guards' outfits "uniforms" for quite some time, because they change every year, specific to each show.   If the musicians change every year, specific to each show, why should theirs be called a uniform any more?  

We're officially engaged in a discussion of the definition of the word "uniform".

Please June, come soon. We need you.

• Like 6

Does it even matter? If I were old enough, I would have seen this coming the moment guards started doing show specific !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Costumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does it take away from the activity? The performers can move better and their shows just get another layer of design. God forbid the ARTS change over DECADES. It's like being ###### off that nobody really does classic rock anymore, and the ones who do are usually oldies. Of course not. Music (and performance) evolves.Just be happy DCI doesn't seem to be going the route of the orchestra....

3 hours ago, ouooga said:

We're officially engaged in a discussion of the definition of the word "uniform".

I was thinking the same thing...smh

2 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I was thinking the same thing...smh

the "smh" is what really elevates this post. 

5 hours ago, ouooga said:

it's fine that you don't have anything to say about it or think it's not worthy of conversation, but no need for the condescension, right?

6 hours ago, tesmusic said:

thanks for being an adult with your response. it's rare in here. 

for me, it's not a big deal at all. like i said, it's just semantics. 

i'm not being pejorative with my use of "costume" or "performance wear" to describe what they wear. it's what they wear, and it's completely appropriate for what they're doing on the field.

it's just a weird thing for me to think of anything resembling a jumpsuit as a uniform, no matter what a dictionary says. i've heard a lot of people say that what guards wear are costumes, even when they're all in exactly the same thing. 

just a quirky thing for me. not advocating any official change. i unblocked bird whatever and saw a bunch of shrieking, and realized exactly why i blocked him/her in the first place. yeesh.