Unpopular Opinions?

4 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I am not a fan of the NEW BK.  The last show I liked of theirs was "That One Second", it had some really cool parts that I enjoyed. Neither "Because..." or "The Great Event" were anywhere near as good.  The new BK...all of the brass chords are weird nothing really makes much sense to me , I think it just an acquired taste.  Plus, I really liked the old BK.

I have a MUCH dumber reason for disliking BAC.  It is mainly, because of the PPP girl.  At first it was cool she was that into it like most pit members are.  I got really upset though that DCI would pan to the PPP girl throughout the entire show at semis.  I mean BAC had a good run, but so did Madison.  I thought Madison would be in finals.  I thought it was wrong whenever BAC made finals.   

Note:  I dont actually dislike these corps, but I dont want to see them in finals next year.

Going out on a limb here but I think there is a good chance BAC will make finals....again.  Regarding last year, BAC had their best run when they needed to on Friday night, so that is why they pushed ahead of Madison.  As for the PPP girl; you got upset because DCI would pan to her?  So why be upset at her? Not her fault DCI and the cameras went to her.  Maybe she should have winked. LOL

4 hours ago, BoaDci said:

It's mainly, because of the PPP girl.  At first it was cool she was that into it like most pit members are.  I got really upset though that DCI would pan to the PPP girl throughout the entire show at semis.   

Tom Blair and company are in charge of what shots they take.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Going out on a limb here but I think there is a good chance BAC will make finals....again.  Regarding last year, BAC had their best run when they needed to on Friday night, so that is why they pushed ahead of Madison.  As for the PPP girl; you got upset because DCI would pan to her?  So why be upset at her? Not her fault DCI and the cameras went to her.  Maybe she should have winked. LOL

Like I said, its pretty unreasonable and dumb, its more just that they got in over Madison.

6 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I am not a fan of the NEW BK.  The last show I liked of theirs was "That One Second", it had some really cool parts that I enjoyed. Neither "Because..." or "The Great Event" were anywhere near as good.  The new BK...all of the brass chords are weird nothing really makes much sense to me , I think it just an acquired taste.  Plus, I really liked the old BK.

I have a MUCH dumber reason for disliking BAC.  It is mainly, because of the PPP girl.  At first it was cool she was that into it like most pit members are.  I got really upset though that DCI would pan to the PPP girl throughout the entire show at semis.  I mean BAC had a good run, but so did Madison.  I thought Madison would be in finals.  I thought it was wrong whenever BAC made finals.   

Note:  I dont actually dislike these corps, but I dont want to see them in finals next year.

This sentiment of yours does not surprise me at all...I've read it on here in one form or another for the last decade...every year without fail...the demise of both BK and BAC...perhaps a little less about BK recently as they've moved up the food chain in recent years and more about Boston as they have trended downward...although still an 18 year straight DCI finalist which only 5 active other corps of all-time can claim btw...

I find it just a bit comical that you are complaining about what video coverage DCI desires to showcase as a reason to dislike a particular corps...this is very common practice for DCI to showcase certain elements in a corps show from year to year...I didn't bother with watching multi-cam...so I didn't even see that excessive coverage this past season that you are complaining about...You should just watch the coverage of a past 2013 TOC buffalo show a few years back...that had poor audio quality and just awful and embarrassing video closeups...that show was not covered by Tom Blair who does DCI finals etc...It was only after that show that I realized that I took for granted how wonderful the coverage by his team truly was for drum corps...

I see that you have since revised your opinion/reasoning to be that you feel Madison was slighted in a victory...it was a razor-thin margin btw...perhaps if this was decades past for me I might feel the same way towards certain corps that I was competing against...definitely not Madison though as I have fond memories mingling with members of Madsion when I marched with Boston...so in essence we were really all great friends...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Can see where you're coming from. The Great Event really had to grow on me. But I have to give their last two shows some credit for taking some risks. As for that BAC thing, I only saw their show prelims in a theater and there was only a 10 second clip of the synth girl that I could recall. But yeah, I thought see got way too much time in the limelight throughout the season in general.

I just think that BK is too objectively good to get squeezed out of finals any time soon. Boston could definately stagnate if another corps or two like Madison jumps ahead of them, assuming that both corps will jump right back into where they left off last season

Yeah, let me revise the statement.  I like the corps, I just dont like them as much as I like other ones.  BK's new shows are a very acquired taste (similar to BD) and they are hard for ME to watch.

3 hours ago, friendwhale said:

Can see where you're coming from. The Great Event really had to grow on me. But I have to give their last two shows some credit for taking some risks. As for that BAC thing, I only saw their show prelims in a theater and there was only a 10 second clip of the synth girl that I could recall. But yeah, I thought see got way too much time in the limelight throughout the season in general.

I just think that BK is too objectively good to get squeezed out of finals any time soon. Boston could definately stagnate if another corps or two like Madison jumps ahead of them, assuming that both corps will jump right back into where they left off last season

It was semifinals, semifinals had ALOT of PPP girl.  I really hope Madison is back in finals from what Ive heard they might have coming.

The Crossmen and Bluestars will both keep getting better and will both have their shots at getting to the highest level of competitiveness

All the new stuff added to DCI, ex:electronics/trombones are really great for the activity.

Straight up allowing woodwinds to play solos in shows is better than having a synth make something that sounds like a woodwind but more mechanical

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

The Crossmen and Bluestars will both keep getting better and will both have their shots at getting to the highest level of competitiveness

All the new stuff added to DCI, ex:electronics/trombones are really great for the activity.

Straight up allowing woodwinds to play solos in shows is better than having a synth make something that sounds like a woodwind but more mechanical

I want to see Blue Stars and the Crossmen make a stride here soon.  I really have loved their shows for the past few years.  Truely two  of the most underrated corps.  I wholeheartedly agree with the first one.

Also with the second one.

Eh, I dont know about the third one.:laughing:

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1