Unpopular Opinions?

17 hours ago, Stu said:

If it is your position that DCI judges exist with a herd mentality because they mainly come to the same conclusions on what they subjectively observe, to be consistent you must also hold that same position for MLB Umpires, NFL Referees, et al… Because they all typically come from the same backgrounds in the sport in which they engage, they all go through the same training within their respective sports sanctioning bodies, and they mainly come to the same subjective observational conclusions within their respective competitions on what they observe within the competitive arena. (and if anyone claims that the observed strike zone, for example, is ‘objective’ in baseball they have never seriously watched the game of baseball)

It is also the intent of refereeing to achieve consistent interpretations across the entire pool of referees.  And their job is to make binary calls (fouls, penalties).  Hard to compare that to the task of a marching arts GE judge, whose ultimate quest is to be "subjective".

But since you brought it up, how about we try an analogy.  Say Richard Sherman can do no wrong in the eyes of any NFL official all season long.  Yet as you watch him in action, you notice him having a bad quarter in one game where he mauls four or five receivers before the passes arrive.  Not one of these infractions is called.  Two months later, with different referees, he again slips out of his usual excellent form and interferes with receivers early several times, without a single flag thrown his way.  Your reaction?

That is analogous to what I experience watching drum corps contests play out.  Corps who are typically excellent should typically get excellent scores.  Instead, they always get excellent scores, even for an atypical performance.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

It is also the intent of refereeing to achieve consistent interpretations across the entire pool of referees.  And their job is to make binary calls (fouls, penalties) make calls that too often favor the home team, and ignore infractions the home team commits.

Edited for accuracy. :ninja:

13 hours ago, Stu said:

B) You called the DCI judges a bunch of cattle; claiming that most of them are calves mooing on command from some bull leader to dump on certain corps, and all of them milling around with just the mentality of a herd.

Yep, you sure are right on this one I tell ya, and I stand corrected.  The correct interpretation of what you actually typed about herds and calves is A.  Okey-Dokey.

I'm so triggered

Last years’ hiding of the recap from the judges, a measure approved by all but one corps (if I recall correctly), tells me there is at least the perception that judges are following some sort of herd mentality, scoring corps in spite of their performance. The fact we have recaps back again, doesn’t dispel the notion that that wasn’t the case. I see it more a product of fan reaction and not being able to fully hide the recaps

Judges don’t want to be the outlier as it could reflect poorly on their performance so yes, they do watch the scores. Judges have also been released from DCI for being the outlier score too often which could mean they are a bad judge or broke from the herd

I feel the herd mentality is defined by DCI to push the overall direction of the shows, it pushes trends, kills variety and is more artistically limiting than any rules against amps, woodwinds, synth or other toys ever could be

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cowtown said:

I'm so triggered

Last years’ hiding of the recap from the judges, a measure approved by all but one corps (if I recall correctly), tells me there is at least the perception that judges are following some sort of herd mentality, scoring corps in spite of their performance. The fact we have recaps back again, doesn’t dispel the notion that that wasn’t the case. I see it more a product of fan reaction and not being able to fully hide the recaps

Judges don’t want to be the outlier as it could reflect poorly on their performance so yes, they do watch the scores. Judges have also been released from DCI for being the outlier score too often which could mean they are a bad judge or broke from the herd

I feel the herd mentality is defined by DCI to push the overall direction of the shows, it pushes trends, kills variety and is more artistically limiting than any rules against amps, woodwinds, synth or other toys ever could be

Whenever this topic comes up, I am always reminded of this movie that perfectly sums up the state of DCI judging:

61AqhQgQ4dL.jpg

No new moves!

Strictly-Ballroom.jpeg

I want there to be more shows like BAC 2014. I'm a sucker for dark and provocative stuff, though I can see why other people fell differently

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, friendwhale said:

I want there to be more shows like BAC 2014. I'm a sucker for dark and provocative stuff, though I can see why other people fell differently

I totally agree with that, plus I feel like Boston did that really well in 2014, so it would be awesome to have them morph into that genre for their "identity." Wicked Games sounds like it could fit that mold, depending on how far they push that theme. I love Crown 15, but part of me wishes they hadn't done Inferno just so Boston could do that, since an Inferno show done by the corps who did Animal Farm would've been straight up sick. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion : Carolina Crown deserved to win last year and the Bluecoat's show was somewhat overrated. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaviesFan17 said:

Unpopular opinion : Carolina Crown deserved to win last year and the Bluecoat's show was somewhat overrated. 

I mean unpopular yes, but as I have said on this thread before this is not too unrealistic. On a different day crown may have won, scores were pretty close. 

• Like 1