Rochester, NY

Will this be the last year this great city will see a drum corps contest? I certainly hope not. It is so sad to see all of the DCA corps and the junior corps who have called Rochester home all gone today......RIP Crusaders, Statesmen, Greece Cadets, Patriots, Northmen, Fusion, Alpine Girls, Firebirds, etc.

I'm sure if they keep giving the town away for free, we'll see some shows there

I am from the Buffalo area and Rochester, due to drum corps and a band I played in in the 90's, was my 2nd home. After 1978, the 3 major corps in  the area had ceased to exist (Hamburg Kingsmen, Royal Coachmen and Imperial Regiment/Lakeview Shoreliners....yes there was the Dunkirk Patriots).  The idea of drum corps was gone and young kids later on had to travel east to Rochester, Saratoga Springs, Garfield, NJ, Revere, MA, or go up north to TO or head west to SCV or BD. By the late 80's it was all up to The Patriots (Rochester) and even they disbanded. From then on it was Empire and Cru, and we'll add Brigs too. Sadly, all 3 faded away. Traveling to Rochester every year for a contest was normal. Seeing the Mighty Liberators, Greece Cadets, Alpine Girls was always fun but today there is nothing for the young people. Thankfully the White Sabers are still continuing AND doing a fantastic job in Dansville! BUT Rochester was/is incredible! Yes Aquinas/Hollander Stadium is gone and you either have your contest at a soccer stadium or a baseball stadium, although UofR ain't to shabby.

Just feeling nostalgic for Rochester. "I'd rather live in Rochester...."

Really Keith    Rochester has lost the Corps, Kodak, Xerox, and others. My last trip home to Rochester was disappointing to say the least.

There's nothing left the economy is way down, and winters are still brutal.  I left to move the Brass Shop to the Midwest  and now NC.

You need to go and see for yourself

Paul

The Brass Shop

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I am from the Buffalo area and Rochester, due to drum corps and a band I played in in the 90's, was my 2nd home. After 1978, the 3 major corps in  the area had ceased to exist (Hamburg Kingsmen, Royal Coachmen and Imperial Regiment/Lakeview Shoreliners....yes there was the Dunkirk Patriots).  The idea of drum corps was gone and young kids later on had to travel east to Rochester, Saratoga Springs, Garfield, NJ, Revere, MA, or go up north to TO or head west to SCV or BD. By the late 80's it was all up to The Patriots (Rochester) and even they disbanded. From then on it was Empire and Cru, and we'll add Brigs too. Sadly, all 3 faded away. Traveling to Rochester every year for a contest was normal. Seeing the Mighty Liberators, Greece Cadets, Alpine Girls was always fun but today there is nothing for the young people. Thankfully the White Sabers are still continuing AND doing a fantastic job in Dansville! BUT Rochester was/is incredible! Yes Aquinas/Hollander Stadium is gone and you either have your contest at a soccer stadium or a baseball stadium, although UofR ain't to shabby.

Just feeling nostalgic for Rochester. "I'd rather live in Rochester...."

Now you Upstaters know how we Long Islanders have felt like. No shows for two dozen years until the Sunrisers have returned and will try this summer.

As Paul showed us in the comment above, it is very much a NY thing. DCI does have its best at Buffalo, plus DCI has done a show in Rochester for a half dozen years now...Rochester, MN.

One can't live in past realities today.

AFAIK, current DCA pres Allen Buell is still a Rochester resident, and, having been a member of past city government, imagine still has many ins and contacts.  I would expect bids to be submitted from ROC any time they come up

I am sure that Rochester will be in contention for future DCA Championships.  I am also glad that it moves around to allow other cities to host and gives us all a change of scenery.  I am looking forward to Williamsport, PA in 2018 and 2019.  I hope they do a great job for the fans and the corps alike. 

• Like 1

I live in FL now and all the shows are in Orlando or west coast. Hate driving in FL LOL

Having championships in Rochester was one of the dumbest moves DCA ever made, unless the activity would have collapsed had they not done it.

When most of the corps are within 3 hours distance of each other, it makes almost no sense whatsoever to drive out 7 hours to the Canadian border for championships.