A new way to experience Drum Corps

1 minute ago, tesmusic said:

I'd say that about Blue Knights, but I think BD conveys their themes exceptionally well.

As for not watching until championships, I couldn't do it.id never be able to give up following through the season.

Im not sure Im gonna do it anymore either, BD does generally convey their themes well.  2013 I understand now, but after championships I was pretty confused.

2 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Im not sure Im gonna do it anymore either, BD does generally convey their themes well.  2013 I understand now, but after championships I was pretty confused.

I'd suggest reading up on The Rite of Spring if you enjoyed it. Quite interesting.

7 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

The journey is the best part for me......

So good luck with that.  

One of the things I enjoy so much about the summer is watching the shows change and evolve.  They start out pretty rough (really, every corps in early June looks like, "This is who?  From where?  Playing what?").  And then they start touring, and rehearsing, and cleaning, and rewriting this drill and that part of the book, tearing bits out and adding new bits in.  Don't get me wrong, I love watching the finished product in August, but as I watch the final polished gems during finals week, I recall the process that each corps took to get there, and I appreciate it that much more.  

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

And since you are going personal on this.... may we also ask you which of the 3 did you enjoyed the most ?  ( .. haha)

As all statements were "Alternative Facts", I'll go with the Mahler's 9th. 

The point being, every taste of drum corps (as any performing art) is entertaining in its own right, even if it's the 70th time seeing/hearing/reading, and to skip the many opportunities to be entertained on the chance that the final performances will somehow be enhanced by making it "the first" just seems wrong to me. 

But to each his own.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eleran said:

As all statements were "Alternative Facts", I'll go with the Mahler's 9th. 

The point being, every taste of drum corps (as any performing art) is entertaining in its own right, even if it's the 70th time seeing/hearing/reading, and to skip the many opportunities to be entertained on the chance that the final performances will somehow be enhanced by making it "the first" just seems wrong to me. 

But to each his own.

Which is the exact reason I decided not to go through with it:whistle:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I've often thought it would be interesting to make scores accumulative throughout the year. Have 20 shows designated as "DCI Championships" shows, take all 20 scores and average them (throwing out the best and worst scores) and using those to determine the champion. 

Interesting idea. It's something that an independent person/group/org could do. Just to make public the info and see what it might reveal. 

Back in the 90s when I was busy with life and pre-internet, there were several years when I would just pop in for finals week and that was all my drum corps for the year. Usually I was left with wanting more but it did make you enjoy the shows as a fan. Even today, there are several corps each year that my first take is at finals and unless they have the hype, I go into them cold. I hadn’t seen Madison or Boston (other than the youtube viral video) until Finals week amongst other.

I like my first reads of the year to be live, feel I get the GE more and a better take on the show. I don’t watch many DC youtube as they frustrate me but after seeing a show, if it catches my attention, I’ll listen to it through the season.  I’ll also check out shows I saw live and hated, to see what I may be missing. The upside of that is having a familiarity with the music to really enjoy a show live. I hated Blue Devils visual in 2012 but feel that’s one of the best musical books ever (same with Bluecoats 2013) so I was able to enjoy the shows musically where not being familiar with the shows prior, I would have shut them out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I've often thought it would be interesting to make scores accumulative throughout the year. Have 20 shows designated as "DCI Championships" shows, take all 20 scores and average them (throwing out the best and worst scores) and using those to determine the champion. 

In the past, such a creative proposal could make some sense to seriously consider, imo. But now however, this would seem impractical to do. Partial judging panels in ALL the early season shows that DCI utilizes now makes this proposal not practical.  Until DCI utilizes full panels in judging competiitions for ALL its competitions, ALL of its early season scores are now suspect and rather dubious in value in my opinion. The notion that we can properly judge Drum & Bugle Corps competitions without a Drum judge.... or without a Brass judge.... or without a Guard judge ( or any combination lack, thereof ) is really pretty absurd and ridiculous if we think about it for a moment. So combining the scores of halfazz sized, early season panels, with later, full panel scores for any cumulative values, seems like a non starter idea to me now, regrettably.

Edited by BRASSO

Commitments and vacation plans often kept me from seeing more than one show a year for quite a few years, and what I found was that I was less engaged in drum corps and often more critical. When Big, Loud, and Live began it was one or two shows plus cinecast, a bit more engaged, less critical. Then I began seeing videos along with live shows, more engagement, less criticism. Since 2012, my schedule has allowed me to go to Allentown with the exception of one year where I went to Atlanta. I've also been to Indy three times since 2012 with every intention of going to both Allentown and Indy this summer.

My point: more shows, more video, more engagement and appreciation. Wait for finals only, miss many of the best parts.