Southern University Marching Band

13 minutes ago, lowend said:

Wasn't there a summer marching band league that folded?

MACBDA is still around, although it's honestly been dead for over 25 years. I was with a band about 7-8 years ago. Our "tour" consisted of doing 10-12 shows over a 3 week period, in which the same 6 groups went from place to place.

It was awful.

Here's the schedule from 2016 for example: http://www.macbda.com/#!schedule

Edited by tesmusic

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

MACBDA is still around, although it's honestly been dead for over 25 years. I was with a band about 7-8 years ago. Our "tour" consisted of doing 10-12 shows over a 3 week period, in which the same 6 groups went from place to place.

It was awful.

Here's the schedule from 2016 for example: http://www.macbda.com/#!schedule

The future of DCI !!!

Or not

21 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I think ALL drum corps and college bands are created equal.  Personally, I think the Ohio State band  is the best.  They have the most amazing drill complexity in all of OSU.  I think if OSU went up against felliniesque, OSU would win.  Seriously, who needs color guards?  I also think that, because the audience always knows Ohio State's music, they get higher ge scores.  That is all that matters anyway, fan favorite shows should always win.

Not wanting to sound harsh but IMO, you are dreaming.  DC and bands equal?  Hardly.  Enough distinctions have been pointed out. Particularly at the level of DC  DCPer's discuss on these boards.  And you think the Ohio State Marching band is the best?  Better than any DC in the top 12?  Or better than Crown, BD, Bluecoats? SCV?   Take them down to an equal size of a DC in the top 12 and have them go at it competitively.  Right now because you are comparing them as they are right now.  No camps, rehearsal, tour, etc.  Right now against the TOC group and see where they stack up in ALL captions; music/brass, percussion, guard, GE, individual performance.  Let me ask a 2 part question:  Would a veteran DC MM go to a band for a season, return to the DC better?  Or would a band member, go to a DC for a season, return to their band better?  I truly hope you were being facetious and not believing what you wrote.

• Like 1

It's like saying, "I want to compare the love I have for 1) my spouse/significant other, with the love 2) I have for my children, and the love 3) I have for my parents and siblings."  While you love them all, the type of love, and the way you express it are much different.  

The same goes for (In no particular order, as to be inferred as parallel or analogous with the list above):

• Drum Corps
  • "Corps-Style" College Bands
  • "Show-Style" College Bands

That being said, I enjoy watching all of these groups, and enjoyed the fact this last year that ESPN and other networks carried feeds of halftime on alternate channels, or via your mobile device, during college football season. 

They are different, and their differences, complexities, and intricacies, are what make them all great.  Enjoy what's there at each venue, and stop trying to compare like saying the New England Patriots can compete with the Cleveland Cavaliers or Chicago Cubs.

Edited by ibexpercussion