Looks like DCA class A corps might be growing

Have a great showing for your evaluation i\m sure you\ll past in flying colours .

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Gary Matczak said:

Growth is good,...........so it lloks like we have:

1. Tradition

2. Thunderbirds

3. Chops

4. Excelsior

5. Centurians

6. Highland Regiment

7. Southern Knights

8. Solaris

9. Legacy

10. CMCC Warriors

Southern Knights passed evaluation,................any word on Centurians, Highland Regiment, Solaris, Legacy or CMCC Warriors for this season?

• Like 1

DCA South should have a nice a good line up for there show right now looking to be 5-6 corps 

Southern Knights 

Solaria\s 

Tradition

Carolina Gold 

Atlanta CV 

Alliance 

The South shall rise again 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 5:46 PM, BigW said:

It's cool Anthony. Things happen. Always does. :satisfied:

As per earlier, is JJ still on board, man? He's one of the conductors that, if I were out there for numbers or an Alumni gig, I WANT in front of me, he inspires and draws the best out of people. I'd be leaning forward ready to play for him, any time.

Whether he'd want to hear what came out my bell is another story, but I'd do my best. :laugh:

HOLY SMOKES!  What a great compliment!  I am humbled by your kind words!  It has been a LONG WHILE since I've logged onto DCP.  Yes!  I am involved with Solaris Drum Corps.  NO :-(  we are not getting a DCA evaluation this year due to timing constraints.  But YES!  We will be competing in SoundSport this year with performances at DCI Orlando, DCI ATL, and DCI Finals!

And if anyone is still wondering, Solaris is the direct decedent of Sun Devils.  As Anthony stated earlier, the admin/staff split off from the SD Board of Directors to create Solaris Performing Arts.  SPA is an umbrella group that currently houses Solaris Drum Corps and Solaris Percussion (FFCC/WGI).  If someone wants the whole story, I can tell you offline.  I am an open book.

Although we (Solaris Drum Corps) are disappointed that we are not getting evaluated this year, we are very excited to still be able to do this activity in front of the people that matter the most, the fans.

Edited by John M. Johnson
  • Like 5

Hi - I am the Corps Manager for Cadence Drum & Bugle Corps from the UK.

We are in early discussions with DCA about attending the 2018 Championships in Williamsport, PA.

Our initial plan is to compete in the A Class competition so its great to see that this class is growing year on year within DCA.

Like many of the current A Class units we are the result of a rebuilding process, here is a brief history of the Corps:

Cadence were formed in 1991 from a merger of the Caversham Boys Brigade Band and a local Drum Corps called Starisers. They achieved moderate success and were crowned DCUK A class champions in 1996. In 1997 a further merger with the Raiders from Surrey took place (my original Corps) and Cadence then entered the Open Class competition in 1997 achieving 5th place in finals. 

Our style has always been based around classical and symphonic music and in 1999 Cadence were DCUK Open Class Champions playing Festive Overture and Symphony No5 by Shostakovich with assistance from Jeff Wrobleski from the USA. The Corps continued to compete at the top level of DCUK over the next six years playing mostly classical music coming 2nd another five times. Sadly by 2005 the constant pursuit of another Championship led to a drop in members numbers and "burn out" amongst several staff. The Corps became inactive that Spring.

We were very lucky to have a healthy B Corps which immediately became the main corps and we started from scratch entering the cadet class competition in 2009. Over the past 7 years we have slowly climbed the rankings and have been placed 3rd at the past two DCUK Finals and 9th at the past two Drum Corps Europe Competition Finals in Holland. Many of our members have been with Cadence since they were 10 years old which has given us a great nucleus of vets in the Corps.

As weekend only Corps we are very much aligned with the all age Corps in the USA and taking a tour to the states was the next logical step which we have now announced and the planning has started to make this dream happen for our kids and adults who march with us. Although we are not a t the standard of our good friends Kidsgrove Scouts who are coming over for the 4th time this Summer, we still hope we can bring our little Corps to the USA and give you guys another taste of the UK Drum Corps activity.

We will post updates on our plans and progress via our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Cadencedrumcorps/ 

Hopefully the A Class will be just as healthy come 2018.

Regards

Paul

• Like 7

Great to hear you guys might be coming across the pond,Best of luck this season .and good luck with your plan\s for 2018.

I see the Centurians  have decided to go DCI Soundsport  over DCA for 2017 wish them luck ..Any word on Highland Regiment yet ?or Legacy from Pittsburg ?

Edited by Florida Sun
added more info.

19 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

I see the Centurians  have decided to go DCI Soundsport  over DCA for 2017 wish them luck ..Any word on Highland Regiment yet ?or Legacy from Pittsburg ?

Highland Regiment is still waiting for a final decision, last I heard.  DCA went over our books and sat in on a rehearsal and liked what they saw, but their one concern is that we might not reach the minimum membership threshold to qualify for Class A by the time the season begins.  The decision is supposed to be made by April 1 so hopefully we find out soon.

edit: nope, no luck.  Didn't pass the evaluation this year.

Edited by jimpjorps
  • Like 1