Can DCI remain above the fray?

Last year the Cavaliers pushed the envelope by touching on politics, which in the past has been considered (correctly, I think) inappropriate for an activity like DCI, which draws support from people all around the country and from every ideological orientation.  Some people argued that the Cavaliers went too far by implying criticism of building walls, but I think it was clear that they were making an all-purpose attack on propaganda and rhetorical manipulation. Regardless, an interesting question this year will be whether anyone else will follow their lead, and what the fallout will be if they do. It's harder nowadays to be apolitical. Some art and entertainment genres have gained a clear ideological identity and thrived anyway: country music speaks mostly to conservatives, Broadway mostly promotes values that liberals applaud. Even sports have drifted apart, with professional football increasingly seen as a right-wing sport, and professional basketball leaning left.  Can DCI remain as nonpartisan and universalistic as it has always been?  If someone does a show like the Mandarin’s 2013 “Destination America” (which celebrated immigration and multiculturalism), would they face a backlash in today’s environment?  If a corps did a show like the Madison Scouts’ pro-military “Corps of Brothers” (also from 2013), would audiences view it as a political statement? Should that even be a concern? Maybe some will argue that corps should stand up for some basic values at a time when they are being questioned. I don’t intend this question to be itself partisan: instead, I’m interested in what people think about whether DCI should reflect the debates of our time or strive to be a space where everyone can escape those issues. Should we focus on themes like “Tilt” (probably safe!) or should we risk controversy by grappling with topics that we deem relevant and important?  

I worked with a HS unit that performed a program entitled "Only through freedom can you be who you truly are" back around 1998. Top 10 Atlantic Coast finalist, second in Music Effect. Parents loved the show kept coming up to the staff and telling us how thoughtful it was and how they found new things to think about in every performance. Former students and even people who follow the activity around here will still talk about how much they enjoyed the show. Heck... one of those students is now my landlord.

It was deliberately designed so that people could find things for themselves and discover ideas and beliefs we hadn't thought of when we created this program.

Well.... everyone loved this program except for the *insert any derogatory and foul expletive you care to insert here, the nastier the better...* Superintendent, who from my guess got complaints from his golf buddies that this show gave them headaches and made them think, for Sweet Baby Jesus' sake. I'll just say that he's known for being a rather fatuous and sanctimonious prig locally- but when you have the person in charge not happy, it truthfully doesn't matter who liked it or not when it's an individual like this cat.

Personally, Whether I like the message or not, if a team wants to make a political/social/controversial statement and express any viewpoint they wish to whether I agree or not- that's their right and prerogative to make such a statement. Heck, SCV's Miss Saigon made people very, very uncomfortable at the end of the show in period by simply showing the basic truth that the North won. People squirmed. It well may have affected their overall placement in the end. I don't pretend to know if it did, but it certainly could have.

The judges will do what they see fit to do. The audience will respond as they see fit to do as well. It's their right to do so as well. Could it be a learning and growth experience for all involved? Sure!

As a performer/person contracting to be a member/whatever you want to call it, the question then becomes, do I or my parents/backers want to spend 5+ grand on a season and killing myself all summer to make a statement and possibly risking a bad placement/not making finals, or do I want to go somewhere else to a "safer show" and perhaps do well/get my ring? That's a very personal and difficult decision. I can't fault anyone who would come down on either side of that coin.

A great question, one that made me stay up well past my bedtime to try and think of an answer. :worthy:

In before the close.

I hope DCI fields remain free from the current hyperpartisan political climate.  This is a youth activity, and its leaders should understand that picking political sides can only hurt recruiting when people feel alienated.  I expect there would be backlash from fans, if not judges, toward any corps who commits political design indiscretions.  (Then again, there is no rule against it, and opinion on what constitutes "indiscretion" may shift over time.)

I do not think Cavaliers pushed the envelope any farther than Crossmen did with their protest show.  Those shows were generic enough from a political standpoint, IMO.  They did risk being perceived as having a subtle hint of partisanship, whether intended or not, and thus can put the viewer on edge for that reason.

Mandarins 2013 struck me as a historical presentation, not one of preachy advocacy.  For that reason, I would not expect it to prompt a backlash even in 2017.  (And to qualify that, "backlash" would mean more than two people objecting.)  And I have no idea why Madison 2013 is even mentioned in this context, as I saw nothing political about it.

Bluecoats 2014, on the other hand, was the most political show ever.  Constantly leaning either left or right.

• Like 4

In 1984, Suncoast Sound presented a show that recalled the Vietnam War era. While I can't recall an uproar at the shows I saw that year, Steve Rondinaro and Michael Cessario mention in the Legacy DVD that it was not always well received. Crossmen in 2013 had a show I found a bit more political than Cavies in 2016, not in an offensive way, but Crossmen highlighted the causes (in an underrated show, I might add), whereas Cavies highlighted the combating voices rather than the message. 

When it comes to politics, religion, etc., I think much depends on the corps that produces the show. Pioneer produces a religious themed show, people find it pleasant. Star of Indiana has a cross at the end of its 1991 show, it is a classic maneuver and a tribute to George Zingali's artistry, Madison does it and it is great. Cadets in 2012 had a maneuver that resembled a fish in its Christmas show, and some DCP pundits claimed its famous director was shoving Christianity down our throats, not an accusation usually associated with him. I think the same would hold true for politics. Cadets or Blue Devils do a tribute show to Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton, it's political. Troopers or Madison do the exact same show, it's patriotic. It's often all perception. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tim K said:

In 1984, Suncoast Sound presented a show that recalled the Vietnam War era. While I can't recall an uproar at the shows I saw that year, Steve Rondinaro and Michael Cessario mention in the Legacy DVD that it was not always well received. Crossmen in 2013 had a show I found a bit more political than Cavies in 2016, not in an offensive way, but Crossmen highlighted the causes (in an underrated show, I might add), whereas Cavies highlighted the combating voices rather than the message. 

When it comes to politics, religion, etc., I think much depends on the corps that produces the show. Pioneer produces a religious themed show, people find it pleasant. Star of Indiana has a cross at the end of its 1991 show, it is a classic maneuver and a tribute to George Zingali's artistry, Madison does it and it is great. Cadets in 2012 had a maneuver that resembled a fish in its Christmas show, and some DCP pundits claimed its famous director was shoving Christianity down our throats, not an accusation usually associated with him. I think the same would hold true for politics. Cadets or Blue Devils do a tribute show to Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton, it's political. Troopers or Madison do the exact same show, it's patriotic. It's often all perception. 

Lets not forget BAC in 2014.  That was relating more to politics in DCI rather than the rest of the world, which in a way hits closer to home.

• Like 1

I think the lovely thing about Cavies 2016 was that it was very neutral on the topic as their director stated "we're propaganda neutral." I think that is where the exploration needs to be not casting judgement on a topic but instead exploring it, I felt the same way of BAC 2014. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

I think the lovely thing about Cavies 2016 was that it was very neutral on the topic as their director stated "we're propaganda neutral." I think that is where the exploration needs to be not casting judgement on a topic but instead exploring it, I felt the same way of BAC 2014. 

I agree, whether or not politics belong in DCI remains to be seen, but as long as corps are neutral Im fine with it.

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Have to agree with you here in many ways and instances, particularly Cadets. For any show in the past ten years in which Hopkins turned to his old roommate Marc Sylvester, there definitely was a political agenda sometimes flagrant sometimes more subtle. From Sarah Jones and the NPR radio set (not the current BK conductress by the same name) to the President's show with the Oprah banners, politics can be layered by the designer or imagined by the viewer. Sometimes it is most obvious; sometimes it is not as in Tame the Perilous Skies show when the color guard wore the crossed red ribbons over their hearts on the blue jumpsuits because the guard instructor didn't think the government was doing enough for Aids patients some whom he and they were aware.

Drum corps membership involves college kids and teenagers, both age cohorts known for their idealism. Arts folks including music tend to be both idealists and overt in their political persuasions, not always mainstream. Politics and human personalities are complicated and multi-layered.

I remember when going through my doctoral classes and dissecting the opinions of what the separation of Church and State means in our conversations.  I  used a video presentation of the The Cavaliers doing Advent Anthems and De Natale for which there were complaints that they were sponsored by the Village of Rosemont (Mr. Stephens as Mayor) and then following with The University of Maryland Terrapin Band leading the Pope through Baltimore into Camden Yards and being treated (before the Mass  there began) as a Head of State (Vatican City as a recognized Sovereign government with which the US has ambassadorial relations.) Confusion? yes with complications to the diplomatic nuances.  Yet when Cadets, sometimes known as Holy Name, did the 12.25 show there were complaints again about religious dimensions, poliitical dimensions, and whether drum corps should be a secularist or sanitized environment.

Because DCI involves humans, and humans think/feel/live not as robots but as multi-layered beings  in a complex world, there will continue to be overlaps of entertainment, politics, belief systems, and interpretations whether real, imagined or imposed.

Edited by xandandl

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Because DCI involves humans, and humans think/feel/live not as robots but as multi-layered beings  in a complex world, there will continue to be overlaps of entertainment, politics, belief systems, and interpretations whether real, imagined or imposed.

This. So be tolerant and give people some space to explore, think, and express. Even if you don't agree with everything.

I thought I replied to this, but I think that was in one of the duplicate threads. Basically, I think any topic can be tasteful if done tastefully. The opposite is also true. Whether the show topic is politics, religion, or stuffed teddy bears, it's going to come down to show design, and there can be a right and wrong way to do anything. This applies to basically all art forms.