Dci Live

On 3/11/2017 at 11:08 AM, DrumManTx said:

http://www.flomarching.com/events

Question answered.  DCI events are listed at the bottom.  I REALLY hope they have improved since BOA this fall or I am going to be incredibly dissapointed in this.  I will give it a chance but I'm very cautious right now...

Looks like you are right.  They have every major show and Championships listed, so I'd say let's hope it's good!  My biggest question is to anyone - why doesn't DCI pony up and do this themselves.  With the amount of people in the business, it would not be hard to take the bull by the horns and do this with the people who know how to produce the shows.  Hire a Tom Blair type of person, salary him or her, buy the equipment and go after people who could do it.  They could keep it in house and make money on it.  I'm sure someone out here understands what the cost analysis would be for DCI to make money on it - and they would have all the complete rights to the broadcast.  They could eventually roll it out and pick up BOA and WGI, keeping people employed all year as a performing arts company specializing in live performances.  Just seems like the smarter thing to do than to guess which company might get it right and wade through the learning curves every couple of years with nobody really getting it before switching to a another company and starting over again.

Production and streaming are two separate functions. And isn't Flo basically just the streaming vehicle?

I mean, you can have the production staff, with the cameras and mics and such, but you also need the internet at the event site, a way to get it to a central location, so that it can then be distributed to the subscribers. I would rather DCI outsource the end of that data flow (which they are doing) rather than try to tackle both production and streaming/distribution. And if I'm Flo, I would defer production expertise (at least for the live events) to those that have been doing it for a few years, so that they can concentrate on nailing the streaming side of things.

My hope is that this is what is going on.

• Like 2

I am so bummed.  No experience with FloMarching but it sounds awful.  Why, why, why DCI?  Why do you treat your fans like this? 

I will hold off on buying anything until I read feedback here about the quality.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I am so bummed.  No experience with FloMarching but it sounds awful.  Why, why, why DCI?  Why do you treat your fans like this? 

I will hold off on buying anything until I read feedback here about the quality.

Or do like I'll be doing and use the free broadcast of the Blue Stars and the Cavaliers to check out their service. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

exactly what i'm doing

the good news is, the first thing they're covering isn't even an event. i don't feel like i'll be missing anything, and i'll be able to get feedback from people on here. 

• Like 1

Like everyone else, I'm apprehensive about this change, but DID sign-on for a full-year subscription. I retain faith in DCI's decision here and getting live drum corps into my home is very important to me.  I have 2 concerns now:

1. Depending how one reads the Flo description, a full-year subscription might NOT include everything on Flo (sports, etc.). There is reference to everything within the website section (just marching?) used to sign on. In other words, 3 separate months would be enough for me.

2. Where will the onsite technicians come from at each location? If Flo simply arrives a few days in advance and lines-up a high school stage crew, or similar, I'm certain we will not be pleased with the quality of those productions.

Edited by Fred Windish
status update

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

1. Depending how one reads the Flo description, a full-year subscription might NOT include everything on Flo (sports, etc.). There is reference to everything within the website section (just marching?) used to sign on. In other words, 3 separate months would be enough for me.

There's one easy way to test this out. If you've already signed up for a year at Flo marching, then try watching some random live event on another Flo channel. 

The lack of Android or fire TV apps is what is holding me back at the moment.

57 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

There's one easy way to test this out. If you've already signed up for a year at Flo marching, then try watching some random live event on another Flo channel. 

The lack of Android or fire TV apps is what is holding me back at the moment.

Thanks, my friend. Can't find anything being broadcast LIVE at this moment (10:30am Eastern) but should be able to watch something later today. Flo DOES acknowledge my single log-in at several unique sites beyond just marching.  Either way, the sheer volume of content across their many channels (as replays) makes the full year subscription look WELL worth the admission!