Dci Live

4 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Either way, the sheer volume of content across their many channels (as replays) makes the full year subscription look WELL worth the admission!

I agree. My wife would love the voice channel, and I would probably make use of the wrestling channel next season. I'll probably succumb and buy a whole year (assuming it's good across the whole Flo universe) once the DCI season start approaches.

Without sounding redundant, if you have a Roku or Apple TV, and use the Flosports app, have really good internet service, a good router, you shouldn't have too much trouble with flomarching.   We watched WGI percussion championships and had zero issues.  http://www.flomarching.com/article/47162-flosports-launches-appletv-and-roku-apps#.WTRkCrFOmf0

On 6/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, Precious Roy said:

Production and streaming are two separate functions. And isn't Flo basically just the streaming vehicle?

I mean, you can have the production staff, with the cameras and mics and such, but you also need the internet at the event site, a way to get it to a central location, so that it can then be distributed to the subscribers. I would rather DCI outsource the end of that data flow (which they are doing) rather than try to tackle both production and streaming/distribution. And if I'm Flo, I would defer production expertise (at least for the live events) to those that have been doing it for a few years, so that they can concentrate on nailing the streaming side of things.

My hope is that this is what is going on.

But the problem, from what I gather - and I've been streaming for two years now with DCI live, is that it's been pretty incompetent on the Flo side of things and a lot of the incompetence has been in mic placement, understanding what visuals need to be shown, what channels need to be turned up so that what is happening in the brass isn't buried by front ensemble.  That sounds like it's not just streaming.  It also sounds like DCI places it's interns and lowest on the totem pole employees as the people who run things for DCI live, if that's the case or if they are going to leave it in flos hands, then I'm really disappointed in DCI, because that just pushes fans away, it certainly does not attract them.  I certainly thought we'd grow on this end of things and want it to be of the highest quality, not push it off to the flunkies.

15 hours ago, Vdad76 said:

But the problem, from what I gather - and I've been streaming for two years now with DCI live, is that it's been pretty incompetent on the Flo side of things...

But Flo wasn't involved with DCI the last two years. That partnership is just now starting this year.

The gripes with the flomarching service (with respect to boa and wgi coverage) seems to be twofold: bad camera work and mic placement, etc (production), and sometimes spotty streaming. My question is, was it Flo's production crews or someone else (local help) that was responsible for the less than stellar production results? Because DCI has access to some top notch marching arts production crews, and can lend their expertise to Flo in this regard.

Again, I don't know anything specific about who is handling what during the upcoming DCI live events season. My hope is that DCI is supplying the production knowledge, so that Flo can concentrate on getting the product to the internet masses.

On 6/3/2017 at 9:15 PM, shofmon88 said:

Or do like I'll be doing and use the free broadcast of the Blue Stars and the Cavaliers to check out their service. 

Good idea.  But if it sucks, what then?  So disappointed.

On 6/5/2017 at 0:39 PM, shofmon88 said:

Then we wait for the DVDs I suppose...

Where is the info about these free broadcasts? 

As the old saying goes . . . . . We only get ONE chance to make a good FIRST impression.  It is imperative for the new DCI/Flo effort to get out the gate as strong as possible. You can't sell many apples if the box at the front is rotten!

I already committed to the full season, but it does seem the reputation of Flo's work leaves many potential new customers apprehensive. I trust DCI is making every effort to ensure Flo brings its best effort early on. If Flo does not, this broadcasting change will be a difficult sell. We are a demanding and critical audience. . . . . and proud of it !

• Like 4