Favorite Show from Genesis - Our New WC Member

Favorite Genesis Show  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Genesis show?

• 2010 - One Night in the Valley
    • 2011 - Big Top After Dark
    • 2012 - Epic
    • 2013 - mOZaic
    • 2014 - Art of Darkness
    • 2015 - Phantom Revisited
    • 2016 - Hell Hath no Fury

Just a note about 2015 --- the moment in the opener where the unit spelled "SING" in the drill, and hit it for just a split second, was uncannily brilliant, and I still maintain that was my favorite non-Finalist moment of the entire 2015 season. It was such bizarre and unexpected timing; the drill move didn't come at an impact point, and they didn't hold it upon formation for more than a few counts or so. Half of the reason it sent chills down my spine was because of the unexpected zing of it --- it came at a moment that one would otherwise forget as transitionary drill after an impact. And of course, the gorgeous timing of it all: they spelled it out right as the Phantom would have spoken that word over Christine's singing. Ah, such an out-of-the-mold, spectacular moment that injected a spine-tingling note of subtlety into our activity that we often don't see outside of the top groups.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Just a note about 2015 --- the moment in the opener where the unit spelled "SING" in the drill, and hit it for just a split second, was uncannily brilliant, and I still maintain that was my favorite non-Finalist moment of the entire 2015 season. It was such bizarre and unexpected timing; the drill move didn't come at an impact point, and they didn't hold it upon formation for more than a few counts or so. Half of the reason it sent chills down my spine was because of the unexpected zing of it --- it came at a moment that one would otherwise forget as transitionary drill after an impact. And of course, the gorgeous timing of it all: they spelled it out right as the Phantom would have spoken that word over Christine's singing. Ah, such an out-of-the-mold, spectacular moment that injected a spine-tingling note of subtlety into our activity that we often don't see outside of the top groups.

Who writes their drill?   For 2015 and 2016 they deserve a big gold star.  

On 2/6/2017 at 8:31 PM, Jake W. said:

I was a little sad about their drill changes in 2016.  If you look at an early season video of their show, they went on a spelling fit.  They spent the last minute or so of the show at about 210 bpm, and spelled out four words in rapid succession...HELL HATH NO FURY then company front to the sideline.  By the end of the season it was just HELL following by 3 other sets (Hearts then XXXX then eyes then company front).  A lot of legs moving at the end of that show....

Edited by WaxDCIFan

1 hour ago, Jake W. said:

They also got hammered by one of the judges show after show in 2015 because she didn't understand what their 2 first sets had to do with Phantom of the Opera.  First set was "LOT" followed almost immediately by "666".  They paid for that all season long. 

(Edited to add the 6 I left out)

Edited by WaxDCIFan

Likewise I've never seen Phantom on stage or screen, and I had to look up "Lot 666" after first seeing Genesis' show, but I realized right away that it must have been an allusion; what a silly mistake for a judge to make.

(I am reminded, the other way around, of a marching band judge I overhead in 2015 commenting on one band's show of Michael Jackson music. They closed with "Thriller", ending with a sample of Vincent Price's famous laugh from the original recording. The judge complimented them on their inclusion of that sound effect in a way that made it clear he had no idea that it was a straight lift from the source.)

• Like 1

My favorite Genesis show was "Selling England by the Pound". It was the last time I saw Peter Gabriel live with Genesis.

• Like 3

I voted for "Hell Hath No Fury" because I really enjoyed the show and thought it was well done, but think 2013 may have been their most significant show. In 2013 I think Genesis demonstrated it meant business and for me, at least seemed to be a huge jump from 2012.

• Like 2