Top 10 opening hits?

The first minute of this (Spirit of Atlanta, 1980).  Such a great hornline (pretty much, from what I understand, the 'kids' that had started when the corps started were all aging out that year), and such emotion.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I've read a TON about 1996 Blue Devils.  

I announced a show in NJ in '96.... my seat was field level, just off the 50, about 5-10 feet back from  the front sideline.

BD's opening hit that night, from that vantage point... holy mackerel.

I think I heard a phone ringing in my ears for about two weeks after that.  LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

Volume up please.    

Another one of my favorites!!!  Thanks for posting this.

Cadets 2007, right after the narration "We believe in... NOW." Still scares the life out of me today. Can't imagine how loud it would have sounded live.

Honorable mention that hasn't been mentioned yet: Academy 2016.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Cadets 2007, right after the narration "We believe in... NOW." Still scares the life out of me today. Can't imagine how loud it would have sounded live.

Honestly, not that loud. They actually pulled a lot of the volume back as that season progressed, and added random dynamics in places just for no reason. The big hit in "Blue Shades" at the beginning of the season was fortissimo the entire time, exactly as you would expect maybe ten years before that. An ideal drum corps sound you dream about and makes your heart race leading up to it. I remember being blown back into the stands at a small high school stadium in Georgia at the end of June. By finals, that section had been been neutered with random dynamic contrast to the point of sterility.

4 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Honestly, not that loud. They actually pulled a lot of the volume back as that season progressed

the last 3 notes the baritones play in the opener were also epic loudness at the beginning of the season, and they pulled way back. 

i thought it was on the verge of overblowing, but i felt like they cut back way too much. it was such a powerful moment. 

but there was nothing sterile about the show musically for me. great brass book with some very nice musicianship. you tend to like the garbage cans banging together brass sound from what i can tell, though, so i can see where you're coming from. so cadets 98....:whistle:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MaestroBen said:

The first minute of this (Spirit of Atlanta, 1980).  Such a great hornline (pretty much, from what I understand, the 'kids' that had started when the corps started were all aging out that year), and such emotion.

Add to that the pure emotion that was added to the volume and emotion after Jim Ott's tragic death. A few years back someone who marched with Spirit in 1980 shared in a post here on DCP that every show after his death was in his memory, at least in their hearts. I heard saw Spirit live for the first time that year, prior to that (78 and 79) it was only through the PBS broadcast on our "stereophonic" TV which may have been state of the art for the time but not made with drum corps in mind, and while I liked them I wasn't all that convinced their hornline was louder and bolder than their competitors. Experiencing them live blew me away. They were that loud and they were that good!

• Like 1