Top 10 opening hits?

The Academy has had some great huge opening statements in recent memory.   

2016 is probably their best one, first time I heard it my speakers were turned up WAY too loud and it actually made me jump in my chair.  

2011s Bach opening really built into an absolutely fantastic musical explosion.  Percussion writing on top of it made it really nice.  LOVE that whole show.  Tons of in your face drum corps.  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 9:37 AM, brassdude6171 said:

Boston 12. My favorite show from Boston and my favorite show of 2012 and it has quite a long buildup, but once you get there, dang do they blow. 

2011 was great from them too, jumped right in with Les Mis full volume.  Their 2011 and 2012 shows are really great.  

On 2/8/2017 at 4:55 PM, critter said:

Ummm......people were freaking on media in 2000? My chat room on AOL may have been going crazy while playing Snake on their Nokia phones, but I'm not sure about the social media bit.

social media was RAMD style newsgroups back then... social enough, but less "media" lol

2001 Santa Clara Vanguard.  Completely forgot about that one.  Musically it comes out of absolute nowhere, the first time I listened to that show was audio only and I was not anticipating their first hit to happen when it did and it rather startled me.  When you do watch it the drill is a complete opposite of what you hear so you know something really loud is coming.  Love that show all around too.  

1.  27th Lancers - Crown Imperial. 
2. Scouts - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue.  
3. Spirit of Atlanta - Georgia. 
4. Muchachos - Picturas De Espana. 
5. Vanguard - Fanfare and Allegro.  
6. Cadets - Rocky Point Holiday.  
7. Carolina Crown - The Gates of Hell. 
8. Star of Indiana - Parados, from Medea.
9. Cavaliers - Mars, from the Planets.  
10. Sacramento Freelancers (aka Capitol Freelancers) - Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.
11. Bridgemen - William Tell Overture!
12. Blue Devils - T.O.
13. Crossmen - Appalachian Morning.
14. Bluecoats - Johnny One Note.
15. Kilties - My Favorite Things.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 0:49 AM, Ghost said:

Volume up please.    

Good one; I like Star's 1987 version too.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2017 at 5:39 PM, garfield said:

I'm even less expert (LabExpert would agree) but I've got a good ear for pitch and tune, and I've always felt that the "friction" in the chord structures were intentional.  The major chord structures seem bright and clear to my ear, where the minor and close harmonies, driven by those wonderful mellos, are particularly edgy, reflecting the danger of learning to fly.

Maybe it was just me - I was flying in my mind age 6, and was a licensed pilot at 14.  This show, in particular, spoke to me and I've been a Holt-zinger fan for a long time.  The ballad portions were marvelous and truly reminded me of my imagination of flying like a bird, then the glory of being "up there" with them for real (I was first licensed as a glider pilot - silent! - only the wind rush which I heard in Cadets' show!), and finally the exhilaration of mastering the craft and pushing the envelope, only to arrive safely on the ground in celebration of mastering your fears.  It's probably just me but, honest to God, I hear all of that in To Tame the Perilous Skies.  I wish everyone did!

I've listened to this show dozens of times because it's so fulfilling to me since I experienced the story that Holsinger was trying to tell.

It's also when props were still relatively new, and I felt that the ceiling fan "props" were brilliant.  I remember gasping when the guard turned around and spun them.  GREAT guard uniforms!  And, maybe I'm a simple-minded drill-design person, but the visual of that "plane" moving across the field was a simplistic and completely effective home run.  Some fans poo-poo "picture" drill, but I disagree.  At time, moving the plane perfectly was a new and amazing effect.

Wow, that was fun to relive.

The mellophones were out of tune all year.  That was one hard working corps though. Almost grabbed a championship.

Edited by jjeffeory