Under Armour - Retribution Is A Dish Best Served Cold

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Necro-ing my own thread.

"Under Armour faces federal investigation over its accounting practices"

Turns out the Feds were asking questions at about the same time I made this thread, and was digging into things happening in the company at about the same time they thumbed their nose at band kids.

Causation, correlation, coincidence, Plank saving poor band kids from the evils of corporate shenanigans, or the chickens coming home to roost.  Doesn't matter.  The parallels to current-day drum corps are eery. 

"I'm sure they'll be fine..." has been said by so many, so many times.  

tick tock, tick tock...how long before the Feds catch up with Garfield too? Hmmm....

• Like 1

Wow. Don’t get on Garfield’s bad side. That’s my take away from this. Also UA stock is currently down 15% today. 

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

because of Garfield's review????

He did mention something about correlation not being causation. 

On 2/8/2017 at 12:30 AM, garfield said:

Several years ago Under Armour refused a request by DCI to co-brand some athletic wear, stating that drum corps is not an image that fits their market focus.

I can imagine the jockstraps in their Board room now:  "Stupid band kids.  Do we really want to dilute our image with a bunch of band kids?"

I've refused to buy their gear ever since, and have even rejected gifts of their stuff based on their attitude towards drum corps.  I'm more than a little surprised that so many drum corps MM's and fans wear the UA logo.  To me it's crap if it's too good for band kids.

Nothing has made me happier than to see their stock price get slammed due to lower earnings and the realization that the "Athleisure" market they helped create is not immune to the competition of the market.

To he11 with Under Armour, the stock, and the bus they rode in on, IMO.  This is the prettiest picture:

uaa_chart_012717.jpg

From a high of about $53 in October, 2015 to just over $20 today...  Maybe if they include some band kids in their marketing their sales would would look better, eh?

(disclaimer: this is not an endorsement, recommendation, or offer to buy or sell UA stock.  The opinion expressed here is mine alone and does not represent the opinion of DCP, DCI, UAA, or my company.  Past performance is not indicative of future results.  Wash behind your ears and wear clean underwear, so long as it's not UA.)

Wow, project much?

• Like 1

Stocks never go public in a bear market.  They always go public at a time best-suited to the insiders.

Plank sold his company to the public at $40/sh in April, 2016.  It fell 75% in the next 18 months.  Then it took two years to double (a magical feat all by itself) and NOW there are "issues" with the way they book profits.  I found it especially funny that they beat their earnings estimates (WHICH reveals the corrupt nature of earnings "expectations") while, at the same time, announced a DOJ/SEC inquiry into how they account for their income statement.  "We WON!  (Disclaimer disclaimer footnote footnote Psst, we were actually cooking the numbers but ignore that last disclaimer disclaimer footnote footnote.)

Edited by garfield

6 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Wow, project much?

In my business, "projecting" is a necessary evil one has to practice to get even moderately good at.

But thanks for the compliment!

I smelled something fishy about the company long before the IPO.  Their thumb-nosing at band kids was only justification.

EDIT:  If it weren't already taken, I'd name my company Vaticinate.  Instead, I just adopted the word as one of my favorites.

Edited by garfield

6 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I’m already boycotting Nike, so now I gotta boycott UA too (and I will!). What’s left for me to wear, Lululemon!?

Lululeman

(I presume you identify as male due your name.  Not that there's anything wrong with a woman named Greg.)