Under Armour - Retribution Is A Dish Best Served Cold

Several years ago Under Armour refused a request by DCI to co-brand some athletic wear, stating that drum corps is not an image that fits their market focus.

I can imagine the jockstraps in their Board room now:  "Stupid band kids.  Do we really want to dilute our image with a bunch of band kids?"

I've refused to buy their gear ever since, and have even rejected gifts of their stuff based on their attitude towards drum corps.  I'm more than a little surprised that so many drum corps MM's and fans wear the UA logo.  To me it's crap if it's too good for band kids.

Nothing has made me happier than to see their stock price get slammed due to lower earnings and the realization that the "Athleisure" market they helped create is not immune to the competition of the market.

To he11 with Under Armour, the stock, and the bus they rode in on, IMO.  This is the prettiest picture:

uaa_chart_012717.jpg

From a high of about $53 in October, 2015 to just over $20 today...  Maybe if they include some band kids in their marketing their sales would would look better, eh?

(disclaimer: this is not an endorsement, recommendation, or offer to buy or sell UA stock.  The opinion expressed here is mine alone and does not represent the opinion of DCP, DCI, UAA, or my company.  Past performance is not indicative of future results.  Wash behind your ears and wear clean underwear, so long as it's not UA.)

Edited by garfield
correct date
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Several years ago Under Armour refused a request by DCI to co-brand some athletic wear, stating that drum corps is not an image that fits their market focus.

I've refused to buy their gear ever since, and have even rejected gifts of their stuff based on their attitude towards drum corps.  I'm more than a little surprised that so many drum corps MM's and fans wear the UA logo.  To me it's crap if it's too good for band kids.

Maybe if they include some band kids in their marketing their sales would would look better, eh?

I seriously don't think that their stock has tanked because band kids are not wearing their gear...it's mainly because sales growth has been projected to slow over the next two years...i.e. 20% gains versus around 30%...coupled with the fact their two closest competitors Nike and Adidas trump them in sales in that particular market as well...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I seriously don't think that their stock has tanked because band kids are not wearing their gear...it's mainly because sales growth has been projected to slow over the next two years...i.e. 20% gains versus around 30%...coupled with the fact their two closest competitors Nike and Adidas trump them in sales in that particular market as well...

Yea, me, too.  And, by the way, where the heck did I say that?

Jeesh

• Haha 2

Just now, garfield said:

Jeesh

oh perhaps my exaggeration...not meant to criticize...seriously..just commenting is all...

Speaking of work-out type gear...I'd like to post a shameless plug for a really good friend of mine who owns Rhone Apparel...although these clothes have been specifically designed for the male athlete in mind...I think they would be absolutely ideal and well suited for drumcorps as well...

The thing that sets the apparel apart from others is the anti-odor tech the clothes use among other things...the silver threading is used to fight off odor, sweat stains, and keep clothes fresh. And unlike typical antibacterial and anti-odorant treatments (which last for 15-20 washes) their tech is permanent—built into the actual garment. He was telling me it was something that the United States military used and his company just expanded on that...

https://www.rhone.com

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

No, you didn't say "tanked", but slammed might be another strong sentiment with some.  

"Slammed" is completely correct usage. What I did not say is that it was caused by band kids not buying under armor. That was Liahona's comment. 

They did have a few stock splits in 2016.  Which also would lower their share value.  Which increases shares per holder, but also allows new investors to buy more stock at a lower price.  So yes, this was a good thing.  Certainly not even close to a "tanking".

Edited by C.Holland

30 minutes ago, Liahona said:

27 minutes ago, garfield said:

Jeesh

You might not have said it....BUT...I just happened to find an article written by Fortune magazine...they seemed to think the stock has TANKED.....lol

http://fortune.com/2016/10/25/under-armour-shares-tumble/

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1