Who will move up next?

1 minute ago, BassClefTristan said:

Actually, the bari line you hear in the beginning of the opener is a solo. The soloist just has not been decided yet. It will most likely be our section leader. :P

Are you talking about that opening 3 or 4-bar "call" being played by 4 or 5 bari's? 

Just now, RetiredMusTeach said:

Are you talking about that opening 3 or 4-bar "call" being played by 4 or 5 bari's? 

Yes, that.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 8:17 PM, BassClefTristan said:

As a MCDC '17 Lead Bari, I can attest to that. :P For real though, there is great improvement in this entire corps this year alone, as my 3-star (3 year vet, about to be 4) section leader is saying that the attitude, ambition, and raw talent in the corps is tremendously improved from last year. There's a lot of factors why that is, and probably the biggest part of it is staff changes. With a 5 year Bluecoat 2016 Age-Out as our visual caption head, we're gonna look a lot better than the corps did last year. Sorry for my bias-fueled comment, but I honestly felt I had to say something for my corps. :P

I have seen quite a bit of chatter from staff and members on FB and Twitter that makes me think that they are expecting to make a big leap forward this year.  The music selection is really interesting and I'm thinking that and the theme should provide ample "food" for a great color guard show.  Is there a sense among veterans that MCDC can be a real contender this year for a top score?

On 4/10/2017 at 8:51 PM, RetiredMusTeach said:

I have seen quite a bit of chatter from staff and members on FB and Twitter that makes me think that they are expecting to make a big leap forward this year.  The music selection is really interesting and I'm thinking that and the theme should provide ample "food" for a great color guard show.  Is there a sense among veterans that MCDC can be a real contender this year for a top score?

One thing is for sure, that this is the best horn line that MCDC has ever seen, as almost half of last year's vets are in the corps this year. (huge comeback ratio for an OC corps) Staff is also sure that the color guard is also the best that the corps has seen. That being said, everyone is definitely expecting MCDC to make their highest ever score so far this season. A lot of vets are saying we just might place right under BDB and SCVC at OC Finals. I can't say anything about placement, but I can almost guarantee this will be the best MCDC yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BassClefTristan said:

One thing is for sure, that this is the best horn line that MCDC has ever seen, as almost half of last year's vets are in the corps this year. (huge comeback ratio for an OC corps) Staff is also sure that the color guard is also the best that the corps has seen. That being said, everyone is definitely expecting MCDC to make their highest ever score so far this season. A lot of vets are saying we just might place right under BDB and SCVC at OC Finals. I can't say anything about placement, but I can almost guarantee this will be the best MCDC yet.

OK - you just made my day!  I had a sneaky suspicion that was the case but now I've heard it from the horse's mouth.  Thanks! 

On 4/9/2017 at 8:17 PM, BassClefTristan said:

As a MCDC '17 Lead Bari, I can attest to that. :P For real though, there is great improvement in this entire corps this year alone, as my 3-star (3 year vet, about to be 4) section leader is saying that the attitude, ambition, and raw talent in the corps is tremendously improved from last year. There's a lot of factors why that is, and probably the biggest part of it is staff changes. With a 5 year Bluecoat 2016 Age-Out as our visual caption head, we're gonna look a lot better than the corps did last year. Sorry for my bias-fueled comment, but I honestly felt I had to say something for my corps. :P

That's all they needed last year.  Music was awesome, visual wasn't QUITE as strong as the music though.  Definitely wasn't terrible but for what they were playing...well if what we saw matched the level of what we heard they woulda been a lot higher.  

I've enjoyed Music City for quite awhile now, looking forward to what seems like is going to be another strong showing.  

• Like 1

Considering that just a few years ago Music City announced they were going inactive and were saved by donors.....I highly doubt that they would pass the review to move to World Class....I think they are on the right track from a talent and design perspective but the main factors in deciding on World Class are the financial stability to sustain a full tour. I am not sure about Legends....but all signs point in the direction that they may be next. They have slowly built up their tour every year with a few more shows....and they have continued to climb the competitive ladder. Not sure of their intentions but I could see them making the move soon.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 2:37 PM, Jeremy Denzer said:

Considering that just a few years ago Music City announced they were going inactive and were saved by donors.....I highly doubt that they would pass the review to move to World Class....I think they are on the right track from a talent and design perspective but the main factors in deciding on World Class are the financial stability to sustain a full tour. I am not sure about Legends....but all signs point in the direction that they may be next. They have slowly built up their tour every year with a few more shows....and they have continued to climb the competitive ladder. Not sure of their intentions but I could see them making the move soon.

I see where you're coming from. Although, I think it should be noted that MCDC, since 2014, has been steadily maintaining full tours; this year, we have 20, whereas last year the corps had about 13ish. Again, I'm incredibly biased, so take with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BassClefTristan said:

I see where you're coming from. Although, I think it should be noted that MCDC, since 2014, has been steadily maintaining full tours; this year, we have 20, whereas last year the corps had about 13ish. Again, I'm incredibly biased, so take with a grain of salt.

I am glad you are continuing to provide inside information.  The Open Class is a great source of young, bright, talented musicians and continually improving, exciting shows.  But it doesn't get much action on this website.  That can be changed by MM's like you expressing your insights and knowledge.  This "Who Will Move Up Next" link should be on fire and smoking from all the input from members, parents, and staff of the various super fine OC corps.

On 3/13/2017 at 9:39 AM, sagemode67 said:

Competitive success is not the only thing that determines if a corps will go world, money is a huge factor in it.

I think part of the reason Genesis went world was because they knew they weren't going to beat BDB or SCVC for a long time, so the figured they might as well go world class now.

I don't think their competition had anything to do with it, honestly. And if they were indeed measuring themselves by BDB comparisons, there are about 10 World Class corps that came up short.

Mike