Anyone know of any good drill writing software?

I have always loved the art of drill and I have some ideas that I want to put into reality or better yet, virtual reality. I would love some recommendations for good drill writing software. Thanks guys!

Pyware is probably the most used, but there are others like EnVision and Field Artist. For a cheaper version, micromarching.com is a flash-based version of a drill writing software that is more user-friendly. 

• Like 3

Pencil, paper, ruler, protractor, compass, eraser (yup, lots of erasers).

That was our drill writing software BITD

• Like 4

Although I have been on Micromarching for almost a decade now (oh my God), I wouldn't call it a software.  But it's fun, I still jump on there.  Great to just spit out some ideas on for fun.  

Pyware is the most widely used, although I didn't find it very user friendly when trying to learn how to use it.  I like the ability to just jump right in with Envision and be able to manipulate/click and drag individual MMs around and then set a form rather than having go through a whole process like in Pyware.  But if you're used to Pyware it's probably easy  and I'm just an idiot.  

Pyware/Envision/Field Artist are your best bets.  I'd suggest getting the demos, messing around with them WHILE watching the tutorials, and seeing what works best for you.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Although I have been on Micromarching for almost a decade now (oh my God), I wouldn't call it a software.  But it's fun, I still jump on there.  Great to just spit out some ideas on for fun.  

Pyware is the most widely used, although I didn't find it very user friendly when trying to learn how to use it.  I like the ability to just jump right in with Envision and be able to manipulate/click and drag individual MMs around and then set a form rather than having go through a whole process like in Pyware.  But if you're used to Pyware it's probably easy  and I'm just an idiot.  

Pyware/Envision/Field Artist are your best bets.  I'd suggest getting the demos, messing around with them WHILE watching the tutorials, and seeing what works best for you.  

I literally LOL'd at this.

15 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Jeez, it was almost a decade ago. I remember reading that first post on DCP and being obsessed with it for about a year after that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

Jeez, it was almost a decade ago. I remember reading that first post on DCP and being obsessed with it for about a year after that.

Its probably one of the coolest things Ive seen come the marching communitym

It doesn't answer your question, but this thread brings back memories - I wrote computer drill writing software for a college project back in 1990! For the time, it was pretty good (dont know if there were any others back then). I used my 87 garfield drill sheets as the show for my project, lol. Wish I would have continued with it and tried to sell it back then! Oh well.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2017 at 0:11 PM, ibexpercussion said:

Pencil, paper, ruler, protractor, compass, eraser (yup, lots of erasers).

That was our drill writing software BITD

French curves and bendable rulers. 

• Like 1