Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

21 hours ago, Tim K said:

Also read the scores when they are ready.  Those scores were announced within minutes of the last show's finish. 

This would definitely move things along...I'm not sure why show sponsors have 'stretched" things out in the past...I say announce even before the encore...those that want to stay for the encores will do so anyway...At the very end of just about every show I've been to there is a mass exodus...

If there is no more drum major retreat.....How would this effect the encore?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Liahona said:

This would definitely move things along...I'm not sure why show sponsors have 'stretched" things out in the past...I say announce even before the encore...those that want to stay for the encores will do so anyway...At the very end of just about every show I've been to there is a mass exodus...

If there is no more drum major retreat.....How would this effect the encore?

Hmmmm....if the DMs leave right away, but the corps doing the encore stays, it might make for a ragged performance by that corps if their DM is half-way to the next site.

:whistle:   :lle:

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Leave the encores for a corps home show or the DCI Finals champion. For those who have been through a DCM retreat back in the '80s; you know what I'm talking about. 

For those of us who haven't been through a DCM retreat back in the '80s, how 'bout you tell us what you're talking about?

On 3/10/2017 at 2:54 PM, drummergirl said:

Something else to possibly factor in that no one has mentioned is the drivers. There are mandated rules that affect the bus drivers.  They can only be up, awake, and driving for a certain number of hours and the show hours count since they drive to the show. 

Good point but we've had DMs for scores for ever but yes, perhaps as they travel further distances between shows, that may be a factor. I'm just feel it's the $$$ to rent a field, stadium for a show. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barneveld said:

For those of us who haven't been through a DCM retreat back in the '80s, how 'bout you tell us what you're talking about?

Maybe referring the length of time of encores, full retreats after a show. They did make the night drag on 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

Hmmmm....if the DMs leave right away, but the corps doing the encore stays, it might make for a ragged performance by that corps if their DM is half-way to the next site.

:whistle:   :lle:

DM would stay if corps is still there.  DM are usually whisked away because the corps booked already. Sometimes one corps just has their next show a much further distance than the other corps at a show. 

Edited by Tobias

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Good point but we've had DMs for scores for ever but yes, perhaps as they travel further distances between shows, that may be a factor. I'm just feel it's the $$$ to rent a field, stadium for a show. 

You could also be right.

I also can see the fact that last season we had scores online before some shows actually announced scores is part of this too. 

Regardless, or as they say in Alabama, irregardless, it will be interesting if this actually happens what residual change if any we will notice.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:10 AM, rpbobcat said:

So without DM's,they'd just announce the scores ?

I don't know the logistics of Drum Corps travel.

Do all the competing corps hang out until after retreat ?

If they do, this may be intended to let corps get on the road earlier.

My  recommendation,for what its worth,  would be for a corps to keep  one or two staff behind with the DM's and then leave after retreat.