Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

4 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

Well you're hardly, if ever, heading back to a housing site. Almost always headed to the next school/state.

Well, still results in more sleep.  More sleep actually results in far better field results most of the time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Get back to housing sites earlier, which ultimately results in more floor time.  

That was the thought when the no full retreat was implemented, but in virtually all cases, it has done nothing to increase floor time.

I do agree that that would be better, as more rest is always positive, but if you hang around a parking lot after a show, you'll still find many corps/members.

When I marched, we would depart 1 hour after retreat was over, and still had ample floor time. It's all in scheduling.

As much as I love retreats (of any size), this is probably a good decision to help corps get on the road quicker.

So are there still going to be score announcements and/or one corps performing a standstill after?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

That was the thought when the no full retreat was implemented, but in virtually all cases, it has done nothing to increase floor time.

I do agree that that would be better, as more rest is always positive, but if you hang around a parking lot after a show, you'll still find many corps/members.

When I marched, we would depart 1 hour after retreat was over, and still had ample floor time. It's all in scheduling.

Good point.  Im not exactly happy to see drum major retreat, I just want to point out it might yield some good results.

11 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Good point.  Im not exactly happy to see drum major retreat, I just want to point out it might yield some good results.

I agree in theory, but even as they've gone to drum major only retreats, it hasn't sped it up. The theory was that corps would leave and DM's would follow in a support vehicle after retreat, so even in today's model, if a corps left early, leaving the DM's behind, that's only a few members that have less down time, so I don't see how taking the DM's out would change even the sleep thing.

10 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I agree in theory, but even as they've gone to drum major only retreats, it hasn't sped it up. The theory was that corps would leave and DM's would follow in a support vehicle after retreat, so even in today's model, if a corps left early, leaving the DM's behind, that's only a few members that have less down time, so I don't see how taking the DM's out would change even the sleep thing.

It's a psychological thing. Just the sheer concept of knowing that "XYZ members are still here" is enough to keep a corps from really being motivated to pack up and leave. If you take out 100% of the elements keeping a corps from hitting the road (I believe DMs were that final straw), you're literally telling the corps "cool, we're good to go as soon as soon we're packed up."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ouooga said:

It's a psychological thing. Just the sheer concept of knowing that "XYZ members are still here" is enough to keep a corps from really being motivated to pack up and leave. If you take out 100% of the elements keeping a corps from hitting the road (I believe DMs were that final straw), you're literally telling the corps "cool, we're good to go as soon as soon we're packed up."

I was just about to post that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I'd love to see where that's been a concern or thought that corps staff, admins, and members have had. If that were a concern, DCI would not have gone to DM only retreats in the first place.

Although it may result in a net gain of minutes to get moving back to housing or to get on the road.  It probably doesn't get back enough minutes to make an impact on maximum sleep time.  It might  make it easier on food truck folks who can get all MM's a snack or something at the end of a show and can pack up maybe earlier.  It may make the coordination of the pack up and departure from a show a bit more organized for a corps.  Except for whoever is doing the encore.

With this change, the show ends, scores are tallied and read off within 10 minutes.  Corps are still packing up, no one is really ready to leave.  But you aren't waiting additional time for your DM to return.  The real time saver here is what is gained by not having to wait for the Troopers DM, lol.