Music Corps Should Reboot

Overture to "Colas Breugnon" : Dimitiri Kabalevsky

Dance Suite : Bartok

Gloria: John Rutter

Scene d'amour: Bernard Herrmann

Edited by Zeke
  • Like 1

I would love to see Santa Clara tackle William Walton music (1993 show) now that they have a big boy brass line once again.

Phantom Regiment should really give another go at Rachmaninoff's "Capriccio Bohemien" and "Symphonic Dances" (1995). And, while's it not a redo, with modern pit writing, can someone PLEASE bring Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto to the field?

I know they did it a million times in the 70s and 80s, but it's been 20-25 years now. I want to see the "modern" Blue Devils scorch their way through some Johnny Richards and Don Ellis.

Probably not at the top of everyone's list for Crown, but I loved their "Jekyll & Hyde" show (1999) and think they would KILL if they brought that show back with Klesch arranging for that Harloff brass line.

For Cavaliers I go back to 1994 and ask them to dust off the March from "Symphonic Metamorphosis" by Paul Hindemith, a fantastic piece that has only been performed a few times in DCI's 45 years.

My last choice is more conceptual than repertoire based. Controversial opinion: The Cadets' 2006 "Through the Looking Glass" show was an even better concept and design than the epic 2005 "The Zone". The execution was just the pits compared with 2005. Even though it was barely a decade ago, I think The Cadets should give that Bizarro/Alice in Wonderland type show concept another try.

Complaint department is over there.

• Like 1

1990 BD is a solid show, but that music could use a reboot (not to mention the staging and theatrics could be amazing). presumably they still have all those mirrors from a few years  still lying around.

Carolina Crown:   Pictures at an Exhibition (some modern theme title)

Agree with overture to Colas Breugnon

Another vote from me for Trittico. Also:

• "Praise Jerusalem"-Alfred Reed
  • "Armenian Dances"-Alfred Reed
  • "Variations on a Medieval Tune"-Dello Joio
  • "Sonoron Desert Holiday"-Ron Nelson
  • "Partita for Band"-Gregson
  • "Hymnsong of Philip Bliss"-Holsinger
  • "Suite for Jazz Orchestra"-Mike Pendowski
  • Music from "Empire of the Sun"-Williams

I'd love for Blue Knights to play Tritico again. 

Also for the Blue Devils to play Legend of the One Eyed Sailor 

13 minutes ago, sagemode67 said:

I'd love for Blue Knights to play Tritico again. 

Also for the Blue Devils to play Legend of the One Eyed Sailor 

Trittico again would be fun, as for Legend, I doubt that would happen, which is sad. Great chart, but not really fitting today's designs. Especially since even in the 70's it was used as a concert number primarily, when that was part of shows.

Just now, tesmusic said:

Trittico again would be fun, as for Legend, I doubt that would happen, which is sad. Great chart, but not really fitting today's designs. Especially since even in the 70's it was used as a concert number primarily, when that was part of shows.

Yeah I've though of that myself, doesn't fit the present day BD style. 

Just now, sagemode67 said:

Yeah I've though of that myself, doesn't fit the present day BD style. 

It's also a chart that's at a pretty awkward tempo to march. It's in cut-time, and usually performed at a tempo that if they marched to the half-note, would seem slow after about 30 seconds, and trying to march to the quarter note would be faster than possible for that type of duration.

It is always fun when they pull it out from time to time though in concerts, so if you get a chance to check that out, you'll dig it.