Most Successful Corps BY State

5 hours ago, old vanguard said:

The Milstadt Crusaders put out several pretty respectable corps over the years. They were not far from Belleville, IL.

I knew Mr. Creson (founder and manager of BK) slightly and was hoping to have the oppty to work with their horn line in the mid' sixties, but the Army had other plans.

A letter "From the President of the United States"  that began "GREETING: ..." decimated many a corps.

On 3/11/2017 at 8:53 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

A letter "From the President of the United States"  that began "GREETING: ..." decimated many a corps.

It sure did.

When my older brothers got started in corps... 1967.... I remember seeing shows where some corps members marched in their military uniforms. I'm guessing they were home on leave, perhaps?

• Like 1

I can recall seeing members in their military uniforms marching. I cannot come up with specifics. (Which corps? Which years?) Maybe someone else can provide some details.

I was in the Army in 1967 and attended several Des Plaines Vanguard appearances. I wore an Army summer khaki dress uniform to a couple of them. I was on staff, and not a marching member.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It sure did.

When my older brothers got started in corps... 1967.... I remember seeing shows where some corps members marched in their military uniforms. I'm guessing they were home on leave, perhaps?

"Military Marchers, the 1960's":

I remember seeing corps armed forces members home on leave,  marching in their military uniforms back in the Viet Nam war era.  There was a picture of Skyliner Sol Anthony marching with his corps in his Army tans in DCN, and Frank Dorritte marching with Sunrisers in his.

Elphaba  :flower:

• Like 3

OT a bit, but a quick, hopefully humorous story  (I'm never quite sure....LOL)  about the "marching while home on leave" thing...

1970, my older brother Lenny was with the Manville, NJ, Sacred Heart Crusaders junior corps.... my dad, myself, and Lenny's twin brother Marty went to see them at the World Open in Lynn, MA.  Marty was with the Air Force and was home on leave.

Lenny and Marty were identical twins. Really identical. Unless you were immediate family, you could not tell them apart back then.

Long story shorter... at a nighttime rehearsal up there in MA,  Marty snuck into the drill in Lenny's spot... of course, Marty had absolutely no idea what the drill was.... and for a period of time drove the corps' director and drill guy crazy, until the switchup was revealed.  LOL.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, KeithHall said:

Alabama....................Charioteers?

New York...................Purple Lancers, Squires, Patriots?

Florida.......................Suncoast, Magic, Wave?

Georgia.....................Spirit of Atlanta?

Pennsylvania............Crossmen, Royal Crusaders?

California..................Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard or Anaheim Kingsmen?

Washington.............Cascade, Imperials, Marksmen, Black Watch

Oregon....................Argonauts

Illinois.....................Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Black Knights

Ohio.......................Bluecoats, Glassmen

Indiana...................Star, Maple City Cadets?

Wisconsin..............Madison Scouts, Kilties, Blue Star

Massachusetts.....27th Lancers, Boston Crusaders, North Star

on and on

Keith..I'm surprised...you are not exactly a kid.  How could you forget St. Joseph's of Batavia for New York.  They were a real power house with a killer drum line.  Top high drums in 68 VFWs.  And who could forget Big Spender.  Blew the house down.

Edited by Bucbari

If I may add two more great Connecticut corps, Emerald Cadets and the Surfers. 

On 3/18/2017 at 11:11 PM, Bucbari said:

Keith..I'm surprised...you are not exactly a kid.  How could you forget St. Joseph's of Batavia for New York.  They were a real power house with a killer drum line.  Top high drums in 68 VFWs.  And who could forget Big Spender.  Blew the house down.

"Utica's Best":

Remember the Magnificent Yankees?    Great corps.

Elphaba       :flower:

• Like 1

I remember watching the Magnificent Yankees compete at the 1965 VFW Nationals in Chicago. Very impressive! They played a difficult book back then.

Yea, I realize Black Knights, Gaucd that about St. Joe's and Utica. You know after 76, Black Knights, Gauchos and even Imperial Regiment were doing well too.

Edited by KeithHall
error in sentence