Prof. Nicholas Childs of .......

15 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

There are a ton of composers/publishers who will issue arrangement licenses with no drama who absolutely will not under any circumstances grant video licenses for that music.

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

I stand by my argument that more corps should compose their own music.

I feel further confirmed in my sentiment.

And not every corps has to have a Richard Saucedo on staff to do it.  Outsource.  Commission a work.  It doesn't even have to be from the usual suspects of wind ensemble rock stars; there are composers on the front edge of all sorts of genres who could give you something new and different.

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

And not every corps has to have a Richard Saucedo on staff to do it.  Outsource.  Commission a work.  It doesn't even have to be from the usual suspects of wind ensemble rock stars; there are composers on the front edge of all sorts of genres who could give you something new and different.

Mike

I posted this is in another sub forum discussion about Custom Music, but now that I've conveniently steered the conversation here, I'll reshare it.

On 3/13/2017 at 9:00 AM, ouooga said:

I think we often overthink the costs/process associated with "original" music. I follow a lot of Electronic music composers, and many of them generate truly original pieces of music that spans the emotional spectrum, lasting anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours+. And their style of music (from a composational standpoint) isn't too far off from drum corps. There's an artist named Tiesto who basically does super emotional Blue Devils shows, and Bluecoats' show from this past season pulled a lot of the musical structural elements I've seen from several artists.

To the point of Electronic, we naturally assume "electronic" won't work for our activity, but the electronic part is purely because that's the set of audio files they upload into their system. I've spoken to a few EDM composers about this, and every one of them feels they could make an amazing 12 minute production using nothing but brass and percussion audio files, spanning literally any emotional spectrum we'd want.

On top of that, there's literally software that can translate these electronic compositions into sheet music. If a corps were to hire a moderately talented EDM producer to produce the music, and then run it through a basic sheet music annotation software, that corps could literally have a super engaging, truly original, wholly owned musical program in a weekend.

• Like 1

i'm really not a fan of any all-original music show i've ever seen. music always takes a distant back seat in those shows for me. i completely agree with the cavies winning every single year they won, but it's just not my thing. 

100% a preference thing for me.

8 hours ago, Lance said:

i'm really not a fan of any all-original music show i've ever seen. music always takes a distant back seat in those shows for me.

Almost as if music you wouldn't hear in any medium except a few months of drum corps...isn't actually substantial music. Who would have thought!

Love what Saucedo did in 2000. Was very much an example of a great arranger taking the music of excellent composers (McTee, Daugherty) with similar aesthetics to his own, and creating a great DCI brass book. And the visual created a perfect balance, again, for me personally. Just a perfect DCI show. 

Edited by Lance

19 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

*Bagad Plougastell de Soneriean-an-l'Orient , Lorient, Brittany, France marched a large contingent in yesterday's NYC St. Patrick's Day parade and excited its two million (police estimate) spectators along the three mile route.  The Bretons ( from a place where a type of Gaelic is spoken) included the usual bagpipes and drums plus wind chanters, other percussive instruments, electronics (a la WGI and DCI) and up tempoed a French melody to the delight of the cheering, dancing, and very pleased and affirming crowd.

If they can do it with bagpipes...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

And in Ireland yesterday, the one competitive drum and bugle corps from Brittany who has competed in DCEurope, Kadoudal performed.

Their admin and faculty have been alums of  Madison Scouts, Cadets, and Phantom Regiment amongst others. Some even post on DCP.

17342573_1257069207675880_7134830677605561746_n.jpg?oh=ba36e86a24ca6cf16213e72c4a2abd7b&oe=596FAD34

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Almost as if music you wouldn't hear in any medium except a few months of drum corps...isn't actually substantial music. Who would have thought!

That feels backwards to me. Is there something inherently less musically substantial about drum and bugle corps than about, say, string quartets?

If the music were good enough, it could be adapted to other forms.

On 3/18/2017 at 0:02 AM, Hrothgar15 said:

Really? I haven't stopped whistling Cavies 01 in 15 years....