A look back at 11 years of DCI at the Ga. Dome

A nice look back at the past 11 years of DCI Southeastern Championships at Atlanta's Georgia Dome. Seems like just yesterday that my wife and I picked Dan Acheson and a couple of other DCI folks up at the airport and took them to their first meeting with the Dome administration to discuss the possibility of hosting a drum corps show.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/LAbKv4wTtX1lD/?DB_OEM_ID=33500

• Like 1

I only attended Atlanta once, in 2014. I usually attend Allentown and try to attend Indy, but other commitments made that impossible, but I was able to get to Atlanta which made it possible to see all the WC corps live. I enjoyed the energy of the audience, with so many young fans who were full of enthusiasm. I was told by a local band director who sat near me that there is a lot of outreach to school groups  which seemed to pay off. My hotel was near the Georgia Dome which meant I could walk. Bluecoats and "Tilt" was the audience favorite with SCV and "Scheherezade" a close second. I thought it was a great venue for drum corps.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

I only attended Atlanta once, in 2014. I usually attend Allentown and try to attend Indy, but other commitments made that impossible, but I was able to get to Atlanta which made it possible to see all the WC corps live. I enjoyed the energy of the audience, with so many young fans who were full of enthusiasm. I was told by a local band director who sat near me that there is a lot of outreach to school groups  which seemed to pay off. My hotel was near the Georgia Dome which meant I could walk. Bluecoats and "Tilt" was the audience favorite with SCV and "Scheherezade" a close second. I thought it was a great venue for drum corps.

Our high school hosted Madison Scouts for the last 6 years of DCI South and was a big reason why our little (comparatively speaking) band ended up placing a good number of alums in DCI and DCA corps over the years. Great opportunity for the kids to see (1) practice at its highest level and (2) a whole day of competitive corps in the lot and competition (courtesy of the generous free tickets given as part of the price paid by corps for housing). Probably the best example I've seen of combining local outreach with great late-season drum corps.

Now if they could just figure out how to fix the traffic jam after the show's over...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rufus67 said:

Now if they could just figure out how to fix the traffic jam after the show's over...

With the many events held there over the years with larger crowds, you'd think they would have that figured out by now.