Phantom Regiment 2017

A different show title was floating around on the internet (maybe Reddit) a couple months before the season started - Walk Through the Fire, or something like that. That title could've been completely bogus, or it could be that the designers were still deciding on the show title near to the start of the season. And they didn't announce the title until late May or early June. I assume the concept was the same regardless of the show title.

And for what it's worth, I don't mind a show title or concept that's vague. Plenty of Regiment shows have had vague themes (primarily driven by music or visual theme): Songs for a Summer Night, Adventures Under a Darkened Sky (dark unis, and a TREMENDOUS title), Defiant Heart (lack of color), Virtuoso, etc. And even this year, the Bluecoats "Downside Up" theme really meant nothing, and frankly didn't even relate to anything they were doing.

Maybe it's me, but look at the announcement for VoP:

http://regiment.org/2016-phantom-regiment-presents/

After watching the show and going back to the announcement, I didn't know exactly what to think.

• Like 1

A different show title was floating around on the internet (maybe Reddit) a couple months before the season started - Walk Through the Fire, or something like that. That title could've been completely bogus, or it could be that the designers were still deciding on the show title near to the start of the season. And they didn't announce the title until late May or early June. I assume the concept was the same regardless of the show title.

And for what it's worth, I don't mind a show title or concept that's vague. Plenty of Regiment shows have had vague themes (primarily driven by music or visual theme): Songs for a Summer Night, Adventures Under a Darkened Sky (dark unis, and a TREMENDOUS title), Defiant Heart (lack of color), Virtuoso, etc. And even this year, the Bluecoats "Downside Up" theme really meant nothing, and frankly didn't even relate to anything they were doing.

I don't mind vague either, sometimes I prefer it. PR 2003 (harmonic journey) is my favorite show of all time, and it's concept is vague AF.

I agree with you on that.

I think this past season is a good example of when a show concept can be "too" vague. It seemed like there were a lot of people trying to interpret the show all season.

As for musical selections, when I listened to the Marching Roundtable podcast with Will Pitts, I was left with the impression that a lot of his musical suggestions were what they played. Is that not under the role of Jeremy EarnHart?

Dan Ferrel said on one of those podcasts a couple of years ago that any time they bring somebody new in to the design team, they like to go in the direction that they want to go. An example is into the light, which was myron rosanders idea when he joined the team.

• Like 2

Not sure if that's accurate, however long term it doesn't seem like the right strategy. You either believe in Rosander or you don't. Being one of the epic designers I'd trust his designs over most others. Having said that some of the shows mentioned don't feel like they are vague. Some of those shows music made a story all in itself.

I believe that Phantom is having an identity crisis. The on-boarding process seems to put new blood in a bad position with the "We'll let you do your show your way, and if it does contend with the top corps you'll do it our way." Hoping that a team comes together and/building a team that comes together are two different approaches. Building a team that has uniformity of thought needs to be developed. My way or the highway seems to be the only way leadership knows how to operate. Doing it my way has proven to be less successful (IMO)

I agree with you on that.

I think this past season is a good example of when a show concept can be "too" vague. It seemed like there were a lot of people trying to interpret the show all season.

As for musical selections, when I listened to the Marching Roundtable podcast with Will Pitts, I was left with the impression that a lot of his musical suggestions were what they played. Is that not under the role of Jeremy EarnHart?

As I posted in the merri-go-round thread, I found it to be a sorry move that the designers and admin wanted to "just get through this anniversary year" so that they "could modernize next year." Why throw the kids under the bus with a half ### design? That's really crappy to not set them up for success when the scores reflected that the kids could perform at a level higher than what was being designed.

I'm glad people are finally coming around to what I've been saying for years.

But the thing is, who would want to come work there?

Edited by phd-student-TTU

As I posted in the merri-go-round thread, I found it to be a sorry move that the designers and admin wanted to "just get through this anniversary year" so that they "could modernize next year."

According to whom?

Only 42 or so age-outs this year it seems. If the retention rate can be held high and the design competitive, this seemed a great bunch who were both phamily and hard workers primed for more.

Yeah, I kind of think that's asking quite a lot. I hope next season will be the year Phantom finally realizes that they have all of the talent in the world and shows that are stuck in last decade. It's not a slam on them, I just don't think they're going to get out of the middle unless they really start putting together legitimately competitive shows for this age of DCI.

• Like 1

As I posted in the merri-go-round thread, I found it to be a sorry move that the designers and admin wanted to "just get through this anniversary year" so that they "could modernize next year." Why throw this kids under the bus with a half ### design? That's really crappy to not set them up for success when the scores reflected that the kids could perform at a level higher than what was being designed.

I'm glad people are finally coming around to what I've been saying for years.

But the thing is, who would want to come work there?

If this were true upper management needs to resign. After all the corp members are "Paying" members. The bait and switch shows a lack of honesty if true. Question is are the corp members paying for the learned experience or the experience of being in a drum corp?

This is sounding more and more like a Trump University experience.

• Like 1

According to whom?

Someone on staff.

If this were true upper management needs to resign. After all the corp members are "Paying" members. The bait and switch shows a lack of honesty if true. Question is are the corp members paying for the learned experience or the experience of being in a drum corp?

This is sounding more and more like a Trump University experience.

I know it's been difficult to modernize. People have brought up 2010's show in this thread. I watched it again about a month ago and thought that show was brilliant and the direction that needed to go in. However...lots of older alumni were furious at that show, and it was part of the reason they lost the Shaw/Rennick team.

Someone on staff.

I know it's been difficult to modernize. People have brought up 2010's show in this thread. I watched it again about a month ago and thought that show was brilliant and the direction that needed to go in. However...lots of older alumni were furious at that show, and it was part of the reason they lost the Shaw/Rennick team.

Ok, you did not hear that from anyone on staff. they did not want to 'just get through' the anniversary year, that's rediculous.

Also, funny you say the 2010 show was brilliant. I seem to remember you #####ing up a storm about how awful it was at the time.

• Like 1