Phantom Regiment 2017

58 minutes ago, 1956OPR said:

Congratulations to gabe211. We know Sibelius and Shostakovich will be in the program and Rachmaninoff is certainly possible under the cover of "selections from past years". I like the possibility of more Khachaturian; it reminds me of 2008. As for Maurice Jarre, he is primarily known for film scores for Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago and A Passage to India; I am putting my bet on Lara's Theme from Zhivago for (one of) their ballad(s).

I am not very excited about the uniform sketch unless it is designated only for the DMs. If it is and the field corps retains its devotion to all white ( with the black chevron crest on the front a la Turandot and with the blood red sleeves, I might like this uniform a lot.

i think your guesses may be too strongly associated with their original theme / movie.  

what about this?  makes a nice 1:30 ballad.  

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

i think your guesses may be too strongly associated with their original theme / movie.  

what about this?  makes a nice 1:30 ballad.  

corpsband,

Your guess is as good as mine re the Jarre piece. I did listen to AWitC and liked it; it is soothing and certainly a nice candidate for a 2017 Regiment ballad.

I picked those 3 movies because Jarre won an Academy Award for Best Original Film Score for each movie and I picked Lara's Theme because of its evocation of Russia and the Regiment's musical connection with Russia and its composers. 

Besides, as we learned last year with VoP,  2 ballads in a program can work and AWitC and LT could be the 2 that do this year. We will know soon...probably on June 6.

38 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

How do we know that "Jarre" is referring to Maurice Jarre and not this bro? I mean, Rob Ferguson is more involved now...

kdaddy,

Good point!  In listening to this Jean-Michel Jarre piece, I can envision a Front Ensemble interlude, perhaps after one of the ballads and/or perhaps as a build-up to a second ballad.

Your suggestion led me back to last Sunday's post by year1buick about the delivery of new PreSonos equipment from Pageantry Innovations; a short video on the latter's site featured the Regiment's FE. Maybe the new equipment will enhance PR's capability to faithfully represent the Oxygene, Pt 17 composition.

By the way, isn't Jean-Michel the son of Maurice?

Edited by 1956OPR
clarification

25 minutes ago, 1956OPR said:

Good point!  In listening to this Jean-Michel Jarre piece, I can envision a Front Ensemble interlude, perhaps after one of the ballads and/or perhaps as a build-up to a second ballad.

I'm just playing (blue) devil's advocate... :)

Much of what has been posted by Maurice Jarre looks to be ballad-y type stuff. I believe we already know that the ballad, or at least a slow section (maybe opening?) will be the Finlandia hymn. Maybe they'd try a second extended ballad again this year, but I can't imagine this design staff would make the pacing mistake of last year. Maybe something more akin to 2011, where the opening (East of Eden) had a slower feel to it with a proper ballad that followed (also, props to the musical design of 2011 - tremendous pacing). 

And while I wouldn't hold my breath that the Jarre indeed refers to Jean-Michel, note that Broken Arrow has long had a knack for blending old and new, classical and electronic stuff. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I dont like the way this happened at all.  I really hope this show goes well for PR.

Maybe they did it this way on purpose. Genius. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

Rachmaninoff is certainly possible under the cover of "selections from past years".

I tend to think that the reference to "selections from past years" probably only applies to the specific civic concert the ad was for, not their field show (eg. Elsa's Procession).

Edit:  NVM - I see that someone else said the same thing already

Edited by Eleran