Phantom Regiment 2017

38 minutes ago, year1buick said:

It's almost become a perennial DCP tradition to declare that all is lost for Regiment in the first week of competition (sometimes before). They'll be fine.

Well considering that the video most of these declarations are being based off was taken a week ago today in Nebraska, (not counting all of you that have seen it live since then) that is a very, very true statement. :/ 

On a different note, the Himalayanesqe yodeling (or whatever vocals those are in the middle part of the of the show) remind me of this video: 

Edited by Who's on first?

3 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

Well considering that the video most of these declarations is being based off was taken a week ago today in Nebraska, (not counting all of you that have seen it live since then) that is a very, very true statement. :/ 

On a different note, the Himalayanesqe yodeling (or whatever vocals those are in the middle part of the of the show) remind me of this video: 

You've missed my point entirely.

4 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, they really made 2008 into something special by the end of the season, but the potential was there from the beginning.

I think the point is this: Early on in 2008, Regiment was hanging around 4th/5th, and they ended up in 1st. Early on in 2017, Regiment is hanging around 9th/10th, and given previous years' trajectories, they could end up in 6th/7th. The argument isn't "they have the potential to win a title in 2017" (at least I hope no one is that crazy). The argument is "they have the potential to be a lot better this year, let's give it a little time." 

Yes, "all is lost" is declared for this corps early on for the last few years. And, in my opinion, that was justified. :) This year, I just don't happen to think it is. At least not to the extent that I saw in the Stanford thread. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, year1buick said:

You've missed my point entirely.

I was trying to help support your point that people declare that there is no hope for PR early on... The comments about lack of general ability of the show to compete were mainly based off of a recording of a show that was made almost a week before the competitions even started, which was part of your statement from earlier. Sorry if my intent got lost. I want them to "be fine" just as much as the rest of us! :)

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I think the point is this: Early on in 2008, Regiment was hanging around 4th/5th, and they ended up in 1st. Early on in 2017, Regiment is hanging around 9th/10th, and given previous years' trajectories, they could end up in 6th/7th. The argument isn't "they have the potential to win a title in 2017" (at least I hope no one is that crazy). The argument is "they have the potential to be a lot better this year, let's give it a little time." 

Yes, "all is lost" is declared for this corps early on for the last few years. And, in my opinion, that was justified. :) This year, I just don't happen to think it is. At least not to the extent that I saw in the Stanford thread. 

They were not for one single second of the 2008 season sitting in 5th place, and were in 4th for literally one second. Please visit fromthepressbox or BK site and revisit scores from 2008. They:

1. Lost to SCV once, by 0.1 the first time they saw them.

2. Lost to Crown twice (7/19 and 7/22 by 0.25 and 0.50).

3. Sure they spent most of the season behind BD and Cavies, and it's a great testament to them that they passed both up to win the title, but Regiment was never at risk of placing 5th. When SCV beat them they were well ahead of Crown and when Crown beat them they were well ahead of SCV. The absolute lowest they could have placed in 2008 was 4th.

And what previous trajectories are you referring to? They haven't flown up the ranks, during a season, in a long time. They basically finished right were they started in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. There's really no trajectory to support your argument.

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

And what previous trajectories are you referring to? They haven't flown up the ranks, during a season, in a long time. They basically finished right were they started in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. There's really no trajectory to support your argument.

The trajectory of 2008... which was unfortunately almost 10 years ago. And is refuted by your point.

8 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

I was trying to help support your point that people declare that there is no hope for PR early on... The comments about lack of general ability of the show to compete were mainly based off of a recording of a show that was made almost a week before the competitions even started, which was part of your statement from earlier. Sorry if my intent got lost. I want them to "be fine" just as much as the rest of us! :)

Gotcha-- I totally misread that. :)

The show has a lot of potential.  After they get it clean I can see this show moving up nicely.  This whole idea that someone needs uber talent to win DCI needs to learn how to teach.  Moderate talent with a lot of will, determination and good instruction (and a good show and support) makes the difference.  You people are way too easily impressed by running 32nd and 16th note runs.  They practice literally 100's of hours so one would hope you could play a #### run with all that.  One would hope at the college level you could sight read it and play it that day but I digress.  I think they are the dark horse this year to make a move.  We will see.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

The show has a lot of potential.  After they get it clean I can see this show moving up nicely.  This whole idea that someone needs uber talent to win DCI needs to learn how to teach.  Moderate talent with a lot of will, determination and good instruction (and a good show and support) makes the difference.  You people are way too easily impressed by running 32nd and 16th note runs.  They practice literally 100's of hours so one would hope you could play a #### run with all that.  One would hope at the college level you could sight read it and play it that day but I digress.  I think they are the dark horse this year to make a move.  We will see.

True, but you're missing a big key piece of the puzzle - moderate talent AND a great design. The Cavies last year are the perfect example of that. No one will ever convince me they had more talent than the Cadets, but they beat them because they had a very very well designed show, musically and visually. When you spend time cleaning, instead of re-working, you see results, and as you see results moral goes up. When you are constantly re-working (Regiment '09) the spread between you and the corps in front of you gets bigger, and corps beneath you pass you. That lowers moral and makes things even worse. Not saying there are massive re-writing plans at Regiment last year. What I'm saying is I don't think the design of this show can compete with the top 6 from last year, Blue Stars, Crossmen, Boston Crusaders, Blue Knights and possibly Madison (I haven't seen them yet). Talent make take them over Crossmen and Madison, but talent isn't going to be a deciding factor against the other three.

And it's not 32nd and 16th note runs that make for a great design - it is a whole lot of things.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2