Phantom Regiment 2017

14 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

Or you could rephrase - you don't want them to risk getting "slotted". 

That's part of it too. I like the show. I was honestly bored musically in Stanford, but that could easily change. It could actually end up being one of my favorites. I prefer old school to new school, but the judges don't. Furthermore, I love classical music and am actually a big fan of Regiment, which is why I'm here. You won't find me on the Bluecoats, Cavies or BD thread (I could honestly care less about them). The judges just don't reward shows that aren't modern. Look at who wins - Bluecoats and BD). Can you honestly say you think Regiment's show is even in the same league as what Bluecoats and BD are doing? I don't think you can - I don't think you can say that about anyone else but SCV. Those are the show designs that win, not Regiment or Madison (haven't seen their show this year). I heard Madison has really come out outside of the box this year - this is a Madison we have never seen. That's good. Regiment has to do the same thing, and when you constantly rehash music and have an old school drill, that's not exactly modernizing. When was the last time they played a piece that hasn't been played before? I honestly cannot think that far back - probably 2004. Now don't get me wrong - some of their rehashes have been successful (2006's Scythian Suite was a big improvement over 1984*, and 2008's Spartacus was a massive success), but as of late, they aren't better. 

I am also a big fan of Madison and last year when I watched Bluecoats and Crown, my first thought was, "This is where Madison and Regiment should be today." They were innovators in the past and saw competitive success due to that. Today, they have issues recruiting top talent and are turning into stepping stone corps. That's not good, and doesn't bode well for future success. You either play the game or get left behind. I just want both corps to move back up the ranks and have the rivalry they used to have when they were highly competitive.

I may be harsh, but I like to think that I have passion for these corps.

* In no way bashing the '84 show because that was a pretty #### great show in itself, but they really improved that piece in 2006. I also thought they should have won in 2006. That was a great show, top to bottom. 2007 too - so underrated. I prefer both of those to 2008.

Edited by henry7184

47 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

That's exactly it. Thank you for giving me the attention. I also had the balls to go onto the Cadets thread and admit I was completely wrong in my judgement of the Cadets show. So there.

You would certainly help your case if you didn't repeat your negative commentary five times more than necessary. 

Unless you think we're all stupid and can't read what you're saying the first time around that you say it

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You would certainly help your case if you didn't repeat your negative commentary five times more than necessary. 

Unless you think we're all stupid and can't read what you're saying the first time around that you say it

No. It's called a discussion debate. I say something, you counter, I say something, you counter. That's how it works. If someone quotes in and says something, I'm going to respond. 

Edited by henry7184

9 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Deja Vu is a weird feeling.  

Isn't it? I need to really work on giving up on hopeless cases

GUYS!!! It's freaking band on grass! That's all it is! Seems like a bottle of chill pills would do a lot of good here. I love passion but... Jeez. Bad vibes here.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zachariaswmb said:

Henry, I took your advice and watched '83-'85. Then rewatched DCI West. Short answer: you're full of it. I'll provide a long form answer once you provide specific examples for your case. 

We'll see who's full of it when Regiment is sitting in 10th to 12th come finals. Enjoy it. Ignoring you now. Done with this thread.

10 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

We'll see who's full of it when Regiment is sitting in 10th to 12th come finals. Enjoy it. Ignoring you now. Done with this thread.

Another debate lost it would seem.

• Like 1