Phantom Regiment 2017

Good job, Phantom!  I heard that the show wasn't that good this year too, but I thoroughly enjoyed this show much more than the past few years.  There was some real passion there and their color guard was great!  Keep it up!

• Like 5

Regiment blew me away in Allentown.  So impressed with how much they've grown this year.  The visual program is wonderful and that guard, oh my.  Best guard on flag that my group (none of which are Phantom Phans except me) saw.  Those girls can SPIN.    There are flaws (the voice overs and the amping of the hornline are glaringly detractions), but this is a nice step forward with a YOUNG corps (the horn line has grown by leaps and bounds, but is still not a strength).  Very enjoyable show that was seemingly the talk of many fans and some staffs walking around the next day - and particularly the guard.  Felt like the guard was way under-scored.  Can't wait to see this momentum carried forward to Indianapolis next week.  9th or not, this is an evolutionary year for Phantom while remaining true to their roots.  Seeing how much is lacking in the musicality of the programming in most of the top, it makes me appreciate this show even more.   Thanks, Regiment!

Harvey

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

Regiment blew me away in Allentown.  So impressed with how much they've grown this year.  The visual program is wonderful and that guard, oh my.  Best guard on flag that my group (none of which are Phantom Phans except me) saw.  Those girls can SPIN.    There are flaws (the voice overs and the amping of the hornline are glaringly detractions), but this is a nice step forward with a YOUNG corps (the horn line has grown by leaps and bounds, but is still not a strength).  Very enjoyable show that was seemingly the talk of many fans and some staffs walking around the next day - and particularly the guard.  Felt like the guard was way under-scored.  Can't wait to see this momentum carried forward to Indianapolis next week.  9th or not, this is an evolutionary year for Phantom while remaining true to their roots.  Seeing how much is lacking in the musicality of the programming in most of the top, it makes me appreciate this show even more.   Thanks, Regiment!

Harvey

I saw them live last night in Buffalo and was pleasantly surprised. They performed just before INT, and my dad and I agreed that of the four corps that performed in the first half, they were our favorites of the night thus far. They did a wonderful job blending traditional drum corps flavor with modern material. And of course, the Phantomettes were incredible! I'm working on the full show review now, so there's more to come later.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I saw them live last night in Buffalo and was pleasantly surprised. They performed just before INT, and my dad and I agreed that of the four corps that performed in the first half, they were our favorites of the night thus far. They did a wonderful job blending traditional drum corps flavor with modern material. And of course, the Phantomettes were incredible! I'm working on the full show review now, so there's more to come later.

Hope you will give credit to their Front Ensemble who work their tails off. While all the focus is past them onto the field watching the Phantomettes do more costume changes than even Cadets, PRPIt probably does more fff cymbal crashes than the test lab at Zildjians!

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5

Just now, xandandl said:

Hope you will give credit to their Front Ensemble who work their tails off. While all the focus is past them onto the field watching the Phantomettes do more costume changes than even Cadets, PRPIt probably does more fff cymbal crashes than the test lab at Zildjians!

The front ensemble is indeed very good! The percussion writing throughout the show is tasty.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2017 at 3:13 PM, phd-student-TTU said:

I thought he was dropping out of the creative team?

apparently he hasn't totally.  still the same ole PR formula, especially the sappy ballard with the damsel in distress running around chasing her man.  and always the sections put in groups and doing their thing. 

It's so much better as a whole but needs to break the mould.  And for god's sake, this is not a flag show.  tone them down.

and i do appreciate the field not being littered with stuff.  still don't get the effect of the helmet change. not necessary.

Edited by war eagle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, war eagle said:

apparently he hasn't totally.  still the same ole PR formula, especially the sappy ballard with the damsel in distress running around chasing her man.  and always the sections put in groups and doing their thing. 

It's so much better as a whole but needs to break the mould.  And for god's sake, this is not a flag show.  tone them down.

and i do appreciate the field not being littered with stuff.  still don't get the effect of the helmet change. not necessary.

Agree on the ballad. Can't really agree on your 2nd line though. That flag work is what is putting this show together. And they look so unique compared to the rest of the competition that's doing wayyy less unison flag work, and more rippled rifle work, dancing, and work with weird objects. 

I really like where their visual design is heading, but the music needs some work. Will Pitts is doing a good job writing a book that sort of harkens back to the classic Phantom sound, but he isn't no JD Shaw. 

11 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

Seeing how much is lacking in the musicality of the programming in most of the top, it makes me appreciate this show even more.   Thanks, Regiment!

Harvey

Please elaborate to clarify for me. Do you just not like the literature or the delivery/performance of "most of the top"? Or both?