Phantom Regiment 2017

Just now, Tacited said:

I mean, it is early season but the second movement and third movement seem insanely difficult musically and visually and at this point (given that I've only seen a run from two days ago), you can just tell that it's not comfortable yet, i.e. quality of sound is drastically suffering and drill/technique. But still, I believe in the Regiment this year, it's only gonna get easier from here.

That honestly makes me happy. Their shows have been too easy for the corps the past few years, it's good to see them having a show that really challenges them

• Like 7

Just now, Cappybara said:

That honestly makes me happy. Their shows have been too easy for the corps the past few years, it's good to see them having a show that really challenges them

Definitely, it is a BEAST. I agree, the members outperformed their show in recent years.

• Like 1

Saw their dress rehearsal in Reno tonight. It's a nice stop for the drum corps fans in northern Nevada. They are much more solid then they were at this time of year than the last time they came through in 2015.

The biggest head scratcher for me is the 8 shotgun mics they have set up at the front of the field. 10-12 feet off the ground. Soloist is on a wireless mic. So they are basically amplifying the entire marching unit. It was obvious when suddenly we heard the snare feature through the speaker stack.

Are the acoustics so bad in the oil can that corps now consider mixing the entire sound field through the board?

4 minutes ago, Dansize said:

Are the acoustics so bad in the oil can that corps now consider mixing the entire sound field through the board?

Yes.  Bluecoats amplified their entire brassline in the ballad today.

As for the drill, it was not a tall grandstand. Could see the potential. There are some spots where the forms bunched up a bit. Saw one melo or trumpet almost go down, and at the speed they were moving, there would have been 4 others that might have been taken out. Plenty of time to clean it up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dansize said:

Saw their dress rehearsal in Reno tonight. It's a nice stop for the drum corps fans in northern Nevada. They are much more solid then they were at this time of year than the last time they came through in 2015.

The biggest head scratcher for me is the 8 shotgun mics they have set up at the front of the field. 10-12 feet off the ground. Soloist is on a wireless mic. So they are basically amplifying the entire marching unit. It was obvious when suddenly we heard the snare feature through the speaker stack.

From my source in the corps, they said those mics are used to amplify the hornline because the number of horns were reduced to add more colorguard.

6 minutes ago, Tacited said:

From my source in the corps, they said those mics are used to amplify the hornline because the number of horns were reduced to add more colorguard.

8 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Yes.  Bluecoats amplified their entire brassline in the ballad today.

This, I do not like.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, gak27 said:

This, I do not like.

Agreed. Saw the mics backfield. Thought it was for solos, until the ballad became so loud in the theater people were actually holding their ears. 

• Like 1