Phantom Regiment 2017

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The difficulty of the drill in combination with the music reminds me of BAC 2014. I'm hoping they'll be a little more successful in getting it clean than they were

As has been mentioned a few times, the corps has outperformed the shows given them the last several years, as they were fairly uncomplicated.  This is far and above anything the corps has done drill wise since Into the Light.  They did a very nice job pulling that show off in the end.  I just hope the current talent is up to the challenge.  And it's about time the corps is given something new and progressive to work with.  Having only seen a practice tape, and it being just before their first show last night, I am still surprised at how poorly performed the guard's flag work is.  At this point straight forward flag work should be close to being in unison and it is anything but!  Is there a large number of rookies in the guard?

I look forward to watching this show, it has potential and am glad PR is up to something new.

Edited by war eagle
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, war eagle said:

As has been mentioned a few times, the corps has outperformed the shows given them the last several years, as they were fairly uncomplicated.  This is far and above anything the corps has done drill wise since Into the Light.  They did a very nice job pulling that show off in the end.  I just hope the current talent is up to the challenge.  And it's about time the corps is given something new and progressive to work with.  Having only seen a practice tape, and it being just before their first show last night, I am still surprised at how poorly performed the guards flag work is.  At this point straight forward flag work should be close to being in unison and it anything but!  Is there a large number of rookies in the guard?

I look forward to watching this show, it has potential and am glad PR is up to something new.

I was wondering about vet retention and talent level, too. It seems like they've become a jump-off corps. I've seen several go to BD, Bloo, and Crown in the last 4/5 years. 

I still need to see the visual design from a higher perspective. There looks like there's a lot of sweeping side to side block movements. I'm wondering why that's happening.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoaDci said:

I'm wondering if Cartwright is actually pulling them back.

meaning?

Just now, phd-student-TTU said:

Not modern enough?

oh i see.  well it's a far cry from what they have been doing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

Do they use bass trombone? I feel like the Khachaturian needs bass trombone :D

6 hours ago, Jagula said:

Same, I want the Khachaturian to have a little bit more impact seeing as the symphony itself has points that are some of the loudest you'll find in a symphony.

I don't specifically remember whether or not they used bass trombones or not, I just remember feeling very underwhelmed after the initial excitement of seeing them. :( 

Wow - that Stanford thread...

I didn't get to see the broadcast. But I think it's worth noting that

• Regiment brass always struggles early on and they just typically don't play this level of brass book. (I'm not justifying their early season struggles, as it's bothered me for a few years that they don't perform at a high level until the end of the season, but perhaps it can give some hope)
  • Despite all the criticism (that I'm sure is justified), they were only a point behind BK.
  • Like 2

They hey should cut out everything before 2:03.