Phantom Regiment 2017

I don't know if I would go that far. 2013 was a well designed and good show in my opinion. I was disappointed with the brass and guard last night (I know nothing about drums). The drill is literally right out of 1984, which I liked because it was very readable (something we see less and less today), but I do not think it's going to do well with the judges because of that.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on most of this. 2013 was terrible, embarrassing. Bad arrangements and that stupid puppet. In what way is the drill from the 80's? I don't see that at all...

It seems Regiment decided the answer to their recent drops in placement was making the show visually demanding, but it's more demand for the sake of demand. The drill isn't anything special and there's nothing that really wows you. I can say that about almost everyone these days, so we will see. The same can be said for the show musically. I was quite bored honestly, but I felt that way about the 2nd half of BK and the entire Academy show too.

I think it's demanding because the music itself is so fast. I'd be interested to know the bpm of the shostakovich and the Jarre. Can't really make easy drill that's at all effective when you are going that fast. I agree that there is nothing drillwise that really wows you, but then again I don't ever see that from BD either. I think the drill stages the guard well which is the most important factor in vis design IMO. The drill itself is is good enough. 

Phantom needs to do what Madison is doing this year - totally modernize and give us something way outside of the norm for them. Will Madison be successful, I don't know. But Regiment seems to still be stuck in the past. Calling the show Phantasm and the choice of repertoire were the first clues that this was going to be a show still stuck in the past.

Disagree here. If phantom were doing crowns 'inferno' show would you still call it stuck in the past? I think this is much more 'modern' than that in many aspects. I think everyone would agree that Inferno was an incredible show. 

And if they decided to go the Madison route I would react appropriately to how it turns out - but good god would I be disappointed initially! :) 

I also would compare the start of the 2008 season to the start of the 2017 season. Spartacus never sucked at the beginning of the season. You could see the great potential that show had from the get go. In fact, Regiment started 2008 right on the heals of the Cavaliers and well ahead of Crown. It was mid-season when they placed 4th, not early season. They really added to the show to make it great, but the potential was there from the very beginning. I don't see much potential with the 2017 show, and I would expect them to place 10th to 12th. 

We must have seen two different early season shows. Crown was not todays crown (although they were on an ascent) so you can't really compare. They (phantom) placed relatively well early on (VERY well if you're going by their standards today) because their brass and percussion were incredibly strong. The visual design was embarrassingly terrible which is why most of it was re-written and the guard was mostly re-staged throughout the season. Not to mention those awkward awkward pauses.  Glad they figured it out well enough! Still not my idea of a great visual program, but it worked just well enough to make it one of my favorite shows at the end. 

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

53 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I also would compare the start of the 2008 season to the start of the 2017 season. Spartacus never sucked at the beginning of the season. You could see the great potential that show had from the get go. In fact, Regiment started 2008 right on the heals of the Cavaliers and well ahead of Crown. It was mid-season when they placed 4th, not early season. They really added to the show to make it great, but the potential was there from the very beginning. I don't see much potential with the 2017 show, and I would expect them to place 10th to 12th. 

Spartacus had wonky drill (though I wish they kept that sword formation) and they lost to SCV in the first couple of outings iirc.

52 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I don't know if I would go that far. 2013 was a well designed and good show in my opinion. I was disappointed with the brass and guard last night (I know nothing about drums). The drill is literally right out of 1984, which I liked because it was very readable (something we see less and less today), but I do not think it's going to do well with the judges because of that.

It seems Regiment decided the answer to their recent drops in placement was making the show visually demanding, but it's more demand for the sake of demand. The drill isn't anything special and there's nothing that really wows you. I can say that about almost everyone these days, so we will see. The same can be said for the show musically. I was quite bored honestly, but I felt that way about the 2nd half of BK and the entire Academy show too.

Phantom needs to do what Madison is doing this year - totally modernize and give us something way outside of the norm for them. Will Madison be successful, I don't know. But Regiment seems to still be stuck in the past. Calling the show Phantasm and the choice of repertoire were the first clues that this was going to be a show still stuck in the past.

I'm not quite sure I trust the judgment of someone who thinks a show with this comically terrible thing was a show that was well designed

10_29_2013_2013_phantom_regiment.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not quite sure I trust the judgment of someone who thinks a show with this comically terrible thing was a show that was well designed

10_29_2013_2013_phantom_regiment.jpg

I never said it was a brilliant design. I said visually it was a better design than today's show. The drill design of 2013 was very well done. One iffy element doesn't make for a poorly designed visual show. It was musically better too, and the scores that show received vs the scores this show receives are a testament to that.

Edited by henry7184

4 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I never said it was a brilliant design. I said visually it was a better design than today's show. It was musically better too, and the scores that show received vs the scores this show receives are a testament to that.

jamey thompson wrote good drill for that show, agreed (nothing interesting, but smartly written). There were so many other factors that made it very bad IMO.  My argument for the scores they received is how talented the corps was, outside of percussion. 

I'm not sure how this season will go, there a lot of things I really like about their show. The members are struggling though no doubt. I guess the point was that maybe we should hit the breaks on freak out mode. I think there is a real possibility we see good things start happening. 

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

Just now, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

jamey thompson wrote good drill for that show, agreed (nothing interesting, but smartly written). There were so many other factors that made it very bad IMO.  My argument for the scores they received is how talented the corps was, outside of percussion. 

That played a part in it too. Another factor is the 2013 show was a 2013 show. The 2017 show is, in my opinion,not a 2017 show. I am hoping I will like it by the end of the year, because I always enjoy Regiment. I will say, the last time I saw them at Stanford (2015) they were a whole lot better than they were last night.

It's almost become a perennial DCP tradition to declare that all is lost for Regiment in the first week of competition (sometimes before). They'll be fine.

• Like 5

Just now, year1buick said:

It's almost become a perennial DCP tradition to declare that all is lost for Regiment in the first week of competition (sometimes before). They'll be fine.

Five minutes ago I was going to post a reply like "it's still early gang, no need to panic, PR still has a lot of time to pass corps just in front of them", but decided not too.  After your post, I said what the helll.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

We must have seen two different early season shows. Crown was not todays crown (although they were on an ascent) so you can't really compare. They (phantom) placed relatively well early on (VERY well if you're going by their standards today) because their brass and percussion were incredibly strong. The visual design was embarrassingly terrible which is why most of it was re-written and the guard was mostly re-staged throughout the season. Not to mention those awkward awkward pauses.  Glad they figured it out well enough! Still not my idea of a great visual program, but it worked just well enough to make it one of my favorite shows at the end. 

Well, to be fair, Crown finished 4th with a 96.8 that year - a score nearly high enough to win in other years. So, they were definitely a top tier corps in 2008. Yes, they really made 2008 into something special by the end of the season, but the potential was there from the beginning.

I hope things turn out well for Regiment this year.

Edited by henry7184