Phantom Regiment 2017

I fully support Mike D’s call for Janacek’s Sinfonietta but wouldn’t mind some Carl Nielsen, perhaps Aladdin Suite or bits of his Rhapsody Overtures and if they must go pretty again, Schubert 5th, 1st movement

I'd like something a bit darker, more aggressive. Work an aesthetic, not a story

They were more modern this year in visual and electronics while they got some of their brass sound back, it felt like a turn around even if they placed lower

we'll see

• Like 1

So, here's an interesting observation. What if Regiment had done the Cadets show from this season? I mean the whole thing. I enjoyed Cadets musically and thought they did some great visuals. Yes, I know regiment already played Pines of Rome, but if they had done it the way Cadets did this year would they;

1. have placed in the top 6?

2. alienated phans?

3. gotten the same credit Cadets did?

So, here's an interesting observation. What if Regiment had done the Cadets show from this season? I mean the whole thing. I enjoyed Cadets musically and thought they did some great visuals. Yes, I know regiment already played Pines of Rome, but if they had done it the way Cadets did this year would they;

1. have placed in the top 6?

2. alienated phans?

3. gotten the same credit Cadets did?

I think I would've enjoyed it musically (as long as Will Pitts did the arrangements, not Jay. I'm not a huge fan of Jay's arrangements, though he has hit a good number of home runs) but would still be weirded out with the overall concept of the show. Not sure I would want Phantom to take that type of conceptual direction.

Why not do all of Harmonium now?

This might be the craziest thing I've ever seen on this forum.

Just a stylistic preference, no offense to Jay at all! I know it's an unpopular opinion. I also don't think Jay's arrangement would translate well to Phantom's bottom heavy sound.

The video posted by Cappybara is one of many traditions of the Regiment.

As I understand it, the musicians are all brass line age-outs for that particular year.

The song for semifinal wakeups might be different each year ( in 2015 it was Amazing Grace ) but for each final's wakeup it is Elsa's Procession.

How would you like to wakeup to this each morning?. I would.

Edited by 1956OPR
  • Like 2