Phantom Regiment 2017

Its interesting how 2010 is growing in popularity as the years pass. At the time it had its devoted fans but in general, received a , lukewarm reception, took a long time for Elsas to catch on too

I remember not getting to see their 2010 show until Finals, as it was rained out in a horrible deluge in Minneapolis. I was blown away by that show at Finals.

(IMO) It doesn't matter what music they play, if you can't design a top 6 show then it won't matter. Coming out with a powerful music choice will at least make their placement palatable.

I think Phantom is in a good position. Horns, percussion and guard are quite good. If visual improves they will be in a good position to challenge for a top 6 placement. Edited by Fish
  • Like 3

(IMO) It doesn't matter what music they play, if you can't design a top 6 show then it won't matter. Coming out with a powerful music choice will at least make their placement palatable.

This. It's so much more than just music now, it's the complete package, and there's only a handful of designers who can develop that whole piece effectively.

• Like 1

I remember not getting to see their 2010 show until Finals, as it was rained out in a horrible deluge in Minneapolis. I was blown away by that show at Finals.

I have always loved that show. Easily one of my favorites from them in the past decade. Gorgeous and haunting music and the theme was very moving and beautifully portrayed.

• Like 2

I think Phantom is in a good position. Horns, percussion and guard are quite good. If visual improves they will be in a good position to challenge for a top 6 placement.

I agree, except I'd say that, in addition to visual, coordination/concept needs to improve. The concept of the show, including musical selections, started off on the wrong foot (pun intended). Otherwise, I think this is a solid performing corps in all areas.

I agree, except I'd say that, in addition to visual, coordination/concept needs to improve. The concept of the show, including musical selections, started off on the wrong foot (pun intended). Otherwise, I think this is a solid performing corps in all areas.

I agree with you on that.

I think this past season is a good example of when a show concept can be "too" vague. It seemed like there were a lot of people trying to interpret the show all season.

As for musical selections, when I listened to the Marching Roundtable podcast with Will Pitts, I was left with the impression that a lot of his musical suggestions were what they played. Is that not under the role of Jeremy EarnHart?

Edited by Fish

I agree with you on that.

I think this past season is a good example of when a show concept can be "too" vague. It seemed like there were a lot of people trying to interpret the show all season.

As for musical selections, when I listened to the Marching Roundtable podcast with Will Pitts, I was left with the impression that a lot of his musical suggestions were what they played. Is that not under the role of Jeremy EarnHart?

Frankly, I've not been impressed with the musical coordination since Jeremy Earnhart joined. I gathered from the podcast that Will Pitts suggested the two ballads, which individually would've been fine (but together was a bit much).

I don't know how the Regiment works, but I've heard a couple rough cuts of stuff Jon Vanderkolff put together for a high school prior to someone else arranging, and it was fantastic. Maybe that's the role that Earnhart plays - not sure.

So looking at this past season does anyone know if the egg came before the chicken or the other way around? Seems to me the show concept should come first. Then the music. This also seems like a no brainer to me.

A different show title was floating around on the internet (maybe Reddit) a couple months before the season started - Walk Through the Fire, or something like that. That title could've been completely bogus, or it could be that the designers were still deciding on the show title near to the start of the season. And they didn't announce the title until late May or early June. I assume the concept was the same regardless of the show title.

And for what it's worth, I don't mind a show title or concept that's vague. Plenty of Regiment shows have had vague themes (primarily driven by music or visual theme): Songs for a Summer Night, Adventures Under a Darkened Sky (dark unis, and a TREMENDOUS title), Defiant Heart (lack of color), Virtuoso, etc. And even this year, the Bluecoats "Downside Up" theme really meant nothing, and frankly didn't even relate to anything they were doing.