What are you looking forward to this summer? Go

On 3/31/2017 at 0:15 AM, DrumManTx said:

Well what I've heard, been told, and has been announced (or hasn't)...it seems like it's going to be a particularly fantastic summer for musical selections and just fun shows top to bottom.  

Looking forward to seeing what the slew of new and revived corps in Open Class can do.  Columbians and The Battalion particularly have my interest piqued as future stars.  Southwind is coming back to championships for the first time in a decade!  River City Rhythm is a new corps I've really enjoyed.  Shadow was fun last year.  Guardians and Louisiana Stars are tearing it up for new corps.  Raiders had new life last year, fantastic little corps.  Music City and 7th Regiment always put on shows I enjoy, the former really blossoming musically as of late.  Spartans are always fun.  Legends get my most improved award for the last two years, they're exploding and that show last year was an absolute blast.  Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B seem to be pushing eachother every year, the latter putting on what I think might be my favorite Open Class show of all time last year. And then there's our guests from England!  Super excited to see how The Company does.  Their production design every year is fantastic.  

In World Class Pioneer has had two great shows the last two years, despite their placements and scores I think they're on an upswing.  Seattle Cascades have been an absolute delight the last three seasons, can't wait to see them.  I thought Pacific Crest was great last year, excited to see them again.  We've got a new World Class corps in Genesis, and their announced show seems like it's going to be an absolute treat to listen to.  Oregon Crusaders once again are pegged as a show I can't wait to hear, I love Enigma Variations and mixed with some other completely odd ball stuff I can't wait.  Mandarins announced show is just a downright cool theme.  Colts and Troopers are always fun to watch.  Madison Scouts always seem to bounce back into finals after missing.  Boston Crusaders have all their changes so who knows what to expect there.  The Academy was an absolute pleasure last year, I hope they started a new chapter of finalist status.  Crossmen are coming off their best finish in well over a decade.  Blue Stars have slowly but surely been making progress and I loved the show last year, and what little I've heard of this years seems fantastic.  Phantom Regiment brought on Wes Cartright, who knows what he's gonna bring with him.  Blue Knights have all the ingredients for greatness, just putting the right show together away from exploding.  The Cadets are completely revamped staff wise, and with rumors of Bernstein it's a match made in heaven.  The Cavaliers were a fan favorite and had their best show in 5 years last year, and kept the staff together.  Morale seems really strong and that can be as important as the show you pick some times.  Santa Clara Vanguard like Blue Knights has all the right things there for a fantastic show and they're celebrating a  huge anniversary for an organization.  Carolina Crown had a bunch of staff changes, something fresh perhaps?  Blue Devils are always the Blue Devils, coming off a loss they're always on fire and paired with an Anniversary?  Watch out.  And then Bluecoats coming off their first win.  They've been my favorite corps for awhile now.   Who knows what to expect there.  

Got my tickets to San Antonio today and I'm looking at Broken Arrow/and or Denton/Belton as well.  

Lots lots lots to be excited about top to bottom!  Gonna experience as many shows as I can...

You know I have been reading DCP for a long time. 

Your post made me smile. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chris7997 said:

Taking someone who has never been to drum corps to a competition and watch the look on their face when they realize what they've been missing. 

Good idea. I'm taking parents to the Tour Premier in Indy. They've heard about drum corps since my band years in the 1970s but have never seen a drum corps perform. Hoping for something special from those great corps appearing on June 22.

Plus, and of course, Harry & Izzy's for dinner.

11 hours ago, corpsband said:

He's like a dope dealer handing out candy.   All that sweetness and then he's got you hooked.  Be careful! :ninja:

Is that really how I come off on here?

Now you had two choices,  this or what you are looking forward to. You chose this. Yep, I am a Madison Scouts band geek. A dinosaur as I have been called, bla bla bla. You can't talk about the Madison Scouts 24/7 on here- it would get stale. I look at the big picture. 

The whole experience of Drum Corps is the show imo.

So, I am looking forward to The 2017 Madison Scouts,  da.

April 22 Rockin for a Cure in Madison WI,  with the Jim Ott Brass Ensemble Thirdcoast - Whitewater taking the intermission to another level,   Drums on Parade in Madison playing the Alumni tailgate, Soundsport 2017. Thirdcoast baby! 

I am sooooooooo looking forward to the start of the next evolution of The Madison Scouts Alumni Corps which we are doing a night parade at Mardi Gras 2018. Alex's Rag Time Band

Swing!

I look forward to the crowd's, the shows, the scores! 

Anticipation 

On 3/28/2017 at 10:52 AM, PopcornEater1963 said:

1. My son's first year in DCI, marching with the Cavaliers. 
2. Two shows this summer that are within 5 miles of my house, with Cavaliers marching in both of them! A hand-delivered bonus thanks to the DCI South move this year. 
3. Keeping tabs on Atlanta CV in their 20th Anniversary Season in DCA. My son marched the last two years with them ( Euphonium soloist last year)  and that crew is now like family to us! 
4. Opening night in the theater. 
5. My first trip to Lucas Oil Stadium to see Semifinals and Finals. 
6. Hopefully a week-long stint on the road with Cavies as a volunteer with my wife. We're trying to work that out now. 
7. Taking our kid off the field in Indy and getting him straight to Jacksonville State University where he's starting his freshman year, and will be a few days late for Freshman Band Camp. 
8. Relaxing when it's all over. 

BOOM 

On 3/28/2017 at 10:52 AM, PopcornEater1963 said:

1. My son's first year in DCI, marching with the Cavaliers. 
2. Two shows this summer that are within 5 miles of my house, with Cavaliers marching in both of them! A hand-delivered bonus thanks to the DCI South move this year. 
3. Keeping tabs on Atlanta CV in their 20th Anniversary Season in DCA. My son marched the last two years with them ( Euphonium soloist last year)  and that crew is now like family to us! 
4. Opening night in the theater. 
5. My first trip to Lucas Oil Stadium to see Semifinals and Finals. 
6. Hopefully a week-long stint on the road with Cavies as a volunteer with my wife. We're trying to work that out now. 
7. Taking our kid off the field in Indy and getting him straight to Jacksonville State University where he's starting his freshman year, and will be a few days late for Freshman Band Camp. 
8. Relaxing when it's all over. 

Love this post. Congrats on your son making it into The Cavaliers!  It's the best organization in DCI (okay.. I'm biased.. but it's true). Just want to throw out a couple bits of advice for volunteering. Most important.. please do it!  My mom (bless her heart) took a week off every summer I marched to volunteer.  Ten times out of ten, unless you know your way around a sewing machine, you are going to work on the cook truck. (Disclaimer: all the volunteer jobs are difficult. I'm only speaking of what I have experience with).  When I was a member I never truly appreciated how hard the kitchen crew worked until I volunteered myself for a couple years after I aged out.  You feed around 180 people, four times a day,  It gets really hot.  And cramped.  People get on each other's nerves. The majority of your sleep will be on a bus. You live out of a suitcase.  You shower in high school locker rooms, most of which have had their water heaters turned off for summer vacation.  After a few days you can't wait to get back home to your normal life, but once you're back normal life seems pretty dull.  In essence, it's kind of a microcosm of the drum corps experience (without the practice lol), and it helped my mom understand what I was going through. And even though I barely got to spend time with her when she was on the road with us that one week every summer to me was really special.   

• Like 3