What are you looking forward to this summer? Go

Things on my list...

1... I am interested to see where The Company stacks up against DCI competition. As a member of Kidsgrove Scouts (a corps that is perennially battling it out with CO), it will be interesting to see how the European activity compares to the American corps and see just how competitive DCUK and DCE actually is.

2... Will this be the year that Santa Clara makes the jump back into being a contender? This corps has too long of a history and too many titles to be perpetually in 4th to 7th place. Also, Blue Knights... I think they have been knocking on the G7 door for some time now.

3... Visual identity. Will corps follow Bluecoats lead and switch to more WGI type uniforms as a whole? I can see certain corps do it (the likes of OC, Colts, Blue Stars and some OPen Class groups) but will corps such as BD, Santa Clara, Cadets, Phantom et al dare to break away as Blooo did last year?

4... Instrumentation. What new voices are we likely to hear (outside of electronics)? Coronets, British brass band style tenor horns etc...

5... What will the effect be on the Cadets and Boston with regards to the mass exodus up I-95 from Allentown be? Will Boston suddenly make a jump or is it too early and much ado about nothing. Is it the faculty or the system that makes Cadets so successful? Consequently... Crown. What will the effect be on them losing so many visual staff members be?

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Cainan said:

1... I am interested to see where The Company stacks up against DCI competition. As a member of Kidsgrove Scouts (a corps that is perennially battling it out with CO), it will be interesting to see how the European activity compares to the American corps and see just how competitive DCUK and DCE actually is.

5...  Will Boston suddenly make a jump or is it too early and much ado about nothing.  

1.  Here is what Jubal did during their DCI tour in 2015.    http://www.fromthepressbox.com/2015augustdcirecaps.htm

Here's how they did against Company and K. Scouts also in 2015.  http://drumcorpseurope.org/scores.php?season=2015

5. A climb of two spots would be nice, but recently 9th -13th has been very tight.  Early July will provide a better idea.

1.  Seeing Boston, how they come out?  What their style will be.

2.  If Crown and Cadets can compete in the top tier with staff changes they've experienced.

3.  How Bluecoats follow up last year.

4.  If SCV and Cavaliers can continue their comebacks.

Edited by cadet93

' Looking forward to some of the following this summer in DCI Drum Corps ( no particular order );

......... the return of show recaps. 'Glad to learn that DCI tried this one year experiment, evaluated it, then did an about face and scrapped their policy of not releasing show recaps to the public.

......... As several other DCP'ers have already stated, looking forward to see what effects the staff transfers among the various Corps have had in the show designs and the placement standings... just as much now as annually looking forward to assessing the transfers of marchers among the Corps to see what effect these marcher transfers have had on the show designs and the placement standings every season.

......... to see if the Bluecoats can repeat a DCI Title win the following season. Only a very few Corps, not named the Blue Devils, are able to successfully defend their DCI Title the following season after their  DCI win.

........ Academy. Can they " pull a rabbit " out of a hat and retain their hard fought efforts to secure TOP 12 DCI status, perform on Sat. Nite at Championships ( and retain the DVD status ).

....... Madison Scouts. Very much looking forward to see what they have in store this season. The Scouts have never had back to back seasons of not being in TOP 12 status. This is a critically important season for this DCI iconic Drum Corps, imo. We are hearing great things out of their camp reports this season. Can the hype match the results. This Scouts fan hopes so.

........ SCV. The Vanguard have been stuck right outside the medal round in DCI now for like forever. Have they settled in to this forever, or do they have it in them to get back to Championship form. Its been a long time for SCV to not be in a title hunt, despite the enjoyment their shows bring most seasons to many fans. Congrats to SCV alums, fans, marchers on their Anniv. year.. and wow, what a great job you did in the Rose Bowl Parade!

......... Cavaliers... they lost a lot when they lost Michael Gaines. But they have rebounded nicely of late, and they have been on an upward placement trajectory the last couple of seasons. Looking forward to see if they can follow up last season's interesting show with another one... and see if they can continue their climb back up the placements ladder.

........ BK had a Corps Director ( Arnold ) that reportedly was livid last season that his staff did not have his Corps ready for competition show design wise for the early season shows. What added to his frustration was that this was not the first time BK found itself way behind the other Corps in early shows. Has BK learned its hard lesson ?

........ Costumes.... at one time it was unthinkable to refer to Drum Corps attire as " costumes ". But times change, and the term no longer brings snickers, and its no longer considered a pejorative term. I look forward to seeing what costumes the Corps will be wearing this summer. Reports are that lots of Corps will be wearing new costumes this summer, and I'm interested in seeing what they look like.

...... Genesis. They become the first start up World Class Division Drum Corps from the state of Texas in DCI history. its about time that DCI finally got a start up Corps developed in Texas that could attain World Class Division status. The principal reason given to us for DCI to have so many shows in Texas over the last decade was to see start up Corps like Genesis develop into World Class Division status from the state of Texas.

...... Battalion. Its going to be a bit odd, but a good thing, imo, to look forward to seeing this Corps in the former Boston Crusaders uniforms.

........ Blue Stars, Crossmen.... I'm hearing a much more demanding show from both these 2  Corps this season. Looking forward to seeing them. Both have solidified their positions of late as solid TOP 12 Status Corps.

....... Colts.. Howard Weinstein does wonders with Corps that look to improve their fortunes. I'm looking forward to what he can do with the Colts this summer.

....... Troopers... This iconic DCI Corps has lots and lots of fans across America pulling for them to do well. They are rarely boring for most fans, most seasons. So I'm always looking forward to seeing the Troopers every season, this one included.

...... Phantom Regiment... some staff changes here as well. Phantom Regiment probably has had more musical songs on my go to list over the years than any other DCI Corps. This Corps has a lot going for it. I want them to survive and prosper in DCI for the next 50 years. So I'm looking forward to see if they can dazzle me once again as they have before, in season's past.

...... Blue Devils. I am looking forward to see by how much they win their 2017 TItle by. Will it be tenths, or a blow out ( lol!)

...... Corps in 15th and below.. including Open Class...... I ALWAYS find shows from this grouping every season that I enjoy as much, if not more so, than some of the upper elite DCI Corps shows. I am looking forward to this annual trend happening once again this season from a few of these Corps shows at this level.

.......' Looking forward to watching the shows on my TV hook up, attending a few shows, volunteering once again, and meeting up with friends, alums at the tailgates of the shows, and shooting the breeze and once again having fun at these tailgates.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

On 4/2/2017 at 11:00 AM, tommynev said:

Love this post. Congrats on your son making it into The Cavaliers!  It's the best organization in DCI (okay.. I'm biased.. but it's true). Just want to throw out a couple bits of advice for volunteering. Most important.. please do it!  My mom (bless her heart) took a week off every summer I marched to volunteer.  Ten times out of ten, unless you know your way around a sewing machine, you are going to work on the cook truck. (Disclaimer: all the volunteer jobs are difficult. I'm only speaking of what I have experience with).  When I was a member I never truly appreciated how hard the kitchen crew worked until I volunteered myself for a couple years after I aged out.  You feed around 180 people, four times a day,  It gets really hot.  And cramped.  People get on each other's nerves. The majority of your sleep will be on a bus. You live out of a suitcase.  You shower in high school locker rooms, most of which have had their water heaters turned off for summer vacation.  After a few days you can't wait to get back home to your normal life, but once you're back normal life seems pretty dull.  In essence, it's kind of a microcosm of the drum corps experience (without the practice lol), and it helped my mom understand what I was going through. And even though I barely got to spend time with her when she was on the road with us that one week every summer to me was really special.   

My wife is a seamstress, and spent this entire last fall taking care of a 180-member marching band's uniforms ( with a team of Moms of course) so she might escape the food truck. I, on the other hand, would more than likely end up there myself.  :-) 

• Like 2

I'm also looking forward to going to a show with some friends.   Outside one meetup last year and going to a show with some people who decided it'd be fun to trash pretty much everyone outside the corps they were an alum of I've been kind of a loner as a fan where I am located.  I've gotten lots of flack for how much I follow the activity (which doesn't bother me at all) and trying to get people to go with me is an absolute pain.  Will be nice to go experience it with some kindred spirits.   

• Like 2

What do I look forward to? Watching my daughter and her friends soak up the Allentown DCI experience. It makes me shiver to think what effect this activity has on young folks. High school marching band gets them started (and they did pretty good last year at MetLife) and DCI just brings it all to another level. Not a lot of them can pull off a DCI Corps summer, but there are a couple with contracts this year. (Note: none of them will give me ANY Cadets info:sneaky:.) 

Kudos and admiration to anyone who gets to experience the MM life. It's wonderful how these kids grow and develop their skills...not just musical and physical ones but the mental and emotional ones as well. For the next five years, my high school kids will keep me in the Pit Crew, pulling speakers, fixing props and giving/getting high fives from them and their fellow band members, no matter how well they do at a given show. And nowhere have I heard more "thank yous" than at the end of the night, when they get off the bus to see that the Pit guys have already gotten the drums out of the trailer and put them away for them.  Makes me realize that maybe, just maybe, these youngsters are gonna be pretty good grownups. 

My $0.02

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kkpjm16 said:

What do I look forward to? Watching my daughter and her friends soak up the Allentown DCI experience. It makes me shiver to think what effect this activity has on young folks. High school marching band gets them started (and they did pretty good last year at MetLife) and DCI just brings it all to another level. Not a lot of them can pull off a DCI Corps summer, but there are a couple with contracts this year. (Note: none of them will give me ANY Cadets info:sneaky:.) 

Kudos and admiration to anyone who gets to experience the MM life. It's wonderful how these kids grow and develop their skills...not just musical and physical ones but the mental and emotional ones as well. For the next five years, my high school kids will keep me in the Pit Crew, pulling speakers, fixing props and giving/getting high fives from them and their fellow band members, no matter how well they do at a given show. And nowhere have I heard more "thank yous" than at the end of the night, when they get off the bus to see that the Pit guys have already gotten the drums out of the trailer and put them away for them.  Makes me realize that maybe, just maybe, these youngsters are gonna be pretty good grownups. 

My $0.02

The kids that do Drum Corps are pretty special in every way, imo.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2017 at 4:34 PM, BRASSO said:

' Looking forward to some of the following this summer in DCI Drum Corps ( no particular order );

......... the return of show recaps. 'Glad to learn that DCI tried this one year experiment, evaluated it, then did an about face and scrapped their policy of not releasing show recaps to the public.

......... As several other DCP'ers have already stated, looking forward to see what effects the staff transfers among the various Corps have had in the show designs and the placement standings... just as much now as annually looking forward to assessing the transfers of marchers among the Corps to see what effect these marcher transfers have had on the show designs and the placement standings every season.

......... to see if the Bluecoats can repeat a DCI Title win the following season. Only a very few Corps, not named the Blue Devils, are able to successfully defend their DCI Title the following season after their  DCI win.

........ Academy. Can they " pull a rabbit " out of a hat and retain their hard fought efforts to secure TOP 12 DCI status, perform on Sat. Nite at Championships ( and retain the DVD status ).

....... Madison Scouts. Very much looking forward to see what they have in store this season. The Scouts have never had back to back seasons of not being in TOP 12 status. This is a critically important season for this DCI iconic Drum Corps, imo. We are hearing great things out of their camp reports this season. Can the hype match the results. This Scouts fan hopes so.

........ SCV. The Vanguard have been stuck right outside the medal round in DCI now for like forever. Have they settled in to this forever, or do they have it in them to get back to Championship form. Its been a long time for SCV to not be in a title hunt, despite the enjoyment their shows bring most seasons to many fans. Congrats to SCV alums, fans, marchers on their Anniv. year.. and wow, what a great job you did in the Rose Bowl Parade!

......... Cavaliers... they lost a lot when they lost Michael Gaines. But they have rebounded nicely of late, and they have been on an upward placement trajectory the last couple of seasons. Looking forward to see if they can follow up last season's interesting show with another one... and see if they can continue their climb back up the placements ladder.

........ BK had a Corps Director ( Arnold ) that reportedly was livid last season that his staff did not have his Corps ready for competition show design wise for the early season shows. What added to his frustration was that this was not the first time BK found itself way behind the other Corps in early shows. Has BK learned its hard lesson ?

........ Costumes.... at one time it was unthinkable to refer to Drum Corps attire as " costumes ". But times change, and the term no longer brings snickers, and its no longer considered a pejorative term. I look forward to seeing what costumes the Corps will be wearing this summer. Reports are that lots of Corps will be wearing new costumes this summer, and I'm interested in seeing what they look like.

...... Genesis. They become the first start up World Class Division Drum Corps from the state of Texas in DCI history. its about time that DCI finally got a start up Corps developed in Texas that could attain World Class Division status. The principal reason given to us for DCI to have so many shows in Texas over the last decade was to see start up Corps like Genesis develop into World Class Division status from the state of Texas.

...... Battalion. Its going to be a bit odd, but a good thing, imo, to look forward to seeing this Corps in the former Boston Crusaders uniforms.

........ Blue Stars, Crossmen.... I'm hearing a much more demanding show from both these 2  Corps this season. Looking forward to seeing them. Both have solidified their positions of late as solid TOP 12 Status Corps.

....... Colts.. Howard Weinstein does wonders with Corps that look to improve their fortunes. I'm looking forward to what he can do with the Colts this summer.

....... Troopers... This iconic DCI Corps has lots and lots of fans across America pulling for them to do well. They are rarely boring for most fans, most seasons. So I'm always looking forward to seeing the Troopers every season, this one included.

...... Phantom Regiment... some staff changes here as well. Phantom Regiment probably has had more musical songs on my go to list over the years than any other DCI Corps. This Corps has a lot going for it. I want them to survive and prosper in DCI for the next 50 years. So I'm looking forward to see if they can dazzle me once again as they have before, in season's past.

...... Blue Devils. I am looking forward to see by how much they win their 2017 TItle by. Will it be tenths, or a blow out ( lol!)

...... Corps in 15th and below.. including Open Class...... I ALWAYS find shows from this grouping every season that I enjoy as much, if not more so, than some of the upper elite DCI Corps shows. I am looking forward to this annual trend happening once again this season from a few of these Corps shows at this level.

.......' Looking forward to watching the shows on my TV hook up, attending a few shows, volunteering once again, and meeting up with friends, alums at the tailgates of the shows, and shooting the breeze and once again having fun at these tailgates.

The real question as only time will tell is..... IS! Just HOW  M A N Y   RABBITS will THE ACADEMY pull out of the hat....stay tuned. : - )

• Like 1