Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

Just watched a youtube video of the 1963 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, one of my favorite corps when I was in drum corp.  Our corps would make an outing to watch the Dream every year in the mid sixties.  My favorites were BSGK, Princemen, and the Skyliners.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'd pay to see corps like that again, and would even go to a DCI show today, even if you paid me.  I loved the precision, and the sound of the old time corps, and can't stand the xylophones and M&M of todays corps.  It's just my opinion.  What's yours? 

Edited by Grenadier
  • Like 1

1963 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights:

The top junior corps of that season, far and away the "Best of the Best", and their main East Coast competion, St Kevins Emerald Knights, Garfield Cadets and Boston Crusaders were no slouches.  Won almost all their contests, against the top of the card junior units, and came away with the American Legion, National Dream, and the first World Open Championship titles.

Great memories.

Elphaba    :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

BSGK was a great corps, for sure.

I really like their 1970 show. Their drum line that year... basically a clinic in rudimental percussion. Outstanding. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:25 PM, elphaba01 said:

1963 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights:

The top junior corps of that season, far and away the "Best of the Best", and their main East Coast competion, St Kevins Emerald Knights, Garfield Cadets and Boston Crusaders were no slouches.  Won almost all their contests, against the top of the card junior units, and came away with the American Legion, National Dream, and the first World Open Championship titles.

Great memories.

Elphaba    :flower:

I remember when coming within 9 points of BS was a moral victory in 63 for my little corps ... they really were the Golden Robots that year ... too bad they and Chicago never hooked up that year at Nats ... I believe it was the only year in the 60's that they did not go head-to-head ...

:-)

3 hours ago, ajlisko said:

I remember when coming within 9 points of BS was a moral victory in 63 for my little corps ... they really were the Golden Robots that year ... too bad they and Chicago never hooked up that year at Nats ... I believe it was the only year in the 60's that they did not go head-to-head ...

"Closing the Spread":

Actually, you guys did a lot better than "Nine Points".  

CorpsReps has you at:

1.  86.381  St Kevins Emerald Knights                                                                                                                                                          2. 82. 626  Blessed Sacrament                                                                                                                                                                    3. 76.583   St Raphaels Buccaneers                                                                                                                                                            3. 76.583   St Patricks Cadets                                                                                                                                                                      5. 74.916    Audubon Bon Bons                                                                                                                                                                  6. 74.196   Skokie Vanguards

If my memory serves me half way correctly, Blessed Sacrament had a four point flag violation penalty which resulted in the spread and the loss.  I also recollect that the instructors from the Garfield Cadets were a big chunk of the judging panel.

My Dad took us to that contest to see the Skokie Vanguards who were just staring to use Hy Drietzer's music.

Belated congrats on closing the "Spread".

Elphaba     :flower:

3 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Closing the Spread":

Actually, you guys did a lot better than "Nine Points".  

CorpsReps has you at:

1.  86.381  St Kevins Emerald Knights                                                                                                                                                          2. 82. 626  Blessed Sacrament                                                                                                                                                                    3. 76.583   St Raphaels Buccaneers                                                                                                                                                            3. 76.583   St Patricks Cadets                                                                                                                                                                      5. 74.916    Audubon Bon Bons                                                                                                                                                                  6. 74.196   Skokie Vanguards

If my memory serves me half way correctly, Blessed Sacrament had a four point flag violation penalty which resulted in the spread and the loss.  I also recollect that the instructors from the Garfield Cadets were a big chunk of the judging panel.

My Dad took us to that contest to see the Skokie Vanguards who were just staring to use Hy Drietzer's music.

Belated congrats on closing the "Spread".

Elphaba     :flower:

According to their website, Hy didn't arrive in Skokie until 64 (Luck Be a Lady Tonight) ... everyone looked on with great anticipation as the Vanguard's busses pulled up ... but, they looked quite young and were weary of the trip in from the Midwest ... and ... without the penalty, Sac beat us by 10+ ... so ... no cigar that night ... and ... Garfield and Hawthorne always stacked their shows with judges who were former members ... just the way things were ...

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 3:34 PM, ajlisko said:

According to their website, Hy didn't arrive in Skokie until 64 (Luck Be a Lady Tonight) ... everyone looked on with great anticipation as the Vanguard's busses pulled up ... but, they looked quite young and were weary of the trip in from the Midwest ... and ... without the penalty, Sac beat us by 10+ ... so ... no cigar that night ... and ... Garfield and Hawthorne always stacked their shows with judges who were former members ... just the way things were ...

Hy arranged "Luck be a lady" and "Bill Bailey" for us in 1964. He continued writing and teaching for the corps into the1969 season.

I was in the Vanguard in 1963. We were relatively young, and we were exhausted when we arrived for the show. (No excuses offered.) It was not our best effort of that season. A majority of those young Vanguards were still with them into the late 1960s.

5 hours ago, old vanguard said:

Hy arranged "Luck be a lady" and "Bill Bailey" for us in 1964. He continued writing and teaching for the corps into the1969 season.

I was in the Vanguard in 1963. We were relatively young, and we were exhausted when we arrived for the show. (No excuses offered.) It was not our best effort of that season. A majority of those young Vanguards were still with them into the late 1960s.

It was amazing how uniquely distinctive Hy's arrangements of Aquarius were for Sky and you in 69 ... Same original score as a base yet totally different in feel while playing to the strengths of each hornline ... an amazing feat by an amazing arranger 

• Like 1

In 1965, Dreitzer arranged "When the Saints go Marchin' in" for the Vanguard. Then in 1969 the Skyliners played a terrific, but decidedly different rendition. Hy was one of a kind. Creative/innovative.