What Year or Corps Changed Drum Corps?

On 4/20/2017 at 6:52 PM, Fran Haring said:

All of the above!!! And I'll add these....

1969 Yankee Rebels and their "Requiem for an Era" color presentation production.  First use of a "split corps" and multiple tempos within one production.  Changed what was possible, from a music and visual standpoint. A template for SCV's "Young Person's Guide" several years later.

1969 Boston Crusaders and Long Island Sunrisers... bringing mallet instruments to the field. (One could also point to Preston Scout House and their use of glockenspiels, years before 1969.)

The advent of the "pit"... the front ensemble. Marching percussion has never been the same since.  (It's better now, IMO. Feel free to disagree. LOL)

Not sure about the "mallet instruments " to the field in '69 as a "watershed" year.  I think that besides Preston Scout House before '69, that Madison Scouts also used glocks in early '60s and late '50s, as many other corps, certainly here in Quebec.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:52 PM, Fran Haring said:

1969 Yankee Rebels and their "Requiem for an Era" color presentation production.  First use of a "split corps" and multiple tempos within one production.  Changed what was possible, from a music and visual standpoint. A template for SCV's "Young Person's Guide" several years later.

1969 Boston Crusaders and Long Island Sunrisers... bringing mallet instruments to the field. (One could also point to Preston Scout House and their use of glockenspiels, years before 1969.)

The advent of the "pit"... the front ensemble. Marching percussion has never been the same since.  (It's better now, IMO. Feel free to disagree. LOL)

I would suggest that, by definition, the pit is not marching percussion.

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would suggest that, by definition, the pit is not marching percussion.

Sure... but it's within the realm of marching-music percussion, as opposed to, say, concert-hall percussion. Or "drum kit at your local jazz club" percussion.  :tongue:

On 4/20/2017 at 5:52 PM, Fran Haring said:

The Madison Scouts used glockenspeils in the 1950s. The Quincy, IL Debutantes used a gong and a glock 1958 ('59?).

So many changes over so many years... the Trooper's touring model; melodic percussion, poly-rhythmic shows, curve-linear drill, dance, costumes, props, amplification, ...Vietnam, cost of living, social media, VFW, Am. Leg., DCI, DCA...so many changes...each causing a ripple in the pond of drum corps.

1982 Season. Garfield Cadets. I was visiting my cousin in Allendale, NJ and went down to watch George Zingali teach the whole corps the drill to Rocky Point Holiday in about 2 hours,Amazing teacher and still have not seen as good a drill writer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

1982 Blue Devils - colorguard wore spandex uniforms, incorporated more dance and used wings and feathers

1983 Garfield Cadets - entire production of Mass/Rocky Point Holiday redifined what a drum corps show could be; while other corps were still performing 'variety' shows, Cadets created a show that was one unified concept.  Also, all the elements (brass, percussion, guard) were incoprated into the drill design (not seperate entities) - especially how the percussion was integrated & marched (I think they invented the 'crab' marching style that year?)

2005/2011 Cadets - The Zone and Angels & Demons brought new 'theming' idea to the field; drum cops became more of a production/theater-like

2016 Bluecoats - completely did away with drum corps convention in regards to uniforms, staging and presentation.  A game changer!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 1:08 PM, ross6200 said:

1982 Blue Devils - colorguard wore spandex uniforms, incorporated more dance and used wings and feathers

1983 Garfield Cadets - entire production of Mass/Rocky Point Holiday redifined what a drum corps show could be; while other corps were still performing 'variety' shows, Cadets created a show that was one unified concept.  Also, all the elements (brass, percussion, guard) were incoprated into the drill design (not seperate entities) - especially how the percussion was integrated & marched (I think they invented the 'crab' marching style that year?)

2005/2011 Cadets - The Zone and Angels & Demons brought new 'theming' idea to the field; drum cops became more of a production/theater-like

2016 Bluecoats - completely did away with drum corps convention in regards to uniforms, staging and presentation.  A game changer!

Game changer? Or the final nail in the D&BC coffin?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/24/2017 at 4:13 AM, KeithHall said:

Amen Jeff! I think we'll see what happens this year and then we can say whether or not B-coats where a game changer!

It appears it did change the game in 2017.