Pick Any Show Throughout All Time and Eternity That You Wish You Saw Live

I've been lucky enough to personally witness some of the legendary live performances in the history of the DCI era from the mid 70s to now, but the one I'd give anything to have seen live, based on the recording, is '74 Muchachos at Finals.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2017 at 1:47 PM, Liahona said:

My vote is for Madison Scouts 1975...Hello Screamers! Heaven for me and bliss...

I came across 75 Madison on PBS while switching channels and was captivated by their performance as well as Santa Clara who followed.  It was one of my first exposures to DCI.  The first was seeing SCV and the Blue Devils live in 1975 at Pacific Procession.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 6:59 AM, INT72 said:

This is beyond a great call! Jim Ott arrangements before he became THE Jim Ott!!!!! Someone should create a library of Hall of Fame designers formative years. Either as performers or rookie designers. Let us see and learn the lineage of what we do.

The best version of "Fanfare For The New" was the 1979 Guardsmen. GREAT hornline with charts from Tim Salzmen and great drum charts by Jim Campbell.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A2KLfaI3OVZdAAoAMRwPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=1979+guardsmen+drum+corps&type=sbc_dial&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&ei=UTF-8&fr=yhs-att-att_001#id=1&vid=3af79b91fe7b28406d034c21c4a6f848&action=view

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mfrontz said:

I'll go you one better. I've said before that 1995 Cavaliers might well be the best realization of a classical piece ever performed on a football field.

I, too, wish I could have seen it live.

I marched Cavaliers 1995 and this may sound odd but if there's any show I would like to see from the stands it would be that one. I remember our horn sergeant getting injured on a free day mid season. He got to watch us perform a few times and I was so jealous lol.

7 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I remember that show....Loved it! The hornline...the guard..I thought they were going to be the next big thing!

9 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I've been lucky enough to personally witness some of the legendary live performances in the history of the DCI era from the mid 70s to now, but the one I'd give anything to have seen live, based on the recording, is '74 Muchachos at Finals.

THIS is an excellent choice.  I was there, and the ENTIRE night was a slow, intense increase in crowd excitement.  My dad brought his trusty Panasonic tape player/recorder and recorded the entire show live from the stands.  The tapes still play and sound decent for their age and I 100% agree with you about the Muchachos show - even 40+ years later, those tapes trigger a memory response of seeing it live.

s-l400.jpg