Pick Any Show Throughout All Time and Eternity That You Wish You Saw Live

On 4/28/2017 at 3:39 PM, the hammer said:

1978 SCV at Finals. The show that got me hooked on DCI.

1978 Boulder Prelims is the first time many in the drum line actually saw what the overall drill looked like upstairs. Pete Emmons who designed the drill had videotaped the show on high cam and showed it to us before Finals.  He of course was in the broadcast booth for Finals at Mile High Stadium.  Always loved the opener “Overture to a New Era” by Giovannini both in 77 and 78.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 7:55 PM, HouserCD said:

1978 Boulder Prelims is the first time many in the drum line actually saw what the overall drill looked like upstairs. Pete Emmons who designed the drill had videotaped the show on high cam and showed it to us before Finals.  He of course was in the broadcast booth for Finals at Mile High Stadium.  Always loved the opener “Overture to a New Era” by Giovannini both in 77 and 78.

I LOVED the '78 show!  A great combination of nuance and power - I particularly loved the tenor writing (including the soft mallet choice) at the beginning of "If You Believe" and the guard clicking their heels 3 times before the big push.  I also liked this year's version of "Lezghinka" than 79's...

2019 BK (just want to see it live one more time ☹️).

Yes, I’m a homer.

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2017 at 2:56 AM, garfield said:

Gail Royer always said his favorite show was the 1968 Chicago Royalaires.  I could never find either audio or video of that show.

I'd like to see live any show that impressed that arranging wizard from SCV.

Actually Gail said the 1965 Chicago Royal Airs was his favorite performance. He was a brass judge at the VFW Nationals in Chicago in '65. (start at marker 2:07)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see the Cavaliers' original three-peat, 1961-1963, since I have seen the three-peats during the DCI years. I'd probably like for today's Cavaliers to plumb deeper into some of the music from those three championship shows: "Gypsy," "Oliver," "The Desert Song," and "Porgy and Bess," again.

I would also like to see the three-peat that may be in the making. For all of its competitive dominance, the Blue Devils do not -- yet -- have a three-year championship run.

One down ... again.

I wish I could have seen Garfield and SCV back to back at the 1987 DCI Finals.  RE 1978 SCV, this was one of my favorite shows ever.  A few weeks before Finals the 27th Lancers sponsored a show at Lynn’s wonderful Manning Bowl.  Competing corps were Blue Devils (they won), SCV, Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, Bridgemen, and the Lancers.  They were the top 6 from 1977, IIRC.  Had a seat on the 50, and I was blown away by BD and, especially Santa Clara.  Best local show I ever witnessed.  

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 2:09 PM, FlamMan said:

1975 Muchachos.

It was rumored for many years that they beat Madison in prelims. Lots of folks were sworn to secrecy and I have never been able to confirm  this.

We do know they beat SCV in percussion 19.6 to 19.0 per Dennis

On 8/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, Dave Scott said:

Actually Gail said the 1965 Chicago Royal Airs was his favorite performance. He was a brass judge at the VFW Nationals in Chicago in '65. (start at marker 2:07)

Held inside at McCormack Center due to rain. Now that would be in top 5 of my list just for being different. And one of our DCPers was in the crowd IIRC

edit from other thread see 2 other DCPers were there

Edited by JimF-LowBari