Pick Any Show Throughout All Time and Eternity That You Wish You Saw Live

On 8/16/2019 at 4:22 PM, MikeN said:

Was gonna say Madison '95, but I saw on Reddit someone posted a in-stands video of one of their performances that year, and honestly, it turns out the DCI video did a really good job of catching it all.

But it's telling (and fair!) that you felt there were reasons not to trust the official video was giving an accurate impression.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:52 AM, gak27 said:

I LOVED the '78 show!  A great combination of nuance and power - I particularly loved the tenor writing (including the soft mallet choice) at the beginning of "If You Believe" and the guard clicking their heels 3 times before the big push.  I also liked this year's version of "Lezghinka" than 79's...

The 79 version of Lezghinka had a complete stop in the middle followed by an accelerando back to tempo.  One of the reasons Fred put that in on tour was because of a rivalry with Tom Float and Spirit of Atlanta.  They also had an accelerando in their drum solo.  We were also trying to max out the Percussion Analysis score.  

Edited by HouserCD

2 hours ago, HouserCD said:

The 79 version of Lezghinka had a complete stop in the middle followed by an accelerando back to tempo.  One of the reasons Fred put that in on tour was because of a rivalry with Tom Float and Spirit of Atlanta.  They also had an accelerando in their drum solo.  We were also trying to max out the Percussion Analysis score.  

Whenever I think of Fred, I can hear his mouth drumming lingo..."Bidely bidely bop bop   here we go"

• Haha 1

Since Time and Eternity is the time frame, I really wish I had been there to see the Cro-Magnons defeat the Neanderthals.

Up until that point rules only allowed for the use of rocks and bones so the Neanderthals were unbeaten.  A rule change to allow sticks along with the rocks and bones meant that Cro-Magnons gained the advantage and continued to pull ahead of the Neanderthals. 

Their show "Walking Upright" easily beat the Neanderthal's show "Ugh."  

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2017 at 10:44 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Apropos of nothing at all, I checked CorpsReps to see what shows happened on August 9, 1974. That was a Friday. Did anyone here attend either of the following? Corps are ordered by placement. Pretty amusing to see the Bluecoats, way down at 30th place in the lower division of the latter event. To respond to the original post: it would indeed be pretty neat to travel aback in time and see that performance.

World Open Prelims (Lynn, MA)

[...]

U.S. Open Prelims (Marion, OH)

[...]

FYI, according to Corps Reps, it was "Black Watch (NJ)" at both Lynn and Marion, which I doubt was possible.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

45  years ago tomorrow.

(Still waiting for this set-up to pay off with the punchline, more than two years later. Thinking now that it will never happen. Sigh.)

Why not? For reasons that must now remain unexplained, I'll note here that tomorrow, Saturday September 28, 2019, Drum Corps Europe will have its championships. There'll be a free webcast:

https://drumcorpseurope.org/live-webcast/

One of the top corps competing is Kidsgrove Scouts, from England, who have appeared a number of times at the DCA championships and who are coming to DCI next year.

Another leading corps is Jubal, a Dutch corps, who have appeared in DCI on several occasions.

Two years ago, another top European corps, The Company, also from England, appeared in DCI, but that organization has apparently shut down its field corps. That's a shame.

Apropos of nothing at all, I checked CorpsReps to see what shows happened on August 9, 1974. That was a Friday. Did anyone here attend either of the following? Corps are ordered by placement. Pretty amusing to see the Bluecoats, way down at 30th place in the lower division of the latter event. To respond to the original post: it would indeed be pretty neat to travel back in time and see that performance.

I mean, come on! If it's not tomorrow, it's probably never, because I certainly don't think it will keep until next June.

Well, we'll see. Go Kidsgrove!