How would you breathe life into Indy?

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

A related, & I believe bugger issue, is that having finals in the same location every year, combined with regionals always in same location & in same order has put DCI in a rut.  The same sites get a show year after year.  Out west, the season is over by the 2nd week in July.  

Going to new locations will expose more individuals to the activity - and that is good.  Right now, the fan base is mostly high school band kids, parents, and a dwindling base of alumni. What would finals attendance be if you don't count the members of Corps that didn't make finals, and some of their parents?  

I don't think this is sustainable in the long term.

Agreed. In fact, I think DCI should make its schedule so that the regionals would be held in different locations at different parts of the year. Instead of just San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown every single year, it could be Pasadena, Houston, and Minneapolis one year, then Foxboro, Orlando, and Madison the next year, then Denver, Minneapolis, and Buffalo the following year, and so on. DCI could even get the corps involved by having them enter stadium bids for the regionals. It would be a great way to spice up the tour schedule without forcing the Championships out of Indianapolis.

4 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Agreed. In fact, I think DCI should make its schedule so that the regionals would be held in different locations at different parts of the year. Instead of just San Antonio, Atlanta, and Allentown every single year, it could be Pasadena, Houston, and Minneapolis one year, then Foxboro, Orlando, and Madison the next year, then Denver, Minneapolis, and Buffalo the following year, and so on. DCI could even get the corps involved by having them enter stadium bids for the regionals. It would be a great way to spice up the tour schedule without forcing the Championships out of Indianapolis.

DCI and the corps obviously really like the schedule that's been locked down for almost a decade. I can certainly appreciate that it makes it easier to figure things out each year. But it totally sucks for large areas of the country.

I agree that shifting the regionals around - perhaps in cycles of 2 years on the current itinerary + 1 year on a western itinerary - is the best option to try to improve the status quo since we're stuck with Indy. With Atlanta stadium-less, this would have been a good year to try something different.

Sooo.... Indianapolis has bids over the years that have made it financially advantageous to hold Championships at LOS.

Where are all these bids from other cities with stadiums with everything needed to host the event? 

Either those bids don't exist, or they really aren't better that the deal already in place.

2 hours ago, Medeabrass said:

OPEN THE ROOF!!! lol

won't make it better. those large windows on the ends of the stadium will actually make it worse

40 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Exhale... and finally bring it back to Mile High for Finals. For say at least 5 years

That has been one of the best stadiums for Drum Corps.  The acoustics are fantastic, and the home side stands are enormous.  That crowd in Denver was as loud and engaged as any I can remember in a long time - right there with the Pasadena crowd.  And it's not parsed into 6 different small sections like Lucas Oil, where the sense of community in the stand is negatively impacted.  It's one of the reasons I go to DATR almost every year.  Drum Corps in the type of outdoor cathedral it was built for.

• Like 3