How would you breathe life into Indy?

Open the roof on the dome for finals/nighttime performances? That would definitely change stuff up a little. 

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

They call it Indianoplace for a reason. 

Cause there ain't no place like it?

• 4 weeks later...

This may be of interest to those going to Indy for championships and staying at Indy hotels.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/customer-charged-350-after-leaving-negative-review-for-indiana-hotel-lawsuit-alleges/

Last year one Indy Downtown hotel tried slipping in charges for valet parking and car lot overnight charges as seen by me on the exit bill of one of the parties with whom I dined during Finals week. However, the person didn't have a car, so why the charges. It seems that the same time at same hotel the ruse was tried on some of those who had come from Britain to see The Company. After my friend reported the problem to DCI and to Indy conventions office, he received a very distasteful and rude letter from the hotel mgr. And my friend is a loyalty club member staying at the hotel on loyalty club points!!  Caveat emptor. 

On 12/20/2017 at 11:56 AM, xandandl said:

This may be of interest to those going to Indy for championships and staying at Indy hotels.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/customer-charged-350-after-leaving-negative-review-for-indiana-hotel-lawsuit-alleges/

Last year one Indy Downtown hotel tried slipping in charges for valet parking and car lot overnight charges as seen by me on the exit bill of one of the parties with whom I dined during Finals week. However, the person didn't have a car, so why the charges. It seems that the same time at same hotel the ruse was tried on some of those who had come from Britain to see The Company. After my friend reported the problem to DCI and to Indy conventions office, he received a very distasteful and rude letter from the hotel mgr. And my friend is a loyalty club member staying at the hotel on loyalty club points!!  Caveat emptor. 

Although I'm not entirely sure how the practices of Nashville, IN and Indianapolis, IN hotels are related, there is one thing you could learn here. If a hotel is violating state law (which it appears this hotel in Nashville, Indiana did), the Indiana State Attorney General will pursue a case on the people's behalf. Good for them. :thumbs-up:

Edited by mingusmonk

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

I saw this today as well! I was stunned.

Honestly? I'd move Finals to Bloomington. Perhaps make it a sort of regional affair. Bloomington is only an hour south of Indianapolis. The one and only Finals to be hosted there had something that ALL of the finals at Indy have NEVER had...

Atmosphere. 

That stadium essentially makes for a WALL of humanity. I remember playing there at Preview of Champions in 92 and I remember thinking then.. "God I hope DCI sees some sense and hosts finals here..."

Perhaps keep Open class in Michigan City and use the Downtown Indy area for stuff like I&E, Drumline Battle, Soundsport etc, but as for Finals? Move that to Bloomington. Lucas Oil is a dreadful venue. The acoustics are truly terrible. I know I will not even consider going to DCI Finals while it's there. Short of all that?

Open the roof.

47 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Honestly? I'd move Finals to Bloomington. Perhaps make it a sort of regional affair. Bloomington is only an hour south of Indianapolis. The one and only Finals to be hosted there had something that ALL of the finals at Indy have NEVER had...

Atmosphere. 

That stadium essentially makes for a WALL of humanity. I remember playing there at Preview of Champions in 92 and I remember thinking then.. "God I hope DCI sees some sense and hosts finals here..."

Perhaps keep Open class in Michigan City and use the Downtown Indy area for stuff like I&E, Drumline Battle, Soundsport etc, but as for Finals? Move that to Bloomington. Lucas Oil is a dreadful venue. The acoustics are truly terrible. I know I will not even consider going to DCI Finals while it's there. Short of all that?

Open the roof.

You have some good points. The first finals I attended was Foxboro in 1994. Up to that time, nearly all the shows I attended were at Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA, which had the nickname "The Toilet Bowl" by the opponents of Lynn Classical, Lynn English, Lynn Tech, and St.Mary's, the four schools who called Manning Bowl home (it's now Manning Field with a much smaller seating section but it's a great venue for high school events, though the sun in July is not cooperative for drum corps viewing). BC Stadium and Harvard Staduim were other venues, as were larger high schools. Going to Foxboro felt kind of sterile. That changed once the show started, but it lacked a certain feel. 

Today I go to Indy and I do feel it has some atmosphere, but I sit in the same section, see the same folks, and most of all it's vacation time, so these factors create a bit of atmosphere. Now I have never been to Bloomington, but if I had to suggest another Indiana venue, I don't think this Boston College wannabe is being disloyal by suggesting South Bend and Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, Cainan said:

Atmosphere. 

Open the roof.

with those windows at the ends, the roof actually helps more than hurts

20 minutes ago, Tim K said:

You have some good points. The first finals I attended was Foxboro in 1994. Up to that time, nearly all the shows I attended were at Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA, which had the nickname "The Toilet Bowl" by the opponents of Lynn Classical, Lynn English, Lynn Tech, and St.Mary's, the four schools who called Manning Bowl home (it's now Manning Field with a much smaller seating section but it's a great venue for high school events, though the sun in July is not cooperative for drum corps viewing). BC Stadium and Harvard Staduim were other venues, as were larger high schools. Going to Foxboro felt kind of sterile. That changed once the show started, but it lacked a certain feel. 

Today I go to Indy and I do feel it has some atmosphere, but I sit in the same section, see the same folks, and most of all it's vacation time, so these factors create a bit of atmosphere. Now I have never been to Bloomington, but if I had to suggest another Indiana venue, I don't think this Boston College wannabe is being disloyal by suggesting South Bend and Notre Dame.

the only "band" allowed on that field is the school's band

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

the only "band" allowed on that field is the school's band

Right, Notre Dame does not rent their stadium out to events not related to ND Football.