Cadets Announce 2017 Program

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Cadets are always criticized (even by myself) for playing music from the past.

Every Corps plays " music from the past".

I don't recall any of the Corps from 2016 playing music that was written by outsiders in 2016. So whether a Corps is doing a redo or  music they have never done before, its more than likely " old music ". Some of the " old music " we routinely hear played in DCI Drum Corps was composed over 100, 200, 300 years ago. That sure fits my personal definition of " old music " anyway. Bernstein's " Mass " was written far more recently than that " old music " too,

Edited by BRASSO

27 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Every Corps plays " music from the past".

I don't recall any of the Corps from 2016 playing music that was written by outsiders in 2016. So whether a Corps is doing a redo or  music they have never done before, its more than likely " old music ". Some of the " old music " we routinely hear played in DCI Drum Corps was composed over 100, 200, 300 years ago. That sure fits my personal definition of " old music " anyway. Bernstein's " Mass " was written far more recently than that " old music " too,

What is your point? I know every corps plays music from the past. HIS point was that every OTHER corps is criticized for playing music from the past, but NOT The Cadets; the point to which I was responding.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Lol what freaking universe are you living on? Care to go back to 2009? How about 2013? Or maybe even 2014? Cadets are always criticized (even by myself) for playing music from the past.

You are spot on sir. Some have very short memories!

So, thought:  

ex., Malaguena - amazing, but it's 5 minutes long, it's repetitive and has fairly simple song structure.  Only so many fresh takes you can get out of it.  

Bernstein's Mass - amazing, and 2 hours long, it's got a lonngg historical context of the Mass itself, the FBI/Nixon thing to draw upon, etc. Way more material for interpretation and material to use.   

I'm less upset about the re-use of Mass vs. short jazz/pop songs :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Lol what freaking universe are you living on? Care to go back to 2009? How about 2013? Or maybe even 2014? Cadets are always criticized (even by myself) for playing music from the past.

You forgot to mention 2016:

"the corps is playing Pines of Rome...which has been covered so many times that it is almost boring."  Mike Rapp, June 21, 2016

" Pines of Rome " ?.... lets see,.... who has played played" Pines of Rome " before :

Hawthorne Muchachos ( almost won a DCI Title with it )....... 1975, 1976.

Cavaliers.............................................................................1982, 1983, 1984

Star of Indiana.( won a DCI Title playing it )............................1991

Phantom Regiment...................................................................1998

Phoenix....................................................................................1998

Cadence...................................................................................1998

US Naval Academy...................................................................2001

Hawthorne Caballeros..............................................................2002

Presidents................................................................................2004, 2005

Legends......................................................................................2010

Reading Buccaneers ( won a DCA Title with it ).........................2010

Boston Crusaders.......................................................................2012     Brasso, October 3, 2015

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

i've never liked bernstein's mass, and have only watched Cadets 83 a couple of times.

so it'll be pretty fresh for me. 

hoping the original composition/incidental stuff is extremely incidental. i'd rather hear west side story or appalachian spring again than original music. 

no matter what, i'm excited for this corps. 

55 minutes ago, Lance said:

i've never liked bernstein's mass, and have only watched Cadets 83 a couple of times.

hoping the original composition/incidental stuff is extremely incidental. i'd rather hear west side story or appalachian spring again than original music. 

Personally, I never thought any of those pieces were particularly exciting in the 80s (specifically played by Cadets in the past, not the source music {disclaimer, I have never actually listed to the source music for Bernstein's Mass}, but the music The Cadets arranged). Part of it obviously has to do with the fact that I didn't really appreciate the music because I was not of age to even know what music was. I'm hoping Cadets do great with what they have this year because I want an exciting, baby-throwing show from them this year.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lance said:

amen.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

What is your point? I know every corps plays music from the past. HIS point was that every OTHER corps is criticized for playing music from the past, but NOT The Cadets; the point to which I was responding.

Regarding this question then, I find it is generally the LOWER placing Corps that we find being criticised for playing music from the past ( or that other Corps have played before ) than any of the G7 Corps. The G7 Corps, in my experience anyway, tend to be given a pass when they play music played before by other Corps, or a they do a redo of a show they themselves have done before. I don't see the Cadets getting quite the criticism for playing previously played music that you apparently do. If a lower placing, non G7 Corps, announced today that they would be playing ( for example ) " Jingle Bells " ( or BD's " Happy Days Are Here Again" ) they'd be excoriated on here for a preseason announcement of such music selections, imo. Thats how I assess this anyway.

Edited by BRASSO