Evolution of the Revolution

As we currently stand, with show and uniform releases trickling in, I am really feeling the vibe that this season is going to be a huge departure from the last few seasons in programming, look and sound. 

I've been watching corps for a loooong time now, and I'm struggling to think of another year where the expectations for a DCI "cultural revolution" were quite this strong. Maybe with the brass switch in 2000 (though corps did it fairly piecemeal), or when everyone suddenly veered avant-garde and symphonic in '92 and '93? Or maybe the end of the '70's style of DCI after The Cadets changed the game?

i guess my question is - can you feel it coming in the air tonight, so to speak, and have you felt it before?

Mike

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MikeN said:

As we currently stand, with show and uniform releases trickling in, I am really feeling the vibe that this season is going to be a huge departure from the last few seasons in programming, look and sound. 

I've been watching corps for a loooong time now, and I'm struggling to think of another year where the expectations for a DCI "cultural revolution" were quite this strong. Maybe with the brass switch in 2000 (though corps did it fairly piecemeal), or when everyone suddenly veered avant-garde and symphonic in '92 and '93? Or maybe the end of the '70's style of DCI after The Cadets changed the game?

i guess my question is - can you feel it coming in the air tonight, so to speak, and have you felt it before?

Mike

I can sense some kind of paradigm shift coming, but I'm not sure what it is going to be.  From what I've seen and heard, there's going to be a lot more contemporary works in various genres.  Definitely some mixing of old with new.  Some of the uniforms are a little wild, but others aren't that big of a change. I cannot wait to see what the majority will be like.  Basically, I can't say too much without going into specifics and ruining things.  I don't know everything that's going on, but from what I do know, it should be an interesting year in that a bunch of corps are trying news things at the same time.  It's exciting.

Not sure how this period of change would compare to other changes.

all it took was a look at what got rewarded last year for me to know there was going to be big changes with uniforms and music

i'm hoping other corps use it all in a way i like better than bloo's template

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Well, if you are looking for a prediction on ( for example ) Corps themes " vibe ", while there will be some notable exceptions, my prediction for the overall sense of the nature of the 2017 Corps themes.... taken as a collective whole this season..... will be a WGI like " vibe " in DCI this summer of anger, angst, darkness,  confusion,  depression, disharmony, bad dreams, lost love, lost earth, lost souls, natural disasters, etc. It will be armageddon like.. filled with potential ghosts, witches, vampires, Satan, alien creatures, the boogieman ( haha!) and the like. For a visual sense of such a collection of " vibes ", it will probably be something like this, imo :

Edited by BRASSO

A part of me wants to say I feel this way every season, but I could be wrong on that.

But I will say, accessibility (specifically meaning shows that a non-drum corps fan will like) has been on the rise for the past few years, and last year a truly accessible show won. Winners have a tendency to set a precedence, and I really feel like we're on the verge of having a legitimate top-to-bottom roster of mostly accessible shows. Drum corps' never going to go mainstream, but the more we can engage with non-fans, the better success we'll see.

That said, last season also gave me a lot of the same chills I got in '08, and that was followed up by at least one year that I call a dud. So I'm also fearful of the same in '17.

• Like 1

I don’t see it, it’s a slow creep that continued its progression and paid off for some corps last year. For all the hype on Bluecoats uniform, they reminded me of the broke, little corps of days of yore that pieced together a uniform. Nothing new. Heavy use of electronics? Nothing new. Massive props interacting with the marchers? Nothing new.

Many of these trends will continue and many corps will fall on their facing poorly employing them, a few will get it right, some may push it forward just enough and a more traditional show will also do well. Just as it always is.

Sometimes I think people don’t get good design, well done shows, because they get caught up in the window dressing and miss the more subtle, truly creative aspects

I think this OP and sentiment speaks more to the fans on this boards that want to be the first to jump on a band wagon, claim they recognized it first and they were there. Perhaps they think it enhances their artistic creditability, I dunno, maybe it’s just bando

Edited by cowtown

22 hours ago, MikeN said:

Unfortunately, the impending revolution has NOT all been a pack of lies...