Evolution of the Revolution

I believe Drummantx and me had a discussion about this in another thread.  This is the first year where we are about to see a complete change, and I would argue everything is changing for the better.  I think we've had it coming with how top drum corps have pushed the activity in the last four years.  There is alot of things riding on this season too:

Will Cavies keep momentum and continue to gain in placement?

What will staff changes do to BAC?

What will staff changes do to Crown?

Can Cadets get back on the upswing?

What will BD, Bloo and the rest of the top corps do to further the crazy show designs being pushed out?

I wonder how FloMarching will affect drum corps on the media side of things?

Who will survive the brutal battle for the last few finals spots (OC, Mandarins, Colts, BDB, Madison, Crossmen, Academy, Troopers and BAC)

How will the Blue Knights food truck hold up in the upcoming season?

Can PR hang on to a top ten placement?

Will SCV once again medal?

...and I could go on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on..........and on.  I think we gonna see new things happen off the field too.  Drum corps is slowly but surely becoming more mainstream as well.  A good example is Ben Gunnarson's championship encore headcam just hit a million views, which alot of those rewatches are by me, but I have to imagine a certain number of them came from people who dont know what drum corps is.  Its also gonna be interesting to see how corps continue to run their social media and are able to grow drum corps.  Anyways, those are just a few of the ways I see the activity changing in the coming year or two.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Drum corps is slowly but surely becoming more mainstream as well.  A good example is Ben Gunnarson's championship encore headcam just hit a million views, which alot of those rewatches are by me, but I have to imagine a certain number of them came from people who dont know what drum corps is.  

Not sure that view count proves anything about drum corps being main stream.   How many MB kids watch youtube?  Here you have a championship show posted online that was NOT taken down by DCI.  The analytics on the vid sure would be interesting.   How many unique viewers?  

Not saying your opinion is wrong -- I"m just not convinced the view count proves it.

Top result for "drum corps" on youtube?  Those crazy swiss drummer guys.  

Top results for "DCI"?  Blast :-)  2nd?  A video of a BMW racing a Lancia!  

On a related topic - wonder how much he made off that vid :-) 

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

.    Drum corps is slowly but surely becoming more mainstream as well.  A good example is Ben Gunnarson's championship encore headcam just hit a million views.

Whoa.. reign in that horse of yours as he's got too much giddy up in him, and he might gallop off into the ravine on ya.

DCI is becoming " mainstream " ? Because some guy with a webcam DCI video has a million views on Youtube ?

Top Secret Drum Corps ( what a name, huh? .. given our DCI times) in 4 years has close to 15 million views on one performance alone on Youtube. I don't think however that based upon this 15 mill of views that anyone is going to make the claim that the Edinborough Military Tattoo is now becoming " mainstream ".  hmnnnn... I don't think so.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Whoa.. reign in that horse of yours as he's got too much giddy up in him, and he might gallop off into the ravine on ya.

DCI is becoming " mainstream " ? Because some guy with a webcam DCI video has a million views on Youtube ?

Top Secret Drum Corps ( what a name, huh? .. given our DCI times) in 4 years has close to 15 million views on one performance alone on Youtube. I don't think however that based upon this 15 mill of views that anyone is going to make the claim that the Edinborough Military Tattoo is now becoming " mainstream ".  hmnnnn... I don't think so.

Whooooooooaaaaaaaaaaa.....Brasso...calm down.  Thats just one example.  I probably should have given more evidence if I knew people would be critical.  I mean let me give some more....

Blue Knights Bahrain

Bluecoats Hong Kong

*Clash of the Corps

Spirit at NASCAR

Crossmen at the SuperBowl

SCV at the Rose Bowl

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

On a related topic - wonder how much he made off that vid :-) 

I know somebody who had a video go viral.   If youre lucky it seems you can get a few grand.  It doesnt appear that Mr. Gunnarson put ads on his video though....so probably nothing.

Edited by BoaDci

4 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Whooooooooaaaaaaaaaaa.....Brasso...calm down.  Thats just one example.  I probably should have given more evidence if I knew people would be critical.  I mean let me give some more....

Blue Knights Bahrain

Bluecoats Hong Kong

*Clash of the Corps

Spirit at NASCAR

Don't forget SCV at the Rose Bowl Parade.

( but none of this makes DCI Drum Corps " mainstream",, but you're on such a roll, I won't rain on your parade, any more on it )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

( but none of this makes DCI Drum Corps " mainstream",, but you're on such a roll, I won't rain on your parade, any more on it )

I am truly honored.

14 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I am truly honored.

well just take a bow, and get off the stage. Don't be like those Hollywood loons that tell their fellow back slappers in the audience how " truly honored" they are and want to thank their accountant, their agent, their hair stylist, their security guard, their limo driver, their cook, their company, their producer, their banker, their lawyer, their mistress, their gigolo, their shrink, the Wife, the kids, their yada yada yada,,, zzzzzzzzz..... zzzzzzz...yada yada yada..... commercial break.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Do Presidential Inaugural Parades count?

Only to those that are counting.

28 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Blue Knights Bahrain

Bluecoats Hong Kong

*Clash of the Corps

Spirit at NASCAR

SCV at the Rose Bowl

these are better.  you could start back with colorguard appearing on Glee, contemporary color, virtually every NFL team now fielding a drumline, etc... viral memes are fun but they rapidly burn out and disappear.  imo it would be far better to dramatically increase the amount of content than to create one-off viral videos (although monetizing a video could be a heck of a way to pay for your dues!) 

so

one the one hand, there's been a tiny, itty, bitty, minuscule  expansion of the niche.  

on the other hand, it's still mostly invisible.

on the gripping hand,  in today's  my-refigerator-talks-to-my-thermostat interconnected world, it might not take much of a kick to get things rolling.     

• Like 1