Evolution of the Revolution

For just 2 examples ( of several others that could be cited )Teal Sound ( electric rock guitars ) and Oregon Crusaders ( Violins ) were far ahead of their time in utilizing creative musical instruments for the first time in DCI that in future years will become far more common place, imo. The notion that only the elite Corps drive the activity is not supported by historical record. Yes, the elite Corps do indeed contribute extensively to shaping the activity. But to list these elite Corps, but make no mention of the creative contributions made by the non elite Corps in shaping the activity is not only unfortunate, it is wholly incomplete as well, imo. The first Corps to utilize electronics in DCI, lest we forget, at the time, was not even a TOP 12 DCI Drum Corps. The first use of both Narration, nor Singing in DCI was not initiated by any of the Elite DCI Corps at the time either.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, garfield said:

By far, my favorite Suncoast show.  That drum line, and particularly those bass drums, were hot as heck.

This was a beautiful show.

Very good DL. The bass line was my inspiration for a long tiime. Not that I played bass just that the high school I was involved with ,,,,, I wanted that base line to imitate them. 

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

For just 2 examples ( of several others that could be cited )Teal Sound ( electric rock guitars ) and Oregon Crusaders ( Violins ) were far ahead of their time in utilizing creative musical instruments for the first time in DCI that in future years will become far more common place, imo. The notion that only the elite Corps drive the activity is not supported by historical record. Yes, the elite Corps do indeed contribute extensively to shaping the activity. But to list these elite Corps, but make no mention of the creative contributions made by the non elite Corps in shaping the activity is not only unfortunate, it is wholly incomplete as well, imo. The first Corps to utilize electronics in DCI, lest we forget, at the time, was not even a TOP 12 DCI Drum Corps. The first use of both Narration, nor Singing in DCI was not initiated by any of the Elite DCI Corps at the time either.

This for sure over the years has happened often.Even in WGI many of the innovations do come from A class guards and developed to a more sophisticated level by other classes. Sometimes, I repeat sometimes the idea is there at lower levels but either not performed at it's fullest potential or written at a cohesive level. Nonetheless,  creativity is NOT exclusive to the elite.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

This for sure over the years has happened often.Even in WGI many of the innovations do come from A class guards and developed to a more sophisticated level by other classes. Sometimes, I repeat sometimes the idea is there at lower levels but either not performed at it's fullest potential or written at a cohesive level. Nonetheless,  creativity is NOT exclusive to the elite.

Truth.  Lots of amazing ideas that are "not fully realized" end up getting credited to a top level unit that has the horses to pull it off.  

• Like 2