Loudest Moments Ever???

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Great insight! Could an "overhonked" horn impact the GE score? I'm taking it from these comments the answer is probably no. 

My guess would be no as well.  GE is how well you "sell" the performance....audiences in the G era got stiffies at loud sounds, even if a bit crass.

Couple that with WHY they were playing so loud that particular night....do you know the story of Jim Ott?

1 hour ago, 84BDsop said:

My guess would be no as well.  GE is how well you "sell" the performance....audiences in the G era got stiffies at loud sounds, even if a bit crass.

Couple that with WHY they were playing so loud that particular night....do you know the story of Jim Ott?

If you get Sasquatch's story out, I'm gonna need a box or two of Kleenex.  Just warning you.  :sad:

1 hour ago, 84BDsop said:

I know that story very well. RIP, Jim. 

1991 Blue Devils horn line. I almost couldn't join the Navy in 1997 cause i couldn't pass my audiogram due to loss of hearing from that horn line.

• Like 3

Lots come to mind but there are two in particular that stand out. I can't remember the year exactly, maybe 90 SCV did Carmen?  There is a point in the show the entire corps is marching across the field and stop for about two seconds in a high step. The hit after that pause was short lived but I remember it being quite the surprise and incredibly loud!

The other is Blue Coats Boxer in 08. The trumpets sitting on top of the rest of the horn line were rediculos...and man that was loud!

• Like 1

I would have to agree with those who say that Spirit of Atlanta in the late 70s and early 80s were the loudest horn lines I have heard live.

I do have a couple of Phantom Regiment moments that stand out for me. I remember seeing the corps live in Cincinnati. Their opener  was Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings. The show started with the corps in a company front on the front side line. The opening hit came out of nowhere at quadruple-forte (all horns, no percussion, if memory serves). Maybe not the very loudest moment I've heard, but still pretty overwhelming. Beautiful, legato, sustained power. 

And as far as encore performances go, listening to 2003 Phantom Regiment playing Canon in D in a standstill performance was like standing behind a jet airliner at takeoff. Amazing!

On 6/12/2017 at 1:35 PM, 84BDsop said:

Just to let you know...shows of that era were 11:30-13 minutes long (the current 10-11:30 show length started with the 1986 season).

There was a single shot from a timing gun on the first step or first note of music, and that's when judging began.

At the 11:30 mark, there would be 2 shots, indicating 1) 90 seconds of show time max remaining, and 2) cessation of all judging EXCEPT for General Effect.

This is why that blaring brass at the end of '80 SoA did nothing to hurt the brass score...same for the horrible ensemble tear at the end of 82 SCV.

A lot of corps would save their most difficult or error prone music and drill for those last 90 seconds.

If you hear any non GE judge tapes from the era, you'll never hear the ending of the show, because they raised their clipboards and turned the recorders off.

There was also a single gun shot at the 13 minute mark to indicate a corps going over time, which incurred a penalty.   You can hear it on 81 Cavies at Whitewater -- where they WERE penalized -- and 83 SoA, where they avoided it by the skin of their teeth.

This changed in 1984...all judging ran for the entire length of the show...no timing guns.

I think DCA had the gun up until sometime in the early 2000s.  I hear it on SoCal Dream's '04 vid.

And best use of that timing gun was 1981 Bridgemen who used it for the killing of "Tony" in West Side Story.  True Bobby Hoffman greatness in that moment!

• Like 1